Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-01-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
I am going on vacation soon for a week of wake boarding and it got me thinking, what does wakeboarding mean to you? I mean wakeboarding can mean so many different things, hanging out with friends, partying, or just riding really hard.
For me wakeboarding is just about riding. I don't really try to meet people through wakeboarding (none of my friends really even wakeboard) I just want to go out and ride. I ride every weekend at six AM so I can ride without a bunch of other boats out.I am taking my vacation now because there will be no one else on the lake and I can ride with my girl friend without the crowds lake.
This is not a judging thread I just would like to know what wakeboarding really means to all of you? I kind of think I am in minority and wanted to see if that was true. BCP Mike
Old    swass            09-01-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
It means I suck.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-01-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
free to try your own style. learn on your own. hit double up after double trowing something new. landing a trick for the first time and the pain that comes with it. all of my dr appointments that help me get better to ride soon. thanks for motrin 800 mg. and a soma chaser for later. and all the T&A you can find.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-01-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
I agree with Swass....though it also means this.....

Upload
Upload
Old    K.B.C.            09-01-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
It means....an empty bank account
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-01-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
another thing to crowd my puny little brain, and something to challenge my own limitations of what I think I can't do.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-01-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
it's early and I don't think I'm making any sense.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-01-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
It means having fun hanging out with friends you make from all over, and having a good time!Upload
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-01-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
MY LIFE!!!!! With out wakeboardin I would be stressed out all the time!! Its my get away. When I ridin its just me and my board. If I ride like crap its on me. If i ride good, it makes my day! When im out, Wakeboarding is the only thing that matters. No drama, no bs. Its the greatest sport in the world!!!!!!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-01-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
It means going to the lake twice a week and not being able to ride.
Old     (dhr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-01-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
WORD BG WORD
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       09-01-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding to me is a rush. Flying threw the air, landing even the simple airs puts a smile on my face. It also means fun with family, friends, and a great way to get away from everyday work.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-01-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding has been a driving force in my life the last 9 years. It's been something I long to do. It's allowed me to make friends locally and abroad giving me the ability to travel and meet many people. Wakeboarding has been part of my development as a person and therefore who I am. To try and explain what it means to me, to anyone that's not half as addicted as I am often leads to an almost distance between myself and that individual but it's one of those things I just don't let bother me.

It's a pretty cool feeling to show up to a contest and have people you don't even know recognize you and say hello.
Old    mendo247            09-01-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
To me its about being on the boat with friends and meeting new people! Even if i dont ride its just about being in the boat and relaxing with cool people, on some of the most beautiful places on earth....
Old    jay_23            09-01-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
its getting away from work and having fun with my wife and friends. meeting new people is always cool too.........also getting your bell rung every couple of weeks is part of it, for me any ways.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-01-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding to me.......wow, where do I start?

Even though I've been waterskiing for 35+ years, I just started wakeboarding last July when I purchased my MC Maristar. I almost didn't want a boat with a tower! (what was I thinking?)

Since then, and mostly through wakeworld, I've met some of the best people and created some life-long friendships. (Thanks David Williams):-)

Just recently I shared an awesome weekend with some of these friends on a houseboat in western PA. One of the best times ever. (go to www.wakeboardnj.com to see pictures)

So, of course it's about riding. But more importantly sharing the sport with my family, making new friends, good times and great experiences!

The best is yet to come! :-)
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-01-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
I agree with everyone!! Getting up at 5 AM so make it to the lake when it opens to get the butter, hanging with your friends and/or your lady friend, landing that trick that you have been working on for a month (or only a few attempts), meeting new people, getting pissed off at the kooks that power turn; then getting more pissed when you go over and try to explain to them the correct way to drive, the tell you to stick it.

Wakeboarding has run my life for the last 6 years. I really don't know what I would be doing without it. I love every aspect of the sport, even the bad. A bad day on the water is WAY better than a good day at work.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-01-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
To me it's about having fun and trying new things. Without wakeboarding I would be stressed all the time with school and other stuff so wakeboarding is a release for me. If I didn't have wakeboarding I would be posting on Mental Instituio
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-01-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
the mental institutions website about the new straight jackets.
Old     (tarkus70)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-01-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
What bg said
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-01-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
Peace for the mind, rest for the soul, adrenaline for the heart, a deep exhale for the lungs after a LONG stressful week at the office,
SMILES, "YEAHS"!, AND AAAHHSS!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-01-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
"Oh Yeah" - and keeps your legs and back strong for the 40ft kickers you're gonna charge come winter!
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-01-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
My favorite part of wakeboarding is when you take that super soul cut way into the flats when it glass out and everything seems to just fade away amd nothing matters. Its just you and the water...

Danny T.
www.OKCBoardShop.com
www.WakeboardOklahoma.com
Old     (wakestar517)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-01-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
It mean getting to spend time with my friends and family.Meeting new ppl. and just being out on the water for me is the most relaxing place on earth. I have only been boarding for about two years and now starting to go more often, it also gives me a place that I can push myself more and more. I know that we all love the "butter" but when our crew goes out and it gets choppy they wont go any more but I do I just look at it as more of a challenge. I have a true love for the sport and would be lost without it.It has been a long road for me to get where I am with it cause I almost drown when I was about 10 and I would not go near the water for years and now it is like a second home to me still can't swim worth a crap but I have over come the fear and that is a great feeling as well
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
I look at it as a meeting place for all my friends. It is also the best way I have found to to relieve stress. I focus on my riding, Good or bad, and let the rest of the day go.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-01-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
To me it means spending time with good friends and meeting new ones. Oh ya and family too
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-02-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Its all about having a good time!!!!! From beginner to pro just have fun.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-02-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
It means I can't afford anything else besides equipment and gas money.

...and I have never looked back.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on September 02, 2006)