Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
I'm ready to choose which one and I need help. Most of you know that some of the guys on MBO are doing a "Group Buy" on the Accuski models and have garnered some pretty good pricing for the deal which can't be discussed for obvious reasons. I've also negotiated a pretty good deal on a PP Wakeboard Pro with my dealer which I won't discuss to keep things fair.

My question is........how much more (if any at all) would you pay to get a PP Wakeboard Pro over the Accuski Wakeboard Elite and why?

Consider that everything necessary to add either of these sytems to my LSV is included, the PP will come with the combo guage and the Accuski will have their version of their 5" gauge, the PP will operate off of paddlewheel input or RPM input, Accuski will only run off paddlewheel input.

Other than that difference, the model's features look to be pretty comparable to a novice like me. The only other difference is the reputation of the two companys. Which do y'all think I should buy?
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2003, 12:59 PM Reply   
Well.........

That sure helped me make my decision

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
I don't know a thing about Accuski, but, I can tell you that you *can not* go wrong with PP. Randy & Crew are provide top-notch customer service and the product is outstanding.

B-
Old    danno            02-03-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
Since PP is being installed as an OEM option on many boats, I think there might be greater brand recognition and would add more to boat's resale value. In other words, average boat buyer is more likely to have at least heard of PerfectPass regardless of whether or not they know what it's for.
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
Dealer did his best to downtalk Accuski....said he had performance problems with just about every one that came in on or they installed on a Malibu. Those were all the pitot tube or rpm based models though, he didn't even know they now offer a paddlewheel based speed control unit. He was very pleased that Malibu now uses Perfect pass exclusively on all the new Malibus, says his trouble calls have disappeared since that happened.

Some have compared Accuski to Macs and Perfect Pass to PCs.......Accuski being more user friendly but with less market share and PPs being more involved to use but with a huge brand name loyalty and recognition.

Old    gotpwr            02-03-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
I have PP Digital Pro on my Air Nautique from the factory. After reading all the discussion on this board and the MBO site I was ready to yank out my PP and install the new Accuski system. I really like the more user friendly display and additional features such as the ability to save multiple rider's settings and the "pullup" feature. I think the "pullup" feature would be a huge plus for slalom skiing. Also, the fact that Accuski is in the US versus PP being in Canada should mean an improvement in customer service when things go wrong. When the ON/OFF button on my PP control module went bad last summer it was a pain trying to ship it overnight to Canada so I could get it repaired before my vacation was over. If it was my choice, I would go with the Accuski.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2003, 4:42 PM Reply   
LSV,

PP WB PRO, for wakeboarding, is so absolutely simple to use. Turn it on, optionally adjust your speed target, drive to speed close to the target, hear a tone, let go of the throttle.

My only problem with PP has been with the new dual BU gauge. The buttons and display have been flaky. I am on my third gauge. It is a dumb gauge to satisfy BU. IMO, the big gauges in malibu are dumb in general (big honkers that make the dash taller).
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2003, 4:58 PM Reply   
Lance-

You obviously know how I feel, but I wouldn't be willing to pay more at all for Digital Pro.

Yes, it's true there were some problems with Accuski (your dealer is likely basing his opinion on past experience), but ever since Borg Warner has been manufacturing them, and they've been using the paddle wheel, there are absolutley no concessions when using Accuski. If you decide you've got to have Perfect Pass, let me know, I'm selling my Ditigal Pro to put in ETC, and I'll make you a great deal.

Accuski ETC is even easier to use. Just start the boat, hit the button for your present and push the throttle forward. The boat pulls you up the same way everytime and locks on to your set speed.
Old    6more            02-04-2003, 6:44 AM Reply   
Lance - I guess it depends on how much you ski. If you are strictly wakeboard only - then safe the $ and go with Accuski Elite. You'll be more than happy with it. If you are going to ski - even a little, then I would go with either the PP Pro or Accuski ETC.

I know the Accuski systems are easier to use than PP (I know it is hard to believe, but I have an Accuski and have first hand experience with both)and I suspect you could get a much better deal with the group purchase too. I haven't had any problems with my Accuski once I finished installing it and had it calibrated. I also agree with Jason that most people are ignorant to the way Accuski works today! Without the paddle wheel it did suck for wakeboarding - there isn't any argument there. But now it is every bit as good as PP - and most people who have used both will agree that the Accuski has a much better user interface.

