Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Batch12)      Join Date: May 2017       07-04-2017, 7:46 PM Reply   
My very first attempt at a ralley 😂😂

https://www.facebook.com/beau.atchis...73337042988887
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       07-04-2017, 8:42 PM Reply   
Can't watch. Gotta change privacy settings probably.
You're still alive so must have went well
Old     (Batch12)      Join Date: May 2017       07-05-2017, 10:08 AM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KOcpvr7reU

1:43 is where the raley is
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-05-2017, 11:05 AM Reply   
You bounced LOL

Your driver looks like they are always making a small turn. They need to go straight.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-05-2017, 11:38 AM Reply   
and they need to drive the same speed
you need to hit the wake TS
rotate phone 90°
please do some edging drills before you get worked throwing things you don't plan on landing

Last edited by denverd1; 07-05-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-05-2017, 12:19 PM Reply   
Here's the long how-to on the raley that will help you big time.

The bad:

Setup - Never start a raley that close to the wake
Edge - You're bending at the waist and killing your speed build up
Pop - Never, ever flatten out the board for a raley
Takeoff - Don't try to muscle this trick. The wake should be doing the work to get the board behind you

The corrections:

Setup - Start much further out away from the wake. This lets you build up more speed and gives you a little more time to set up the trick
Edge - Straighten your back, bend your knees, and get your butt low. If you're taking a raley big, you should feel like you're pulling a heavy deadlift against the boat. Keep your balance slightly heavy on the front leg for takeoff (explained below).
Pop - Edge allllllll the way through the wake. Never flatten off, BUT do let off your edge at the bottom of the wake and start to stand tall. This body-going-up movement should be somewhat relaxed for the next step, which gets the board up behind you...
Takeoff - Now that you're relaxed, let the boat and the board do the work. The pop will throw the board behind you and your upper body just moves forward with the boat/rope. Everyone says to look up the rope to avoid stargazing, but this really doesn't help at all because they'll typically take off rear-foot heavy. By edging in with more weight on the front foot, you'll come off the wake much more square to the boat and won't stargaze so easy. So don't worry about "looking up" just get your weight in the right place on the edge and you'll be fine, just spot your landing. If your chest opens up to the shore, you're too rear-foot heavy. If you front roll into it, you're too heavy on the front --- find your balance point.
Landing - When you're ready to bring it down, it's extremely easy. Do not pull the rope towards you, it does absolutely nothing. Instead, bringing a raley down is exactly like using one of those "ab roller" things. Let me explain. With the roller you start on your knees with your hands on the roller handles. You extend out by extending your knees and keeping your arms straight, then back in the same way --- you don't bend your arms to get the roller underneath you, but instead you use your shoulders to "push" the roller into the floor and bring it back underneath you while banding your knees back to the starting position. Raley is the exact same thing. Push the handle straight down to the water and bend you knees up to the handle. Spot your landing and you have it.

That's it. Good luck!
Old     (Batch12)      Join Date: May 2017       07-05-2017, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdsworth View Post
Here's the long how-to on the raley that will help you big time.

The bad:

Setup - Never start a raley that close to the wake
Edge - You're bending at the waist and killing your speed build up
Pop - Never, ever flatten out the board for a raley
Takeoff - Don't try to muscle this trick. The wake should be doing the work to get the board behind you

The corrections:

Setup - Start much further out away from the wake. This lets you build up more speed and gives you a little more time to set up the trick
Edge - Straighten your back, bend your knees, and get your butt low. If you're taking a raley big, you should feel like you're pulling a heavy deadlift against the boat. Keep your balance slightly heavy on the front leg for takeoff (explained below).
Pop - Edge allllllll the way through the wake. Never flatten off, BUT do let off your edge at the bottom of the wake and start to stand tall. This body-going-up movement should be somewhat relaxed for the next step, which gets the board up behind you...
Takeoff - Now that you're relaxed, let the boat and the board do the work. The pop will throw the board behind you and your upper body just moves forward with the boat/rope. Everyone says to look up the rope to avoid stargazing, but this really doesn't help at all because they'll typically take off rear-foot heavy. By edging in with more weight on the front foot, you'll come off the wake much more square to the boat and won't stargaze so easy. So don't worry about "looking up" just get your weight in the right place on the edge and you'll be fine, just spot your landing. If your chest opens up to the shore, you're too rear-foot heavy. If you front roll into it, you're too heavy on the front --- find your balance point.
Landing - When you're ready to bring it down, it's extremely easy. Do not pull the rope towards you, it does absolutely nothing. Instead, bringing a raley down is exactly like using one of those "ab roller" things. Let me explain. With the roller you start on your knees with your hands on the roller handles. You extend out by extending your knees and keeping your arms straight, then back in the same way --- you don't bend your arms to get the roller underneath you, but instead you use your shoulders to "push" the roller into the floor and bring it back underneath you while banding your knees back to the starting position. Raley is the exact same thing. Push the handle straight down to the water and bend you knees up to the handle. Spot your landing and you have it.

