Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (voler)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-14-2012, 10:45 PM Reply   
hi,

how do you guys keep the board under the water?
i've been trying that but the board keeps floating back up.
any tips so that i can learn to keep my board under the water?
i know its like a squatting thing. but i cant do it.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-15-2012, 4:32 AM Reply   
Practice then more practice to get used to it. Have the boat tighten up the rope and as it tightens push the board underneath you.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-15-2012, 4:38 AM Reply   
Line tension really helps getting the board under you and keeping it there. As LR3w8kbrdr said after that practice,practice,practice!
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-15-2012, 6:45 AM Reply   
I sit squatted with my board in front of me and lean my chest over the board. It is easier to balance that way, standing straight up will cause the board to.come out the back.end and you can't save it there.
Old     (voler)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-15-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Ive tried sit squatting. But cant get it right. Im able to use the line tension but i can only hold it for a while. Seems like ive got to practice all day!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-15-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
I think you're over thinking it. Just get out on a wakeboard or wakeskate and practice. You should be able to have that board directly underneath you, talkin to people in the boat etc and not have any issues.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-15-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
basically the board should be doing nothing underneath you. Really you are floating via your vest and your knees can come up and stay loose. It's not like you are actually "standing" underwater.
Old     (Wake08)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-15-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
This is a bit of a backwards way to get the feel, and definitely only works for a few people, but have the driver cut power when you are riding. When that happens get the board into a slide and drop down as the boat idles while focusing on keeping your balance while the board is under the water, then have the driver pull you back up. It helped me getting the feel for where to hold the board as well as how the board slides/slices up nice and easy.
Old     (voler)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-17-2012, 10:24 PM Reply   
Thanks guy. Im gonna try it again tomorrow. And is it true that you use lesser energy this way?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-18-2012, 4:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by voler View Post
Thanks guy. Im gonna try it again tomorrow. And is it true that you use lesser energy this way?

As far as using more or less energy I think it depends on if you wear a nice CGA or a comp vest that will hardly float the top of your head!
If wearing a CGA I know after a long set and a fall it sure is nice just to kinda lay sprawled out in the water waiting for the boat to come back, sometimes I think I could take a nap like this! I also think you use more energy just getting the board under you depending on how floaty your board and bindings are.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-18-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by voler View Post

I don't know about comp vests since I've never worn one, but I can say for sure with a CGA vest that there's no way possible that putting your board under water could take less energy than letting it float to the surface. Laying on your back in the water requires zero energy.

My boards take a lot of force to keep them underwater. If I don't have any line tension or anything else to pull or push against it takes a lot of effort to balance over them. Also, a lot of drivers I ride with will cut the throttle as the rope tightens up to make sure the rider is ready. If that happens, then I lose the tension in the rope and all my effort up to that point has been wasted unless I want to expend a ton more effort trying to balance with nothing to hold on to and still be prepared to handle the shock of the rope going taught and trying to pull me over forward since I'm in a neutrally balance position rather than leaning back.... Basically unless I ride out my fall with my board already under me and get ahold of the rope fairly quickly and know for sure that the driver is going to idle all the way through without stopping, then it takes a ton of energy that I could better use wakeboarding.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-18-2012, 10:14 AM Reply   
I think theyre referring to getting up takes less effort. Maybe i have found a skill that Im super at...keeping my board underneath me for long periods of time. From the time the rope starts gliding through my hands I kick the board under me and keep it there and the driver should be ready to go once that line becomes tight.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-18-2012, 10:43 PM Reply   
Watch this. Specifically the little animated instructional part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9qWJu0Vrpw

Tell your driver to watch this too.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-19-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
I knew i had this clip somewhere just couldnt figure out how to post it lol
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-27-2013, 10:07 PM Reply   
When you strap into the board on the swim platform, start sliding off into the water and practice keeping the board underneath you as you sink. It helps to be facing the boat and holding the rope, but eventually you should be able to do it without the rope, facing to or away from the boat.