Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-30-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
I am in works of joining a private lake. The problem is the lake is only five and half feet deep. I know the wake is not going to get huge but am I wondering how much it will affect the wake. Let me know your opinions, BCP Mike
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-30-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
You can make a wake in 5.5 feet, but it wont be as good as somewhere it's 10+ feet. Just ask anyone that's ridden in bell aqua. I think it's around 5ft in the center.

You'll get a wake, but it'll lose a lot of it's peak. They just seem flat. We run into it at the delta, too. We always knew the shallow spots by what our wake did. Now that we've got a depth finder we've really confirmed our findings. 5-6 feets seems to be the breaking point for a good wake.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-30-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Mike in a lake like that I would say you will loose 1/2 of what your wake is in a deep lake. At the spot we ride its about 8 to 10 feet deep. When we turn around at the end it gets to about 5 feet and you can watch the wake shrink. If you want to see what you boat will do go to Modesto Res in the ski corse its about 5 feet back there. Hope that helps.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-30-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
well my deal is that I can still ride tulloch when it is nice which is like never. But I figure I can ride this other lake whenever I want and it is butter all of the time. I can still work on spins and other stuff with the smaller wake.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-30-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
Mike, Here is a pic of my wake at BV, where its 5-6 feet deep. Yes you can get a wake in that depth. It may not be as tall as in 10+ feet, but as you can see, still very nice.

Upload
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-30-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Riding in a shallow lake will only make you that much better in open water. But I think that you will get sick of riding a small wake when you know your boat can do more. I know I was we rode a privite lake in college and we always drove 30min to go to the open lake if we had the chance.

Hey Squid
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-30-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Well if you have been to tulloch on the weekends in the summer it is really no longer an option. I figure I can at least work on all my switch and backside spins.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-30-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Ya that place is a zoo,
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
Where we ride, depth varies between 4.5' to 12'. When wakeboarding, the wake doesn't change much until we get below 5 or 6 feet and I have never seen the wake shrink to 1/2 its size. Now surfing, there is a much more noticeable change starting around 8 to 10'.

If the lake is 5 1/2 feet pretty much everywhere it would be worth it for wakeboarding but not surfing. If it is only 5 1/2 feet at the deepest part and only 3 or 4 feet in most places, then maybe not.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-30-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Hello, Allen MR. GO BIG OR GO HOME BROKEN. Hope the knee is doing good.