Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-16-2014, 7:16 PM Reply   
We are going to pick up our new boat this saturday. We had an older moomba before and we took care of it but the owners before us did not. So the vinyl was old and had some mildew that would not come from off and there were some scuffs and oxidation in a couple places. So I want to know what yall do to keep your boats looking brand new. What good habits, practices and products should I do and use
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-16-2014, 7:27 PM Reply   
303 cleaner and protectant after every trip. Wax hull four times a year. Watch the food and drink you bring on board. No jewelry or shoes on board. My .02.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-16-2014, 8:17 PM Reply   
cover the interior with towels when out on the water, definitely when moored.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-16-2014, 9:03 PM Reply   
No food with food coloring, like cheese it's, Cheetos, or gummies.

Wipe down often. Pay for good products, like boat bling, babes, 303.

Don't let moisture sit between cushions and in cracks.

No tanning sun sprays.

When a stain happens, don't go crazy trying to remove it. May cause more damage. Just clean, condition and see if sun removes it over a season.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-17-2014, 4:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies. Spray sunscreens are ok but no tanning sprays? One final question how do you control moisture and condensation un der the cover during summer. Especially after coming off the water and the boat has water in it from the day but you cant leave it un covered to dry out becuase of rain
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-17-2014, 4:35 AM Reply   
I live in California, what is this "rain" thing you speak of? I still remove all the cushions and pull out the carpet. I never cover wet.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-17-2014, 5:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Spray sunscreens are ok but no tanning sprays? One final question how do you control moisture and condensation un der the cover during summer. Especially after coming off the water and the boat has water in it from the day but you cant leave it un covered to dry out becuase of rain
I don't allow any sprays in my boat. Too easy for someone to walk to the platform or do it before you get on. Spray your cover with 303 (cover spray). My cover has vents in it to let it breathe and most new covers do also. I leave my boat open for a few hours......literally every hatch and seat to allow it to dry out before hand.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-17-2014, 5:23 AM Reply   
Don't let anyone use any Coppertone products, they do actually contain some kind of copper coloring and will leave yellow marks on your seats.

There are a lot of good cleaning products out there, I use Boat Bling, but the most important part is to do something to it every time it touches the water, inside and out. Even if it's just wipe down with a towel to clean things up. I'm a believer in the products, but don't think you have to have them for cleaning per say. I do think a protectant is essential for the vinyl. I use Condition Sauce from Boat Bling. But anything to help protect not only the vinyl panels but more importantly the stitching, from the sun. And don't forget a good coat of wax a couple of times a year, makes all this cleaning stuff a lot easier.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-17-2014, 6:13 PM Reply   
As others have said, put a quality coat of wax on the gelcoat and wipe down after you pull off the water. Use a quality interior cleaner to remove dirt, sunblock & oils from the vinyl. Storing the boat clean and dry will virtually eliminate mold issues.

As for sunblock, no sprays! We've seen several instances of certain sunblocks leaving yellow/green marks on interiors so either have your passengers sit on towels or be prepared to clean up immediately after use.

Happy to answer any questions in greater detail via email

Zack@boatbling.net
Old     (Blueliner)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-18-2014, 6:49 AM Reply   
I am new to boat ownership. But so far I keep mine stored in a storage unit (that my business rents...lots of room), its like a big garage. My boat is put away after a quick rinse with city water, and wipe down the seats its good to go. It is Out of the sun which can fade, No water scum line, no bird poo, no condensation. I also keep all the access hatches open to promote air circulation in the engine enclosure and bilge. If I have to sell or trade it may pay off then. My wife wanted to keep it moored downtown in a slip, but I think this is better. If I did not have the storage unit I would find a place where there is covered storage outdoors.

Blueliner
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-18-2014, 7:26 AM Reply   
I think making sure you wipe the boat down, thoroughly, between uses is a big step many just don't do. Buy a soft bristle brush to get the stitches and what not in areas that are prone for mildew (bottoms of seats). Absolutely take every seat out after your day, and wipe them all down and dry them out. We keep our boat in dry storage, completely away from the sun. We don't cover the boat, except for the winter, because of the issues associated with mildew.

Personally, I dont think actually buffing a boat multiple times a year is a great idea. You should hand wipe the boat with a spray wax at least once a week (should take 15 minutes if you are using the correct product). Buffing, while it will make the boat look great, it is taking a piece of the gelcoat everytime you buff it, and will wear out the finish prematurely. If limit by buffing to once a season, at the end, where I clean off any scratches or marks.

When filling up with gas, do your best not to spill gas out the filler. If you do, make sure it is thoroughly wiped clean. The gas will stain the gelcoat over time.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-18-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
Wipe-down and dry after each use is the most important for us (inside and out). Waxed gel will be 10-times easier to wipe down each time than unwaxed. Any of the different company's (Meguars, Boat Bling, Babes, etc) after use sprays will do a good job with removing spots during wipe-down. I'm a cheap bastard though, so I just make up my own which is a combo of vinegar, windex, and water and works every bit as well as the commercial ones - just doesn't smell as fruity....

Keep cushions off seats until the cushions and the compartments they cover are completely dry. If you have a humid garage like mine, throw a fan in the boat to help air the carpet and get some circulation.

I like 303 for vinyl the best, but don't use it every outing, more like every 2 weeks or so.

I don't get too anal about what food/drinks gets brought out, so long as any spills get wiped immediately. We've got small kids, so the spills are going to happen. Like others though, the spray-on sunscreen gets used on shore or not at all.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-23-2014, 12:37 PM Reply   
I spray 50/50 vinegar/water on gel and glass once we get back to the house. always wipe down interior after a day on the water.

Do you guys worry about water getting under your sacks in vdrive lockers? I started leaving the compartments open and throwing the sack over the transom. I forgot last time and everything still somehow dried out underneath?
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-23-2014, 1:33 PM Reply   
+1 for all the above!

Designate somewhere to put trash! I use my boats built in cooler for trash. That last little bit in a can or bottle of a drink can get everywhere, be vigilant. Keep some plastic bag in the glove box too.

I put a piece of jet ski padding on top edge of the rail to step in and out of at the dock, though most new boats have a pad already.

Some cheaper quality black boat covers if in the sun can leech dyes onto the interrior. I put a towel and a buoy to prop the cover up from the sun deck in back. This is something that will creep up in 3/4 years and the interior will start to tint a purplish color.

Have a plastic box in the truck of towels and cleaning products to take on every trip, don't wait to get home to do the wipe down!!!!

Cheers,
DC
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-23-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
We use Eagle One Wax as you Dry from Napa on all the gel every time she comes out of the water and our 99 looks better than the majority of boats coming out of the launch with lots of people asking what we're doing and they're not. Make sure and get all the way underneath as far as you can reach. We got a case of it at NAPA auto over 2 yrs ago and still have plenty.

On the interior, it gets a good wipe down every time, opened up to dry when we get home, and left that way until we're getting ready to go back out. We also put a fan blowing inside to aide in the drying. We don't do a lot to condition the seats, but I assume we should be more adament about the 303 - that stuff is the bomb.

Last edited by dirwoody; 07-23-2014 at 1:58 PM. Reason: awesome spelling....
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-23-2014, 3:07 PM Reply   
No red juice. it's the devil... + full wipe down with quality products like those listed above. Always fully dry before covering when possible and keep the cushions apart from each other to avoid the slime lines.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-23-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
Never leave your seats down once you're off of the water, always leave your hatches and seats open to dry out as well as wipe everything out from between the seats.