Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-19-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Looking for the best floatation device for my 19 month old daughter. Any input would be appreciated.

Hahn
Old    wakelvr            02-19-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Upload

Are you looking for something other than a lifevest? We got ours at Costco I believe. Don't know the brand but we also have an Oneil one from our local board shop and he didn't like that one for some reason. He is 2 in this picture.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-19-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
I was thinking this:
Upload
Old    wakelvr            02-19-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Oh my gosh, I must have one of those. In blue of course!

I didn't even realize that Hyperlite sold infant/toddler vests. Pink rocks, I want one for me now:-)
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-19-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
We have always done the Costco vests. With kids this age, it seems we are getting new vests every year. The first year, we got an expensive vest for our daughter, then we went to Costco later that year and that vest fit better and was 1/2 the cost.
Old     (krazywake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-19-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
I'd agree with the others on the Costco thing unless you can get hooked up. I couldn't tell you how many kid vests my dad still has in his garage from my brother and I growing up on Sammamish.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-19-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
We sell a ton of the pink. It is a good safe jacket. Just have to figure what you kid is worth if you go cheap
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-19-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
"Just have to figure what you kid is worth if you go cheap"

BURN!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-19-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
These days I rarely pay for gear. I've already contacted Hyperlite and they sent me that vest.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-19-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
"Just have to figure what you kid is worth if you go cheap"

A bit of a s}ales tactic to scare people into believing the HL ones are in some ways safer. Surely you have data to support this scare tactic? I will give the HL ones may be more stylish, but safer????

(Message edited by bmartin on February 19, 2008)
Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-19-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Steve,

I also use the Neo Hyperlite vest for my son. It seemed to be more comfortable for him. Just a little bit more flexible. It floated him pretty well.
Upload
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-19-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
My daughter liked the nylon ones better, I think they are a bit cooler (temp). Just what we did.
al
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-19-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
There is a problem with a regular vest if your child does not know how to swim good. Those vests will not keep them up right, they will still turn on to their faces. The correct vest for a child who does not know how to swim good would be the ones that have flotation on the chest only and have the pillow style cushion behind the head. Again the vest you choose should be determined on how good your child can swim. These are from my own personal experiences as I have a 3 month old and a 4 year old. The older one has worn a jacket style for two years but I won't put that one on the younger one until she is at least 2 years old and know how to keep herself upright in the water.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-19-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
That's a good point. I ordered one of each. One with a head cushion for an infant up to 35 pounds and a jacket style for 30-50 pounds for when she gets bigger and is a better swimmer.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-19-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
Here's the infant one:

Upload
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-19-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
If they swim with a neoprene jacket a rash guard is a must. And having a " swimming " life jacket and a " boat " life jacket is not a bad idea. Kids don't like to wear a cold wet vest in the boat. And like shoes they will grow out of them fast.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-19-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
We use the Oneill neoprene one with the belts for our toddler. We tried one with the zipper but if you notice all of the pictures here, they come to a point right under their chin and makes for an unhappy baby. I would put pics up but I'm having problems posting anything resized.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
I didnt say they where the only safe ones but that they are good. there are some unsafe ones for sale on the market. Usally you get what you pay for.
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-20-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   
My little brother use to have one of those big orange ones...floated him fine
Definately didn't win in the style category though lol
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       02-23-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
Go with the O'neill.
They have Infant, Child and Youth sizes. Each one for different weights. Both my girls have gone through the years with them.
Old     (littletna)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-25-2008, 10:03 PM Reply   
These seem to work well. Boys are 4 and female is 6.Pretty cute huh?Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-25-2008, 10:36 PM Reply   
I remember the days of the crappy foam vests that would get burnt out by the sun and tear up on me... And then choke me when I swam... They were always really easy to slide out of in the water though... Made for some interesting games of water tag... I went through a good six or seven vests before I turned 17, and now I'm in the home stretch on them...
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-26-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
acadmey has them pretty cheap to for the neopreme vests. my 3 yr old isnt allowed out of the vehicle at the lake without one on and we even put one on my 1 yr old even know she doest walk because if some was holding her and accidentaly fell of the peir it could be bad. cant ever be to safe with precious cargo...!!!!!11
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-26-2008, 10:35 PM Reply   
Funny thing is most kids I see are clearly in "HO" which = hyperlite http://www.hosports.com/

It's not about price its about the steez, uscg, and comfort for the kid. If they whine about it all day then where's the fun for them? We can take ours off when in the boat they have to keep em on the entire time (at least in my state and boat). Don't forget to slather the kiddos in sunblock too! I like the kids w/ sammies in glasses and hats. Haha I sound like McGruff the crime dog but how are they to know any better 30 years later the damages of the sun.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-26-2008, 11:14 PM Reply   
im not a parent or anything but if i was and i had a 19 month old id get a vest with the float behind the head, probably the safest for a child that age.
Old    petey20            02-27-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-27-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
Marcus....that picture is priceless!!!

Steve.....I think what you ordered is perfect...now and for when she gets bigger. Make sure she has a vest that will upright and float her head because she can't. Just stay within the weight guidelines.

(Message edited by rnopr8 on February 27, 2008)