Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-04-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
I was just wondering, since all these film makers are producing video's in HD, would you pay more for a high definition wake video? How many Wakeworlders have upgraded to HD DVD? Do you think it even matters to the kids?
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-04-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
If you mean Blue Ray, i still think its out of there budgets. But if it was i would buy some for sure!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-04-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
Now that BlueRay has won and HD TVs are much more affordable, I expect a massive swing from regular DVDs to high-def DVDs over the the coming year. In fact, I just returned my unwatched "planet earth" regular DVD set (xmas gift) for a blue ray DVD set in anticipation of getting a blue ray player in the next few months.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-04-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
man it kinda sucks to think that maybe in the future when all wake videos are high def we wont want to watch all the classics(videos from today, then) because there such bad quality comparitively.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-04-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
I will make the switch eventually, but I am not in any hurry. I watch a range of wake DVD's from over the years and I enjoy the fact that alot of them are 16 mm and other film formats. On the other side of the coin, when I watched The Truth for the first time, I was impressed with the quality and it set a new standard in my opinion.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-04-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
transgression and push process were recorded on hd camcorders which seem to produce better color saturation. I would love to see our sport in true 1080 hd but i am definately satisfied with the amazing quality of the downgraded 480 picture. I would definately buy true hd wake vids but i have a ps3. watching video from say a vx200 vs a fx7 is a difference in picture quality but i am satisfied watching lyman or vandall ripping in any type of definition no matter what.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-05-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
i for one would pay for a more high definitition video. my friend has blu-ray so i can use it whenever. i think to some point the younger ones dont really appreciate or nottice something that is very good and something that is great

it would be sweet for one day,to walk into an imax theater, in 3-d, and blu-ray and watch the truth
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-05-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
I think that a thousands of people (riders or not) will buy any blu-ray video that comes out for, wake.skate.snow.etc. What better way to show off picture quality than action videos. I buy some movies on BluRay that I would never consider buying. But if the picture rocks... I know it sounds lame, sorry.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-05-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Kids? I'm one of the adults and I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a movie player. I didn't even get a DVD player until a DVD drive came on my computer. The only wake videos that interest me are instructional and I can see what I need to see just on DVD. When the player is cheap and the videos are cheap, I'll consider buying but not until then.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-05-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
i think hd dvd's are gonna get phased out by blu-ray here soon...i didnt buy an HD DVD player bc of that. but i will buy a PS3 for blueray dvds soon.

so to answer ur question NO i wouldnt pay more for an HD DVD but i would pay a little more for one in Blu-ray
Old     (schrunk)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-05-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
Dave- I think Transgression was shot with 16mm and then scanned/captured to digital. As well in my opinion HD cam quality is only apparent when viewing in actual HD 720pxl or higher (DVD resolution depending on the aspect ratio is between 360 or 480). Of course the new HD cameras use the latest technology and largest CCD's, but "old" SD cameras used the same electronics at just a lower sensor (resolution) size. So when viewing at DVD resolution there isnt a difference all, everything else considered. I think push process looks so good because the digital transfer was so well color corrected and mastered, as well as excellent shooting in the first place!

Its the same thing if you had the same lens and camera body, but the difference was resolution. So if you shot at 10Megapixel and at 5 Megapixel but you were only printing out a 4x6, the difference in quality wont be apparent (lower size or resolution). However if you view at say 8x10 (an example of a larger size or resolution) its very apparent. I personally think that flim scanned in HD (because im a nut for true film) would be the best quality, but I wouldnt even want to know the cost on that process.

Either way I think that Blu-ray will be awesome for the sport. Anyone that has seen HD wake footage would agree that its super-slick looking, and if the electronic companies have anything to say about it they want us upgrading all our equipment to HD sets and blue-ray tomorrow.

Also I think there is a 720p version of the Godspeed trailer on the sidewayz site.
http://www.sidewayz.com/godspeed/subpage2.html
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-05-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
But the argument still is that Blue-ray replication is super expensive and i would think that its way out of all the action sports budget. Its been really this year that they switched to the HVX which still only 720p. Plus if they shot film and went to a HD transfer your talking some serious $$$$$. But if i was at a shop and they had HD dvds (blue-ray) i would buy those instead of the regular dvds. Also im sure you all know, but dont buy HD DVDs because Blue -Ray did when, unless you want to stock up because they are super cheap right now...
Old     (wake4chicks)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-05-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
yea it is def going to be a while until they start producing wake videos in blu-ray. not enough people have a blu-ray player. but i def think once more people have a blu-ray plaer they will start making them blu-ray. there are still not enough people who buy regular movies on blu-ray. i work at best buy n not many go out the door. i think it will be at least 2-3 yrs til wake related movies are on blu-ray. i could be wrong and i hope i am cuz it would be sik to watch some wakeboarding in 1080p on a 50 in screen with an amazing surround sound.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-05-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
It'd be sweet if you partnered with Amazon or Xboxlive and made it avail for download.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-05-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
I will be making the jump from DVD to Blu ray. Just curious - will a blu ray player play regular DVD's?
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
most blu-ray players will play dvds, but you should always double check on the specs of whatever player you buy.