Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (KatyMediaRooms)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-06-2014, 10:17 PM Reply   
Howdy folks,

I bit the bullet and decided to get the family a boat. I am picking it up on Wednesday and I am curious what all I need and where to get it?

I am getting an 06 Tige 24V and my first priority is to learn to wake surf. I also need to get life jackets, a tube for the kids, wakeboard and bindings and maybe skis?

I don't want to break the bank (especially after paying my down payment) so I don't mind getting stuff on Amazon or ebay.

I have no idea what size and type of wakesurf board to get etc.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-07-2014, 5:49 AM Reply   

watch this video!!!!!!

It's very Important you don't do power turns, other than that enjoy time with your family and friends.

I like to buy my stuff from the-house.com and overton's and a lot of my boards I get from the classified section here.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-07-2014, 6:34 AM Reply   
Get the basics first.. a bunch of spare life vests, flare kit, air horn, fenders and lines, throw cushion, first aid kit.

THEN go get the fun stuff. I've always had good luck getting stuff from evo.com and the-house.com
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       10-07-2014, 6:53 AM Reply   
Check this out from West Matine.

http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdviso...fety-Equipment

It outlines the items you are requiored to have. From there add an anchor - box anchor is awesome. Your boards and other fun stuff. I have also used Overtons, Evo and the house. They all do a great job.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-07-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
Craigslist will also be an asset to pick things up cheap such as life jackets, tubes, and used boards possibly for the kids.

Also for your boat setup and info: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/forum.php
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-07-2014, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Craigslist will also be an asset to pick things up cheap such as life jackets, tubes, and used boards possibly for the kids.

Also for your boat setup and info: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/forum.php
Agree, though my experience has been that most people selling wakeboard / wakesurf gear on Craigslist greatly overestimate its worth. They think the fact they paid $400 for the board in 2006 means it's worth $250 today. I rarely see wake gear on Craigslist priced anywhere close to what I'd call reasonable for used equipment. Prepare to negotiate.

Also try evo.com in their outlet section and you can often get great deals on brand new stuff if you don't mind prior year models. You often can find brand new and high end equipment on Evo's outlet for less than the asking price of crappy old used stuff on craigslist.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-07-2014, 10:16 AM Reply   
^ You are right about that most of the time Orange. I laugh when someone is trying to sell an old 06 parks board for $ 4-500 still. At the same time there are still deals out there or people like us that know what an item is currently worth.

That being said Matt: You can always check the classifieds on this site as well. Where we know the value of that Parks board.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2014, 10:29 AM Reply   
evo.com

check out there "outlet" section
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-07-2014, 10:56 AM Reply   
The-house has an outlet section as well.
Old     (Blueliner)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-07-2014, 11:47 AM Reply   
The first thing I bought was a spare tire(s) for the trailer, in many cases they are optional.

When we bought our boat we were 2 hours into a four hour return trip from the dealer when one of the tires (luckily it was a tandem trailer) completely shredded on the highway in the middle of nowhere, we were able to limp 5 miles to a nearby farm where this good Samaritan of a soul allowed us to use his tools and leave the trailer/boat on his lot (his brother has the nearly same Moomba!...small world) while we drove 1 hour out of our way and waited 2-3 hours for the tire to be replaced, then another hour back. The tire shop finished the tire 10 minutes before closing time!

When I got home the next day I ordered two spare tire/rims,.... a spare, and a spare for my spare, plus some extra tools to make a change out easier. If you do long hauls in the middle of nowhere after hours or sundays I would get a second spare.

Just my $0.02

AS for the other typical stuff, don't be afraid to look at garage sales, I got a used tube for next to nothing. Walmart also has cheap life jackets...the mandatory extra ones.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       11-07-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
evo,com or buywake.com have always been my go to sites for those things
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-07-2014, 11:53 AM Reply   
The Big Mable tube is great. It's easy on bones for adults and lots of fun for the kids. And it lasts really well. When on the dock it's a great sofa.
Many very different surfboards are available. Get one that's bigger to you can be up long enough to learn to ride without needing a huge wake. Depending how old your kids are you might want to get a small light skim style board for them to start on. Pick up a surf specific rope.
Really cheap water skis are useless so don't get those. A wakeboard is easier to learn on when the kids are small and you can probably find a pair of skis that are reasonable for adults to play with.
Very important is to pick up several Aqua Zookas (to use as manual bailers, or so I told my wife)
Get more mooring lines than you need and wraps to keep them tied up.

Enjoy.

Oops, just saw date and realized you probably are well equipped by now.

Last edited by rallyart; 11-07-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: saw the date
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       11-11-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
boardersbestbuy.com, check daily.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-11-2014, 12:51 PM Reply   
I suggest you avoid online buying whenever possible and establish a relationship with a local shop if you have one that you like. After a while, your loyalty should payoff, and you may start getting hooked up.

Once a local proshop manager recognizes you as a frequent customer, they'll usually take good care of you on things like warranty. For example. If you break a board or piece of equipment, a relationship with a local shop could result in you walking out with new product on the spot in time for the weekend, vs. an online retailer where you may be waiting weeks for a replacement. Also, an online retailer is never going to send you boards to demo, and they're not going to support your local events.

You're going to want that shop to be around in the future. Support them with your business. It usually pays off.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-11-2014, 12:52 PM Reply   
craigslist will have tons in your area. Also go support the local shops like M2, they will be there for you when you need warranty and additional product/advice.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-11-2014, 1:10 PM Reply   
Hit up Wakemakers for your ballast setup. I doubt you'll want to stay stock for long, especially surfing. At least upgrading to a 750 or preferably a 1100 in the rear side you are going to be surfing is a must.

For the boards, you can check out my review thread in the wakesurfing section and see if there is anything that sounds like it'd work out for you. It doesn't cover every board, but 20 something of them to date.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-11-2014, 1:48 PM Reply   
the HO vests that costco gets every spring are very nice. They are usually about $50 and are comparable to the $100-125 stuff online.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-11-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
^This. I rock one of these. $40-50 for the same vest direct from HO that's $70+, just in a different color scheme.