Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-29-2012, 7:09 AM Reply   
Hey guys,
I have been thinkin about changing the look of my boat. It looks pretty clean now, but i have been itchin to change it up some. I have a 2000 Supra Launch with original graphics i was thinking about taking off all decals and running just base, or leaving pin stripes on the bottom, or ordering the raised chrome decals from supra where the launch is now... i cant make my mind up and needs some professional assistance!
Attached Images

Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-29-2012, 7:23 AM Reply   
If it were my boat....I'd take off the "launch" and the pinstripe with the "wave" thing on the back... and just get a raised supra logo where the launch is now... but that's just my opinion
Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-29-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
i just wonder how bad the ghost of the launch graphics will look. how hard/ long will it take for that to look normal?
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
I would take off the logo and the pinstripe and leave it at that, but that is just my opinion. It is a good looking boat and I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you decide.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-29-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Take off the Supra graphic, buff out the whole boat really well and then install the new style raised Supra graphic but put it back on the rear 1/4 of the boat.
Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-29-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
wish i was a pro at photo shop and could see what it would look like!! haha
Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-29-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
how should i go about getting graphics off and do you think the ghosting will be significant on this project?
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-29-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
heat gun or blow dryer and take your time. Don't use a razor blade or metal putty knife.
when removed wipe the area with goo gone, goof off, sticker remover.
buff the area with a mild rubbing compound / cleaner, then wax or polish. I would run the boat for awhile without the raised Supra graphic in case you have to buff again.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-29-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmilez321 View Post
how should i go about getting graphics off and do you think the ghosting will be significant on this project?
No one can answer that. It will be based on how much sun exposure, what type of water the boat has been in, how frequently its been waxed and the quality of vinyle that was used.

I took the graphics off my 02' mobius and had very little ghosting and this was on bright blue gelcoat..

Here is my after pic.
Attached Images

Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
definitely remove all the vinyl decals and get the raised chrome lettering. That's exactly what I did on my Tige and it came out looking great. Some 3M restorer and elbow grease will take care of the ghosting.
Attached Images

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-30-2012, 5:30 PM Reply   
To get rid of the vinyl residue use Mötsenböcker’s http://www.liftoffinc.com/product-tape-remover.php.

They sell it at Home Depot or get it from Amazon. This stuff is amazing and will not mess up any finish. I have used it on fresh Lacquer and it only took off the adhesive. Saturate the adhesive and let it sit for a few minutes. Wipe off the dissolved gunk and repeat. It is slower than Goof-Off, but much, much safer.

Back to your original question, I would get rid of the Launch, and live with it for a few days. You can always take off more, but it would suck to put on the new stuff and find out you like the cleaner look.