Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-12-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
I have a trip planned to Gray Rocks in Wyoming. I have never been to that lake. I see that there is a local Tige reunion trip planned there every year. There is no camp grounds. Just put your camper near the lake. I was hoping that someone could give me the inside information to the best place to camp on the lake. Thanks.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-12-2013, 10:26 PM Reply   
I will let you know on Monday leaving tomorrow morning be up there though the weekend. It will be the first time I have been there also. Herd rumors that it is a good lake when it has water.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2013, 12:26 PM Reply   
There are campgrounds it just isn't assigned camp sites etc.... Just more first come first serve but they are labeled like campground A B C ( I think they are labeled with just letters as the Tige reunion last year was the only time I have been there). They have bathrooms as well but if you have a camper I would steer clear of the bathrooms. We were in site C I believe.

Boat ramps there SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You back in and it seems deep enough then it gets shallow again. So you need to launch with one person in the boat so the damn thing will float off the trailer. Then take the boat over near the beach and make your crew swim out. Or take a big azz crew and have them all shove the boat off trailer minus the girls who stay in the boat.

There are no boat rangers. NONE. While we were there, there was one truck ranger that drove around for about 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening. There are no marinas and gas is way back at the highway. So if you can't make it the weekend on a tank of gas take fuel cans with you or be prepared to drive 30 minutes back to the interstate to fill up.

The water was glass basically the entire time we were there except when the famous Wyoming wind kicks up. We left our boat in the water all weekend and just swam out to it from the beach. If you have a really good anchor I suggest this because once again the boat ramps SUCK!!!!!! Also if it has rained anytime recently do not try and launch or retrieve from the beach. If you do attempt this you may end up like our buddy Big George.

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-13-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
Good old Grayrocks!!! The truck in the picture got stuck while trying to pull my truck out because, yes, you guessed it, the boat ramps SUCK and I decided to beach launch.

It's a great lake, just make sure that if you are tent camping and see a storm coming up, get your azz in your truck!!! I think we usually go in at Gate 11 or something? Go all the way to the north end for the best camping. There isn't any running water so make sure you bring plenty with you because town is about 30 minutes away.

I've had some awesome times there and some bad ones (see picture above).
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-18-2013, 7:23 AM Reply   
Jarod, did you make it out last weekend to Gray Rocks. If so, how was it. Did you get the low down on the best place to camp? I am a little nervous about the boat ramps, how were they?
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-18-2013, 12:00 PM Reply   
we did make it up to Greyrocks. We had a great time. We had no problems at the boat ramps plenty of water to get the MB in and out. The only 2 boat ramps are at the west end of the lake we used the east one of those 2. The water seems to be pretty low from what some of the locals told us but still had plenty in it. We camped at gate 7 wich is a couple gates before the beach area where everybody goes. No running water so bring your own. Like Bruizza said if the wind is not blowing the lake will be smooth do to 90% of the boats are fishing. Do not try to drive close to the water it will swallow your truck right up, we counted 7 buried trucks that had to call wreckers to get them out (was some pretty good entertainment watching them)