Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Ccamp2)      Join Date: May 2012       06-23-2016, 11:54 AM Reply   
I locked my search down to two boats.

2016 NXT 20 or an Axis A22.. Both of them have similar options and both about the same price.

Thoughts?

Again appreciate eveyones help and input
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-23-2016, 12:01 PM Reply   
You would be CRAZY to go with the NXT 20 over the A22.

Axis, all day long.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-23-2016, 12:14 PM Reply   
If you're considering a 20' boat why not consider an A20? We were pleasantly surprised by how much room there is inside this boat and with a ton of options (including surf gate) we were still something like $4k under the "base MSRP" listed on the MC web site for the NXT 20.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2016, 12:17 PM Reply   
I don't have any experience with the NXT. I also have never seen one on the water. I can only speak for the Axis A22. I have a 2015 now with 240 hours on it and it's been an amazing boat. I primarily wakeboard, and the wake is very good. The new transmission lets you pull a ton of weight, even with the smaller motor. I would definitely make the Axis purchase again.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-23-2016, 12:29 PM Reply   
A friend of mine recently demo'd a NXT 22 and a T23 side by side and said that the Axis wake blew away the NXT.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-23-2016, 1:11 PM Reply   
I have not rode behind either boat but I have crawled around both. I see plenty of axis on our lake and they all seem to be throwing out awesome looking wakes, both surf and wakeboard. overall build was solid imo. I really like the looks of them too.

NXT was by far the worst looking new inboard, inside and out, I have been in. Felt like MC threw vinyl seats in it and called it a day. Dash was terrible, and no real styling at all. Tower looks cheap and ugly. All of this my personal opinion of course. Can't speak on the wake though, it might be decent
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-23-2016, 1:18 PM Reply   
Get the biggest boat you can afford. I would go A22 all day long over the NXT and I own a MC!
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       06-23-2016, 1:24 PM Reply   
Any mastercraft is gonna have the best build quality out of all of them. That being said I've seen a lot of disappointment from the nxt wakes and waves. I believe that the mastercraft is the better quality product but the performance of the axis is better
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2016, 1:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC View Post
Any mastercraft is gonna have the best build quality out of all of them. That being said I've seen a lot of disappointment from the nxt wakes and waves. I believe that the mastercraft is the better quality product but the performance of the axis is better
They all produce great boats, with an exception here and there.
I've seen every brand fall apart, blow up, or fail in some way.... Including my Mastercrafts (I've owned 5). That's me rolling my eyes at the build quality crap.

Last edited by jarrod; 06-23-2016 at 1:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-23-2016, 2:09 PM Reply   
A22 all day long. You're getting twice the boat with twice the wake

Last edited by xstarrider; 06-23-2016 at 2:18 PM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-23-2016, 2:22 PM Reply   
I have the same experience.
They all fail but....

Initial quality on MCs is a let down. I have historically had my worst experiences in MCs.

Axis and Nautique have been most reliable for us and have had the greates value/dollar.

As always YMMV.

I vote axis, too.
Old     (Ccamp2)      Join Date: May 2012       06-29-2016, 8:39 AM Reply   
bump.. the Axis does not have a surf gate.. I am leaving tomorrow to pick one of them up.. any more thoughts?
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-29-2016, 11:02 AM Reply   
You can get an A20 with surf gate and a whole bunch of options for ~10k less than the a22. You should check it out. If you don't go out with a ton of people all the time it might work.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-30-2016, 6:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccamp2 View Post
bump.. the Axis does not have a surf gate.. I am leaving tomorrow to pick one of them up.. any more thoughts?
I bought one of those rare 2015+ A22s without a surfgate. Do I wish I had it... absolutely but I couldn't have afforded a 2015 with the system. The equivalent boat with the gates was literally $10K more.

Keep that in mind for resale too. The non-surfgate boats are a lot harder to move and generally bring a good bit less so make sure you factor it into your buying price.

All this being said, I DIYed a suckgate for it for less than $50 and the surf wave is great.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-30-2016, 6:13 AM Reply   
Uhh surfgate was a $2,917.00 option for 2016 which was a big increase over the 2015 system, so there should absolutely not be a 10k difference between a surfgate and non surfgate boat.

The cost difference between and 2016 a20 and 2016 a22 with nothing on it is $5,667.00

Therefore the cost difference between an a20 with gate and an a22 without gate is 2,750.00.

I am literally looking at the build sheets for the boats right now.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       06-30-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
did you see my Demo 2016 NXT 22 on www.theliquidedge.com She's pretty sweet!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-01-2016, 6:17 AM Reply   
For this comparison, what are your thoughts on how these boats perform weighted down at altitude? My main lake is 6000' above sea level (Utah). I like both boats, leabing toward A22. Do I need to find a motor upgrade?
Old     (Luciano77)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-01-2016, 6:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
For this comparison, what are your thoughts on how these boats perform weighted down at altitude? My main lake is 6000' above sea level (Utah). I like both boats, leabing toward A22. Do I need to find a motor upgrade?
With the new tranny ratio and the correct propeller the job will be done Ok.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-01-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
I was looking at both of these boats last year when thinking of buying new. The NXT20 left me with the feeling of being the most overpriced, least bang for the buck boat on the market. I'd take the A22 in heartbeat over the NXT20. Heck, I'd take an A20 over an NXT 20.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-01-2016, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano77 View Post
With the new tranny ratio and the correct propeller the job will be done Ok.

Ill throw in that I currently have an 03' VLX that I run 3300 lbs in, no wedge, with the acme 2079. This has the 335 Monsoon Engine. With 3 people (2 in boat, 1 on board), full gas tank, it's great. If more people come out, I usually dump a little weight to offset them. Otherwise I start having planing issues.

I've been wanting an A22 after riding one 2 summers ago. Love the design and the wake was impressive. Never ridden the NXT though but I saw one out the other day and it caught my eye.

Maybe my best bet is to convince the dealer I need a demo totally sacked out at elevation...