You won't be disappointed with either system. But I think the AS unit is easier to use, gives the same results as PP (for the rider), and could very well be less expensive too. Given that - it would be a no-brainer for me to decide which system to get - Accuski.
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-04-2003, 8:17 AM Reply   
Jason, do you know how long Borg Warner has been making the modules for Accuski? I agree with your thoughts on my dealer's concern for the quality of Accuski but at the same time, I don't know that I want to be a guniea pig for a new product either.

I've heard comments like Dane's regarding the PP's new combo gauge before and that is a concern of mine as well.

Brian, it does sound like Accuski is more user friendly which would help in my situation. My Boat pulls wakeboarders probably 90% of the time and the rest of the time is just pleasure riding so I think either the PP Wakeboard Pro or Accuski Elite is the right one for me.

Keep the comments coming......I'm probably more confused than than I was before.
Old    sprucie            02-04-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
If you go w/Accuski ensure you get the paddle wheel. I think that has been established. I like the Mac vs. PC analogy. I think you get less frills on PP but it is bullet proof. So take your pick either way you'll be happy.

BTW I had Accuski (non paddle wheel) removed and had PP WB Pro installed and have been happy ever since. The pullup feature on Accuski would be neat. Perhaps they can come up with GPS based Auto Steer to drive a straight line down the lake with an option for either a button hook turn for slalom skiers or double-up turn for wake boarders.

Maybe off topic but, my big request is auto volume based on engine RPM, anyone find a solution yet?
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
Talk to Guy at accuski guy@accuski.com
If service is a factor... go with accuski
Guy is straight up and returns emails and phone calls like no other.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-04-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
what Sandy said
Old    waterjunky            02-04-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
Interesting what you have said about Guy at Accuski... I was interested in ACCUSKI as well, but had some questions regaurding the ETC. I couldn't get a hold of Guy, and he never did return my calls. I finally spoke to the East Coast rep and he was able to help in a very timely manner. Just an FYI...

Also, anyone with a GT-40 engine cannot use the ETC with the paddle wheel. That is a HUGE downside of Accuski. You can "Jerry rig" it to use the pito tube sensors, but the speed control is not as good (at least according to the East Coast Rep at Accuski).
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-04-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
Guy answered a question I had the morning after I sent him an email. No problems there. I guess I should ask him the Borg Warner question though.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-04-2003, 4:03 PM Reply   
Oops, sorry I missed your question Lance.

I'm pretty sure the Borg Warner partnership deal was started late in 2000, or early in 2001. I'm not 100% sure though, so if it's important contact Guy for the answer.
Old    never2old            02-06-2003, 5:06 PM Reply   
I just fitted my Powerstar 200 w/ 200 Hp Merc outboard with a PP Digital Pro. Randy and the tech's at Perfectpass were great to work with. Kind of surprised with some of the comments above. I do run the system on the Wakeboard Pro setting only and I think it's as simple as can be.
I'd highly recommend the Perfectpass system, just due to the response I recieved from the support group. One other consideration is that as you pass 23 mph, the perfectpass system goes to the rpm control mode for a smoother and consistent ride. Not sure how the other sytem works.
Good luck on the decision.
Old    6more            02-07-2003, 6:32 AM Reply   
I don't think anyone is bad mouthing PP. It's just that the AS user interface is much easier to use. I don't think you can appreciate the difference in how much easier AS is to use until you try it. It's not that PP is "hard" to use, it just takes many more screens and key strokes to do the same thing AS can do on one screen. There are also less variables that you have to worry about with AS (and AS pull doesn't suffer either, in fact most people prefer the feel of the AS pull over PP - at least when skiing).
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 6:58 AM Reply   
Well........the only "bad" comments that I've heard about Accuski refer to the older versions before Borg Warner and the Paddle wheel and everyone seems to have only good things to say about PP except the few that say it is a little more involved as far as "user friendlyness".

Other than those items, they seem to be pretty much apples to apples.

