Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-02-2015, 6:03 PM Reply   
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/armed-wi...-isis-in-iraq/

I saw a "frontline" show where it talked about 600 iSIS roaches took over a town of 600 Thousnd.
Yup the Iraq troop just Gave up and surrenderd all of their equipment. M-1 tanks and Troop carriers.
Watching ISIS rolling around town in US supplied equipment just pissed me off so much that I almost turned the show off.

Stupid question why don't we (the U.S.) install a kill switch/button In all equipment we leave behind.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-02-2015, 6:16 PM Reply   
Yes, lets keep proliferating our weapons in the middle east. This has worked out splendidly in the past!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-02-2015, 7:21 PM Reply   
We were so stupid to try to "change" the middle east. We should strike them and leave. And, do everything in our power to get them to focus on killing themselves vs killing us. That culture needs to hate on someone and they are very good at hating on each other.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-02-2015, 9:09 PM Reply   
^^^^^^that is a brilliant idea and adgenda^^^^^^^

I agree 100%

Dane for "secretary of state"
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-02-2015, 9:18 PM Reply   
But back to the Orignal topic. We (Americans) are so smart and are always showing off our military might. How much better we are (flying smart bombs down bad guys chiminy's) how come is all our wisdom we can't install a remote kill switch in all US donated military equipment. I mean come on if GM can remotely turn your car off via GPS "on-star" then why the hell can't we do the same to these Multi Million dollar military pieces of equipment. Better yet they show have a GPS doomsday mode where we can remotely detonate these tanks. "Yea shure ISIS take this tank back to your village" get a hundred or so people to ride all over it and when the time is right let us blow it to hell. Via GPS
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2015, 11:02 AM Reply   
Probably because if an enemy cracks the code they could disable/blow up the whole fleet. Chance is small but consequential cost is large
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-03-2015, 12:01 PM Reply   
Isn't that what the cylons did in the Battlestar Galactica update?
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-03-2015, 12:39 PM Reply   
G, You answered your own question ;-)

Question: "why don't we (the U.S.) install a kill switch/button"

Answer: "flying smart bombs down bad guys chiminy's"

Drones w/smart bombs ARE our kill switch.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-03-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
If your gun had a kill switch that would allow the cops to turn it off, the first thing you'd do would be to disable it. Same goes for any military buying the gear. Would be a fruitless exercise.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-03-2015, 1:28 PM Reply   
side note:
The idea of a kill switch on a hand gun is not too far fetched...

“smartguns might be hackable” or even “susceptible to government tracking or jamming,”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_gun

Your friendly, loveable DOJ would LOVE to have this implemented and mandated.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2015, 7:41 AM Reply   
Better yet we should have some sort of GPS tracking intergrated into all our equipment that we leave behind. Fact if your Allies with the US driving US made equipment and your getting it for free then that should be part of the deal. If we know where our equipment was via GPS it should not be very hard to send a guided Bomb to "end the lease"
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-04-2015, 8:15 AM Reply   
Old news. Bombs are expensive, and tanks and troop carriers are easy to find, you can't exactly hide them all that well. They don't have the training or the mechanical ability to keep these running for long. Not a big concern.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-04-2015, 8:46 AM Reply   
To hell with a kill switch, how about a tracking device.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
Better yet we should have some sort of GPS tracking intergrated into all our equipment that we leave behind. Fact if your Allies with the US driving US made equipment and your getting it for free then that should be part of the deal. If we know where our equipment was via GPS it should not be very hard to send a guided Bomb to "end the lease"
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-04-2015, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
So say you are iraq and you are buying or are being gifted military equipment. Why wouldn't you go through and snip the wire to the GPS puck within 3 minutes of taking delivery? That gps info has no benefit to you, the iraqi owner. Nobody expects their military hardware to get stolen.

I mean, if that's the issue, why don't we require them to use The Club on all the tanks?
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-04-2015, 9:26 AM Reply   
When it comes to the big $$ stuff much of what anyone gets from the U.S. is just an operating platform lacking the technological equipment to perform at its potential. Sure...it's still a tank/jet and can shoot things, but we could roll in and destroy everything they own from a safe distance. I've been working on F-15's for 24 years now. Even when we're fighting/training against similar foreign military sales aircraft we wipe the floor with them routinely. Not only do they lack the radar & weapons tech we have, they lack the training and tactics we work on day in and out.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-04-2015, 11:39 AM Reply   
Too bad the US cannot just stay out of it, but that's not going to happen.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2015, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker1234 View Post
Too bad the US cannot just stay out of it, but that's not going to happen.
It's too big of a money maker for the US economy. Think about all of the jobs and money that go into a war from commercial airline flights to get soldiers to bases to ammunition and food overseas. There are so many moving parts and so many people that make money off of a war.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2015, 1:50 PM Reply   
Brian: that's good to know About the computers and proprietary electronics. And Timmy I would think somthing like a tank with all its complex computers I would doubt you could just "snip a wire" I'm sure guidance is built into its operating system. I'm sure bigger brains then ours have ran this scenario. But tell me how awesome would it be if we had se sort of doomsday button that we could just self distruct that hyjackd tank when it got back to ISIS base camp.

Kind of like the Movie" Predator! When the preadator starts the self distruct sequence. It would be awesome if they were rolling down the road and it started "the countdown" and these idiot would be looking at each other like WTF!!!! Muhaaaaaaa !!!!

Alla ack Bar" or what ever thoes animals say