Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2016, 3:31 PM Reply   
I need an obd2 scan tool so in looking at my options it doesn't appear to be much more to get one that plugs into the obd2 port and bluetooth streams data to an app (i use an iphone) does anyone have a recomendation or first hand experience with one? I know there is a fairly decent option on amazon for $15 but looking up codes on a computer after the fact seems like a pain. I'd like to know on the spot what the code is and means.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2016, 3:57 PM Reply   
I bought an cheapie on Amazon (>$10) and it worked pretty well with my Android device.... I got one for my bro and is Iphone couldn't find it.

The one I had worked with "Torque" app and was awesome. It would spit out a code and you could click "Code lookup" and it would take you to a page for that specific code. It could also clear codes (why I bought it) ... my wife's Lexus kept spitting out a code that would also disable her traction control. In the winter this was a pain in the ass.... she could just clear the code, get traction back for a week or ten until the code came back and all was well.

Also let you custom make screens with any/all the data it was grabbing from the car.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-21-2016, 10:18 PM Reply   
Use one occasionally, typically works fine. Code lookup was usually just as easy to lookup for specific model on Google.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-22-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
I got this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it with the torque app for data logging and diagnostics with my 6.0 powerstroke.
I used to use my laptop via my sct programmer and this makes life much easier.
The only thing is I have heard that the ease of hacking into bluetooth and outsiders having the ability to mess with your ecu if left on and unattended. So I just unplug it when not being used.
But I have never had any issue using androids and torque with that piece.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-22-2016, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
I need an obd2 scan tool so in looking at my options it doesn't appear to be much more to get one that plugs into the obd2 port and bluetooth streams data to an app (i use an iphone) does anyone have a recomendation or first hand experience with one? I know there is a fairly decent option on amazon for $15 but looking up codes on a computer after the fact seems like a pain. I'd like to know on the spot what the code is and means.
You expect a 15$ scanner to give you the world. Buy a more expensive scanner? Ones that are not as portable i.e. not a simple plug in dongle with bluetooth, will have more features like telling you what the code is or ability to read srs or abs codes.

If you want to spend some dollars buy one like this https://www.otctools.com/products/tr...can-abs-airbag
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurex View Post
You expect a 15$ scanner to give you the world. Buy a more expensive scanner? Ones that are not as portable i.e. not a simple plug in dongle with bluetooth, will have more features like telling you what the code is or ability to read srs or abs codes.

If you want to spend some dollars buy one like this https://www.otctools.com/products/tr...can-abs-airbag
Nobody spending $20 has an expectation of the world, nor was that expectation stated. Draw your own conclusion if you'd like. Looking for an inexpensive solution to read a check engine light on my work truck and then decided to explore other options as there's plenty out there for less than $100. Ended up with a wifi model from amazon and will give it a shot with one of the apps. This seems to offer more bang for the buck than a hand held plug in type if it works. Thanks for the input guys, I would give you the world if I could.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-22-2016, 12:12 PM Reply   
Report back after you get it. I've wanted to get one for my Iphone too. Just to keep in the truck, I can't tell you how many time I've been a family members house and they tell me a check engine light is on. I would be so nice to say hey this is wrong.
Old     (rcazwillis)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-22-2016, 2:15 PM Reply   
I use one with torque on Android. Works great. Code lookup is easy. Can reset codes. Custom gauges are fun to play with, but not practice for daily use
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-23-2016, 7:35 AM Reply   
I cant believe Torque hasn't stepped up and made it compatible with IOS . I really want one too
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-23-2016, 8:30 AM Reply   
Torque doesn't work on the iphones?
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-23-2016, 9:08 AM Reply   
Sounds like torque is the way to go for android not sure about iOS. The obd adapter arrives today and I think I'll probably try the fusion app with it. It's $10 and seems like it is pretty capable with even some extra stuff for gm and ford built into it. Will report back after I play around with it.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-23-2016, 12:36 PM Reply   
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IGO9DA...ing=UTF8&psc=1
theres the link to the reader i purchased. bought the fusion app for 9.99 in the app store. pretty simple it used the obd2 ports power to operate. you open wifi in the phone settings add the obd2 as the network and then open the app and hit connect. it asks for a vehicle setup if its the first time connecting and once thats done its up and running. It takes a little bit of time for it to pull the readings maybe 45 sec to a min but it showed 2 pending trouble codes and the current one that triggered the CEL. I was able to clear it and then have it re scan the vehicle to see if anything showed up pending again. Theres a function to look up the code fix online from within the app but it was pretty slow so it would probably be better to disconnect and then look that up later. It also showed real time values with the engine running of fuel usage, maf reading, o2 sensor, throttle position, coolant temp etc. Similar to what an EDGE Cts can see as i had one on my now sold duramax except its probably got a bit more lag time and is also about $350 cheaper than one of those. I wouldn't use this as a replacement by any means but it could point you in the right direction if something was amiss. Well worth $12 plus the $10 app purchase for ease of use and handy to have. I'll probably buy a couple more readers just to throw in the glove box of all my vehicles as it would be handy if a CEL ever came up while on a long trip or a friend had a problem etc.