Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2011, 6:11 AM Reply   
I am looking at a new set of bindings. I may be tempted to go with a New LF Harley board too. I currently have 2008 LF Lyman 139 and 2008 Vantage OT. I want to go closed toe, and I haven't ridden much in the last 2 years. I can jump wake to wake HS and TS and HS+TS 180 grabs. This year I'm going to be riding a lot more than before, and am hoping to get an invert and 360s nailed.

So my question is about the 2011 LF watsons, the Harleys and the Vantage CTs. I've read all the technical details between the different bindings and I know for example that the Flex Level of the Watsons is 9, the Harleys is 8 and the Vantages are 6-8. What does this actually mean in terms of what's easier/harder when you're riding. What is the advantages and disadvantages of a high flex rating?

And I also notice that the Vantages and Watsons come on the AR6 chassis, and the Harleys are on the IP6 chassis? Whats the difference?

Finally, people who have any of these bindings or have tested some how did they all compare/how do you find what you have?

Thanks!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-03-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
AR6 chassis is for the high end bingings only (Watson, Shane, Soven). It has the air cell in the footbed, but the more notable difference is there is a difference in sizing. The AR6 has tighter size ranges for more specific fit (ie 8-9, 10-11, 12-13+). I don't think the aircell makes that much of a difference.

IP6 Chassis is on the rest of the line (Vantage, Ultra, Harley, Transit). The size ranges are a bit wider (ie 8-10, 10-12, 12-15) and I felt they ran a little big. For example, I'm a 12.5 to 13 shoe depending on brand, I ride the 2011 Shanes 12-13+ and they are a perfect fit. But I was swimming in the 12-15 IP6 chassis boots and would have wound up riding a 10-12. My toes were on the verge of hanging over the end of the footbed on the 10-12 Transits.

As far as the flex, the higher the number, the stiffer the boot. The Watson is the stiffest, most supportive boot in the line. All the LF boots are pretty good, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-03-2011, 1:48 PM Reply   
The flex rating doesnt really change the difficulty of the ride, it just allows for a more comfortable ride. Some people like the support, but I for one do not. I feel super uncomfortable in stiff bindings, so I ride the softest ones I can find. That being said, I've ridden the 2010 Watsons and they feel as soft as my Ronix Reliks do. So its all relative.
Old     (b33nine)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-03-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
Vantage CT is on the AR6 Chassis according to Liquid Force's website. Was hoping to grab the Vantages this year, but didn't have the patience for my store to get them in stock. Kind of hard to pass up on the package deal if you're looking at the Harley too.