Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old    danno            02-03-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
I'm gathering the parts and fittings to (semi)automate the task of filling and draining my fat sacks and I'm trying to decide how to plumb the intake.

I have seen on another thread, someone threaded an elbow into the center drain plug in the bottom of the hull. The second option is to install a manifold on the engine's raw water intake and share water from there. And third, bite the bullet and cut a hole (*gasp*) in the hull and install a new thru-hull fitting.

I can use the drain hole in the middle of the boat, but since my driveway is level, that's the one that is most important to keeping my boat stored dry. When I leave the lake.

I could share the engine's intake, but I want to maximize flow to the ballast pumps and I don't want to risk starving the engine's cooling system. There already is a scoop strainer on the intake so the flow should be more than adequate when the boat is moving.

The last option, a new thru-hull with it's own scoop, would be the most efficient, but the most involved, and once you start drilling, there's no turning back.

So what were your solutions? And if you drilled new holes, where did you put them and what hardware did you use?

One last option, which is what I will probably do for now, is to coil up extra hoses, with weighted ends, and just hang them over the side while I'm filling the tanks.
Old    jmccallum            02-03-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
I sweated buckets over drilling a hole in my boat. When I did it is was very easy and took about 15 minutes with a 10 year old helping. I left it over night and the next day to dry (silicone sealant). I has never leaked a drop!

If I did it again, I'd still put a hole in my boat!
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-03-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
i t'd my water intake and it was so easy. I used a heat gun on the rubber hose and it came right off. too easy.
Old    oldschool            02-03-2003, 2:15 PM Reply   
Dan, check out the "Ballast Experts, Please Help" discussion. I have a diagram of mine in there. This weekend my ballast filled in under 4 minutes...that's two tanks with a scoop thru hull with a 2000 Rule pump. I think the scoop was really just pushing water right past the pump, but oh well, it's fast!
Old    sickboy            02-03-2003, 3:29 PM Reply   
Hey Ty, have you noticed any problems with starving the engine? Also, where did you T off of, before the engine water pump, or after? And how much weight are you filling using that method? I'm trying to decide if I want to use one of my two plugs, or just do what you did.

Thanks,
mb
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-03-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
i fill about 700 pounds and I fill it when we are either moving or with the engine off so no worries. I don't think it would starve it anyway though. I drain it while we are at an idle or again with the engine off. too easy
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       02-03-2003, 4:03 PM Reply   
Hey Ty, what kind of pump are you using and how is it set up? I have a mayflower 1200 gph that only works while sitting still. I'm feeding off my engine intake too. Thanks.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-04-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
simer 600 gph reversible