Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2014, 12:52 PM Reply   
Are there any good wake/ski combo boats out there?

Or, are they jack-of-all-trades and master of none?

I was looking at CC website:

http://www.nautique.com/models/sport-nautique-200/

The Sport Nautique 200 looks like a nice boat.
Attached Images

Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-16-2014, 12:58 PM Reply   
I think there are far more desirable boats out there. VTX and x14v come to mind immediately. Never been a fan of the 200's. What % are you spending skiing vs boarding etc. Crew size? Level of skiing?
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-16-2014, 1:05 PM Reply   
You'll always be looking at a "jack of all trades master of none" scenario.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2014, 1:06 PM Reply   
The boat will be used from a dock on a private lake so crew size will be small since people can be picked up and dropped off at the dock.

Storage demands will be small too.

I am a beginning skier that wants to get better. Some of my friends are very good skiers.

A nimble and comfy (low vibration; low noise) boat is desired. My MB is not that.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-16-2014, 1:16 PM Reply   
I had a 2008 Falcon,

It skied and boarded well (with nose weight) and it surfed like a hot damb when weighted properly. Some days i wish I never went bigger because I miss the occasional ski
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-16-2014, 2:47 PM Reply   
Yes, the Sport 200 will do what you need it to, if you're looking new. The others would be older MC 205's and 205V's. Really any 21ft direct or v drive. The skiers won't necessarily appreciate the Sport 200, but they'll still go with it. Any other wake boat and they'll likely pass up on it.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-16-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
I've seen people in your situation (given the dock space/storage capability) just go with 2 boats. Get a V for your surfing/boarding, and an old slalom tractor (CC 196, MC 190/197 or a host of others that can be had pretty cheaply). So long as you're not averse to used boats, you could easily come out ahead money wise compared to a new 200V.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2014, 6:20 PM Reply   
I absolutely do not want to insure, maintain, clean and cover/uncover two boats. And, build/maintain 2 docks with 2 lifts and 2 covers.

I don't completely understand why a boat can't be good at both. My friends prostar 190 made a sweet wakeboard wake years back. Or, for example, the old CC 2001 boat makes a sweet wakeboard wake. Yet, I would also bet that they were pretty fair ski boats too.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-16-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
GD,

I'm an avid skiier, boarder, and footer (i'm a miserable surfer), and I'm with you that it's nice, in theory to have a single do everything boat. I ski, wakeboard, and foot behind my Centurion Elite V. While I can do all just fine behind it, I'll take a pull skiing any day of the week behind my friends' direct drive MC 205's, 190's, and 197's, and I love getting behind a boat with a massive wakeboard wake to board (Ironically, the MB 21wb is my favorite wake that i've experienced). For the most part, when we ski, we take one of the direct drives, and when we board, we take one of the vdrives.

A guy that I used to ski with had a Nautique SV211, which was Nautique's first shot at a crossover. Great boat, but the ski wake just couldn't touch the ski specific direct drives. This particularly became an issue once you started taking length off the line. At one off, the bump you'd get from the wake became significant, and there were spray issues.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-16-2014, 9:58 PM Reply   
I was just throwing it out there as an option that I've seen a couple people take. Crossover-wise, I'd say one of the better V drives was the Sanger V210 (drives and handles more like a DD than any of the other V's I've been in) and is plenty capable in the ski/wake/surf department. It just won't be the same fit/finish as a big 3 boat. The MC X14 and X14V are also plenty capable, but I don't personally care for the ski wake on either.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-17-2014, 3:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
I don't completely understand why a boat can't be good at both. My friends prostar 190 made a sweet wakeboard wake years back. Or, for example, the old CC 2001 boat makes a sweet wakeboard wake. Yet, I would also bet that they were pretty fair ski boats too.
No offense but if you thought the 190 wakeboard wake was a good wake you can pretty much buy anything. That wake is mediocre at best imho. It seems like you are more focused on skiing than wakeboarding.
Old     (ecore)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-17-2014, 7:17 AM Reply   
I kinda agree with what someone else said. You can probably get any 20ft wakeboard boat. I just know from experience that my axis a20 has a pretty good wakeboard wake but when you want to ski you can just throw a little bit of water in the front of the boat and it makes a pretty small wake. But I am no skier so I don't really know tho
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-17-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
The Moomba Outback V or Mondo might be a good fit too. I drove the 15 Mondo with the new standard engine Indmar Ford Raptor 400-OMG in that little boat! Sorry not allowed to post pics yet.

