Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       12-03-2014, 2:38 PM Reply   
Hey Guys, so when I try to start the boat on the first turn of the key, it won't start. The engine won't turn, just seems dead. If I turn the key maybe 2-3 more time and just hold it in the start position, it will fire up usually right then. Once started, I have no issues starting it again from that point on, unless it seems to sit for say several days or weeks. I've just changed the key ignition switch thinking maybe contacts were going bad, but still the same issue. I doubt it's a fuel issue cause the motor doesn't even turn. Maybe it's a starter issue? Any ideas on what it could be, or where I should check next?
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-03-2014, 6:30 PM Reply   
What engine do you have? On my black scorpion, there is a remote solenoid under the ECM.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-03-2014, 10:03 PM Reply   
Carbed, fuel injected? Need more details.
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       12-04-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
It's a 1997 MB Sports 210 with the PCM GT-40 motor. It's EFI as well. I haven't checked the ECM, but I'll look into that next.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-04-2014, 8:05 AM Reply   
It seems to me that its a connection issue. I'd start with cleaning the battery posts and connectors. Then the connectors on the key switch, then any junction points and the starter connections. Sometimes just unplugging and reconnecting the plugs on the engine wiring or ECM can help.
When it has not been running for some time the corrosion, although slight, can add enough resistance to drop power so the starter does not kick. As soon as electricity is flowing it kind of 'burns' a path that makes it easier.

Sometimes if you have a car that won't start in the cold it can actually help to turn the headlights on for a while to get the electricity flowing. Strange but true. Same effect.

Last edited by rallyart; 12-04-2014 at 8:07 AM.
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       12-04-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
Art, I was thinking of checking and cleaning the contacts as well. I'll try that this weekend if I get a chance and let everyone know if that helped or not. I appreciate the input! Also, this is the same battery since I bought the boat 2 years ago, so I am not sure how old it is prior. Maybe time for a new battery?
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       12-04-2014, 9:14 AM Reply   
I was having similar issues lat year. Check out this thread. http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802391
Not sure if you have one of those or not, but it fixed my issues. I was having issues for about 2 months.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-04-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
You can test that remote solenoid/relay with an electrical tester. If you consistently get juice to the ignition side and intermittently to the other side, you know thats your problem. W
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       12-04-2014, 12:59 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions and input. The thread that SoonerBilly helped provide a lot of ideas for me to test, so thanks for the link.

I'll check the solenoid/relay this weekend as well. I'll post up my results as soon as I get a chance to dig into this again!

Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-04-2014, 2:04 PM Reply   
Sounds like a bad starter solenoid. Mine had the exact same issue over the summer