That's it. Good luck!
the first raley in the video wasnt the one i was talking about that was the 2nd attempted raley and i was much more timid
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-05-2017, 12:49 PM Reply   
I was talking about the one at 1:43. I didn't see the first one, just skipped forward to where in the vid you were referring to.

Last edited by holdsworth; 07-05-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: .
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-05-2017, 2:53 PM Reply   
Holy crap, you've got some balls to try a raley at your level of riding lol. The raley isn't technically difficult, but it's just one of the highest chance of injury tricks while learning (or so I've heard). Maybe my rib injuries have made me a bit more timid.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2017, 3:14 PM Reply   
If you want to help yourself behind that stern drive have your driver trim the motor up once on plane. Enough that the wake stops rolling over and will make a better wake for you. Never ceases to amaze me how many people just leave an adjustable leg all the way down no matter the water conditions. Adjusting can make for a better ride in rough water, speed the boat up when WOT, and clean up the wake.
Old     (Batch12)      Join Date: May 2017       07-05-2017, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
Holy crap, you've got some balls to try a raley at your level of riding lol. The raley isn't technically difficult, but it's just one of the highest chance of injury tricks while learning (or so I've heard). Maybe my rib injuries have made me a bit more timid.
Just gotta send it
Old     (Batch12)      Join Date: May 2017       07-05-2017, 3:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batch12 View Post
Just gotta send it
trust me ive tried but when we trim it up it goes to fast and we will gently slow down and at 20mph its not in plane anymore so we just leave it down its hard to explain on here
Old     (Batch12)      Join Date: May 2017       07-05-2017, 3:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
If you want to help yourself behind that stern drive have your driver trim the motor up once on plane. Enough that the wake stops rolling over and will make a better wake for you. Never ceases to amaze me how many people just leave an adjustable leg all the way down no matter the water conditions. Adjusting can make for a better ride in rough water, speed the boat up when WOT, and clean up the wake.
trust me ive tried but when we trim it up it goes to fast and we will gently slow down and at 20mph its not in plane anymore so we just leave it down its hard to explain on here
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-05-2017, 3:51 PM Reply   
Gotta walk before you can run man.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-05-2017, 5:38 PM Reply   
Put some weight in the boat.
Try a toe side jump.
Old     (Batch12)      Join Date: May 2017       07-05-2017, 6:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog78 View Post
Gotta walk before you can run man.
what do you mean?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2017, 8:49 AM Reply   
Beau, I grew up riding behind a 19' cuddy cabin with an outboard. The driver will constantly have to be on/off the throttle to hold speed but trimming up will make a better wake. Every time I would cut out I could slow the boat down. It's about the driver being on top of his game.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       07-09-2017, 9:58 PM Reply   
Awesome attempt mate! Despite the lack of love, it takes guts and you're most of the way there! I landed my first raley behind a fishing boat with a similar wake (and haven't landed one since!
Here's 2 fantastic videos that will help you land it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXa6lmilQrI&t=14s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttX0xu7Ak8
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-11-2017, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjaw View Post
Awesome attempt mate! Despite the lack of love, it takes guts and you're most of the way there! I landed my first raley behind a fishing boat with a similar wake (and haven't landed one since!
Here's 2 fantastic videos that will help you land it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXa6lmilQrI&t=14s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttX0xu7Ak8
Completely agree... can't learn without trying and most of the people I actually see riding just don't have the balls to try new tricks. So, you're one step ahead of most! If you've got a wakeskate, that's definitely a good way to practice.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-07-2017, 12:20 PM Reply   
I cant see the video either but from what people are saying I agree it takes the want to first and you seem to have that but getting a solid base IE learning strong big floaty W2Ws and getting your form down first will help get this consistent for you quicker as you can get CLOSE for years and never get it until you get a solid form down first..
Old     (Gary)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-07-2017, 8:16 PM Reply   
Check out the youtube videos posted above. I learned the raley this summer because of those videos. Definitely use a wakeskate or a wakeboard without bindings or a surf board to avoid such rough slams. otherwise follow the number one rule and have fun and keep shredding.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-08-2017, 1:54 PM Reply   
Every time I tried a raley on a wakeskate I would over extend and do a fully laid out front flip to the face. I made a full rotation before I hit the water because I was letting go when I felt like I couldn't control how high my feet went up. After so many of those I decide that wasn't the trick for me at the time LOL.

At least your trying!!!
Old     (gqjeff)      Join Date: Sep 2014       08-17-2017, 12:04 PM Reply   
Nice to see another IL rider. My sons 10 but a pretty solid rider. Hes just started to try and get inverted in the last few weeks. I haven't been the Shelbyville since I was a kid. Def a nice lake and we need to make it down sometime. We usually hit Clinton early and then r boat goes on a lift at our cabin near South Wilmington. Keep practicing and make sure your riding that progressive edge up that wake. Don;t let off the throttle. Also throw some fatsacs in that badboy and get that wake a little better. Good luck and be safe. Happy Shredding!