Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-19-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
A friend of mine owns a 50 acre lake in the Houston area and is looking into turning it into a private boat lake. I know this is popular in other parts of the county. How much are you paying in fees, how many members, what are the rules/ stipulations? What would you change if you could?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-19-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
I'll try and find out some info for ya. Have a few friends who belong to clubs.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
$2600 a year. Limited to 20 members on 2 lakes. There is one more lake not finished. One boat at a time, 15 minute sets if there are other boats on the lake. The lake is covered under USA Waterski insurance so you have to be a member to ride. Minimum 500k liability on your boat. I would make it longer if I could!! Its about 2400' long. You get 4-6 tricks in, but you cant beat getting to the lake at noon on Labor Day and riding 3 buttery sets!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-19-2012, 3:01 PM Reply   
What state is tht in??
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
We pay $1,260 a year and there are 300 members for a lake that is roughly 1,800 surface acres. The state boating rules apply and you are required to have $300k liability insurance.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-19-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
Texas, Here is the address

4820 meadowglen dr pearland tx
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2012, 3:35 PM Reply   
I live on Lake Houston.

If that water is fresh (which I'm guessing it is), and you can reasonably control the water level (it won't get too shallow), then that could make a sweet set up!

Will there be a dock, covered with lifts?

It is going to depend on the number of members you allow on the lake, and whether or not it is going to be a club (ie, club boat), or it is going to be a "bring your own boat" type thing.

For 50 acres, I'd suggest no more than 10-20 members @ somewhere between $2k and $3k per member per year.

There are usually restrictions on boat length, and length of rotations (if more than one person is trying to use the lake at the same time).

Somewhere between $300k and $1m in liability coverage required.

Last edited by okwakebdr; 06-19-2012 at 3:39 PM.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2012, 3:55 PM Reply   
I have seen and heard about private lakes around the country but I never thought it would work in Texas because there are just so many lakes! In most areas of Texas (even Houston), there are 2 or 3 lakes or rivers to ride on within an hour's drive. Why would people pay to be on a private lake when you can go to a free one?

Just bringing up a point/question, not trying to bash you or anything. I would just like to know.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-19-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
^^^bc people want perfect water conditions. Especially skiers. I know people who drive 1-2 hrs to their club lake, they keep their boats there and sometimes wait 2 hrs btwn sets to have perfect conditions.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-20-2012, 5:45 AM Reply   
I think he wants to do it just to pay for access not a club boat. I assume just a gravel driveway and boat ramp and small dock.

Drnate: There are some good riding spots within 45 minutes of us here but it is salt or brackish water a lot of boat owners don't want to put the boats in salt water. Good question though.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-20-2012, 6:04 AM Reply   
Here is a screen shot of the lake. Looks pretty sweet.
Attached Images

Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-20-2012, 6:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnate View Post
I have seen and heard about private lakes around the country but I never thought it would work in Texas because there are just so many lakes! In most areas of Texas (even Houston), there are 2 or 3 lakes or rivers to ride on within an hour's drive.
LOL.... Here in Minnesota we have about 50 different lakes to ride on within 10 minutes, from almost anywhere in the state.
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       06-20-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
Here in Iowa like half the lakes here are either no wake lakes or private lakes and they are all really tiny!!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-20-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkoch View Post
LOL.... Here in Minnesota we have about 50 different lakes to ride on within 10 minutes, from almost anywhere in the state.
Sure...you can enjoy them yr round if you icefish as well
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-20-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
That lake looks pretty small. I don't think you could get more than 4 hits in after you turn around, and even for a slalom course it looks like it wouldn't work. A 50 acre lake could be a dream lake but it would have to be 1/3 wide as that and 3 times longer. For me a half mile is about the shortest you can go for wake boarding and you need almost 2000 feet for a slalom course. If you could put some rails on that lake and pull with a jet ski you might get some interest.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       06-20-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
According to google earth there are a number of private lakes in the area that i have measured using the ruler tool and all the private lake are around 2,000ft from shore to shore. This body of water measured 2,000ft also. So it looks like it could work and i know right where that body of water is. I know someone who lives in those apartments on the nort side.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       06-20-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
Jason how deep is this lake? Has your friend ever ridden on it?
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-20-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
please say at least 15ft, which i doubt. i too know where this is.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-20-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
We wakeboard on a ski lake thats 1/2mile long and easy enough to turn around each end. (similar size to one of The Projects lakes in orlando) We dont ride anything bigger than a 210 due to erosion & only so much wake to creat when its 8-9' deep.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-20-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
That lake is big enough for wake or slalom.. its about the same length as OWC boat lake so you could probably get 4-6 tricks in each pass.

It's definitely only big enough for one boat at a time. The runs are too short having 2 boats would just be riding in the other boats chop the entire time.

With the right structure it could work. Same as what some others said, 20ish members would be about the most it could handle without getting too much scheduling conflicts. The majority of people are still going to be after 5/weekends typically
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-20-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
That lake is big enough, but not ideal. Max 20 memebrs $1800 a year. There a bunch of private lakes in Texas by the way.Mainly for skiing though. Texas, Cali and Florida have the most private sites in the country.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-20-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
The owner said it is 20' deep it use to be a sand pit. The length is approx the same size as HWC and I think you can get in 5 tricks per pass if you don't screw around. Travis we can probably go ride in it right now but we have to launch my boat or his with a tractor.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-20-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
Wow! 20' is nice. Id say go for it
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-20-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
man thats ahhhsome. can i come surf in it? i like to wakeboard too. travis i havent forgotten about ya.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       06-20-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
Jason do you have a depth finder on your boat? Id like to go out and ride this lake if it is possible. 20ft is good depth.

John-Not a problem man
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-20-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
Travis, Yes I do. BTW I also have about 70% of my internal ballast system and probably operational enough by this weekend if you want to ride Sunday.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-23-2012, 4:19 PM Reply   
Friend pays $500 a yr, 30 members, on 2 private lakes, has 7 boat lifts and everyone stores there own boat on property. We can ski/wakeboard here yr round
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-24-2012, 6:33 PM Reply   
With that development/cult surrounding the lake I'd be concerned about the noise complaints you'll be sure to get. Could become a legal nightmare if you're trying to run this as a business and have loud boats out at sunrise on weekends or until sunset on weeknights.... all the time.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-24-2012, 9:04 PM Reply   
If I had something like that, I would keep it to just friends and family. Isn't that a dream of all boat owners, their own private lake!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-24-2012, 9:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnate View Post
I have seen and heard about private lakes around the country but I never thought it would work in Texas because there are just so many lakes! In most areas of Texas (even Houston), there are 2 or 3 lakes or rivers to ride on within an hour's drive. Why would people pay to be on a private lake when you can go to a free one?

Just bringing up a point/question, not trying to bash you or anything. I would just like to know.
I totally wish I had a private lake, I enjoy being out at my local lakes, the scenery is great, nice being out there at sunset, that kinda stuff...but on days when I just want to ride, which is most of them, I would totally take a private lake. It means NO yahoos to deal with at the ramps, on the water, driving too close while in tow, no jet skis swarming around....the list goes on....