Since Mrs LSV still has trouble getting our remote control to run our TV, Stereo and PVR, (hope she doesn't see this ) I'm leaning towards the Accuski. The fact that is costs less is just gravy.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Trust me....if I have any trouble with the Accuski......you all be the first to hear it!!!!
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-07-2003, 7:25 AM Reply   
I find it easier to drive with a non digital tach. You can see and adjust faster than with the digital one.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
Phaeton....I plan on replacing the Stock Malibu Speedo with the Accuski gauge therefore keeping the stock tach, but I'm curious....If you are using the "speed control" to hold speed while pulling a rider, why would you prefer one type of tach over the other?

If it is for while not pulling a rider.....I generally use the speedo to watch my speed when just cruising.

I guess you could be referring to pulling a rider without having the "speed control" turned on....my question then would be, why not have it turned on?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-07-2003, 7:52 AM Reply   
LSV I have driven a friends Wakesetter with that guage. He does not like the cruise control effect while hydrofoiling. So I was left to use the digital tach. With a regular guage you can see the needle moving up on your desired setting and compensate for it. With digital it is just harder to compensate, so you chase the desired setting a bit more.

Not sure if any of this applies to you but just wanted to bring it to the table.
Good luck.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 8:08 AM Reply   
I'm more curious as to why he didn't like the speed control while hydrofoiling? Was it an older model without paddlewheel input?

The other doesn't really apply since I'll be leaving the stock tach, but it is possibly reinforcement of my decision to replace the speedo instead of the tach.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-07-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
He foils at 30MPH and the cruise would not work properly at those speeds for him.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
Aaaaahhhhhh I see!!! Foils at 30????? Dang!!!!!
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
This is a good discussion, it brings up a lot of interesting points.

For foiling, you should be using rpm based control, not speed based. That will give you a much smoother pull at elevated speeds.

Also, something that may reinforce your dicision to go with Accuski is a new gauge that will be available sometime this spring for the Elite model. It will be a combo gauge similar to the one offered by Perfect Pass, but will look much better as it will be built by the same company that makes the stock gauges. It will be very similar to the gauge shown below (it will look sweet for '03 owners that already have the new gauge).
03dash
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-07-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
The BU dash is SO ugly.

Why do we need a 5" speedo or a 5" tach?

The only place the big gauge makes sense is the 4 in 1 gauge. But, is this benefit worth the taller dash? Not in my view.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
Interesting, I like the new dash, and the 5" gauges are MUCH easier to drive with because the needle moves just a little slower.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the new CC dash?
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
Jason,

That combo gauge is NICE! Where are the control buttons going to be though?

As I've said before, my Bu has the wood grain dash and gold rimmed gauges and adding that older accuski gauge is really going to take away from the looks of my dash. That new combo gauge would be mucho nicer!!!!
Wonder if we can do the buy when everyone is ready, have accuski leave the normal gauge out, then ship the new combo gauge when it's available?
Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
I have the AS on my Toyota. It will not hold 22 mph on speed based mode. It will only work on rpm mode at those speeds. This is with the venturi pick up. If you get AS for boarding you must get the paddle wheel.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-07-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
I have the Perfect Pass Digital Pro on my Air Nautique, and I love it. I have tried all the modes, but have basically settled on just one. Here are my observations:

For wakeboard, you MUST have the paddle wheel speed control. RPM control will never maintain a good low speed control as boat speed vs RPM just is not a constant when the boat is fighting to stay on plane.

For skiing, the RPM control was better. At least on my boat, the paddle wheel control gets a little flakey at the higher speeds, especially if the boat porposies a little or when you hit boat wakes.

If you do a lot of both types (skiing and wakeboarding) get a control that will do both. The user interface on the Perfect Pass is not as good as it could be, and switching between modes is a bit harder than it has to be. I have not used the Accuski to comment on the difference.

For my use, it is only the wakeboard mode that gets used. When I pull a skier I just do it the old fashion way. The Perfect Pass in alway in the wakeboard mode, and it is a single button push to activate, and maybe UP or DOWN arrow to adjust speed. I am not sure how much easier this could be.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
A mock up version of the new gauge (just my idea).
accuskidash