Ski wake looks like a bump long line but nice at 22 off. Way to many skiers run too fast and concrete in bad habits instead of learning basics of body position at slower speeds with shortline. Much more fun anyways.

The board wake and wave is something everyone really likes for a 20 footer. Surf system is so simple. They have really stepped up the interiors.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
No offense but if you thought the 190 wakeboard wake was a good wake you can pretty much buy anything.
I disagree. My friend sacked his PS190 hard on the floors and the bow. It really was a nice big clean wake. But, the boat was not comfortable full of sacks and people. And, that was 12 years ago. Today, I would want/require a built-in ballast system.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-17-2014, 11:08 AM Reply   
The 200 Sport sounds like it will do what you need.
While any boat marketed as a crossover cant do everything perfectly, the 200 Sport will be best in this order: ski, wakeboard, then surf.
This boat will ski and wakeboard well, and surf "ok".
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-17-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
I disagree. My friend sacked his PS190 hard on the floors and the bow. It really was a nice big clean wake. But, the boat was not comfortable full of sacks and people. And, that was 12 years ago. Today, I would want/require a built-in ballast system.
The 95-97 prostar 190 (plus some other models after that) are basically the same hull as the 205 and 205V hull. It is just smaller. Like you said, if you sacked one out you should get a very, very similar wake to that of the 205 and 205V hull boats.

Boats that seem like they would fit the bill:

-Nautique sv211
-205V hull of any year
-VTX-here you could potentially go with the diamond if you want to favor the skiing side and the wake hull if you want to favor the wakeboard side.
-2001 sunsetter VLX/21 sunscape
-Centurion falcon V. someone mentioned above. This was based of the CEnturion 216 or whatever it was. It is a really flat hull with a spine right down the middle kind of like a lot of traditional Nautiques.
-Outback V. Probably any year but the newer ones seem to be a hit for crossover folks.
-Sanger V210-I can't remember what the consensus is on this boat but maybe ralph or others can chime in. I would think one with a trim tab would excel at wakeboarding and still do dang good at skiing. No doubt it would outdrive all others and use the least amount of fuel.
-I wonder how an older MB like the mid 2000's would be if it had a trim tab. THey have a pretty damn flat hull. That said I don't know how heavy they are or if they really ever made a 20 or 21 foot version.
-or you could get a nautique 2001, completely restore it, throw a GT40 in it and completely sac it out.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2014, 11:50 AM Reply   
Surf is the least of my concerns. I have grown out of the surf craze. It was fun in the beginning. Now it's a total bore.

I think the SN200 looks like a winner for me. If I go new which I like. Either that or a CC2001 all fixed up. Was not there a company doing something like a 2001?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-17-2014, 4:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
I have grown out of the surf craze. It was fun in the beginning. Now it's a total bore.
Could not agree more.

I have a SV211 and now own a 98 SN because it was not that great of a ski boat. 2 choices, buy one of each or compromise...
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2014, 5:51 PM Reply   
Mike, how does the 98SN compare to the SN200 above?
Old     (SESanger)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-17-2014, 7:08 PM Reply   
Take a look at a Sanger V210 or V215. These are incredible cross-over boats that do it all, and do it pretty well.
Old     (pwo)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-18-2014, 6:13 AM Reply   
Pick what is most important or what you think might be down the line. You're a skier looking to get better, and go with other good skiers. Is there a course on your site? Do you want to get into the course and progress there? Then get a direct drive especially if you're just skiing from the dock and have light storage requirements. If you're buying new, consider a TXi with a tower and wedge and that will be more than enough for a casual wakeboarder and will ski way better than any V-drive.

If you're more of a wakeboarder looking to ski casually, get one of the v-drives. Or, if the other guys you're with have have direct drives for the course and you can get pulls when you want, that might weigh you into a v-drive too.

Last edited by pwo; 07-18-2014 at 6:14 AM. Reason: update