Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ottoak)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-21-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
Hi everyone, I'm looking into possibly getting a new board and im not sure exactly what to go with! Both the shredstixx boards (carbon sixxer, chaos pro or ringer) and the inland surfer flyboy seem like really good boards, and I was hoping I could get a bit more information here.

I already ride an in land surfer 4-skim (not exactly sure the model), and love it, but was hoping to get another board with more of a surf feel to it. I have a 2012 nautique 210 with the NSS installed, so my wake is pretty big when loaded with 2 350 pound fat sacs on my side (i'm regular) and all stock ballast in.

I can do 360s, landed some shuv-its and can do small airs, and i wanted a board that is still somewhat easy to spin on, but mostly that is better for airs and more surf style tricks!

thanks guys!
Old     (ottoak)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-21-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
Also, I'm about 6 feet tall, and weigh about 190.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2014, 12:22 PM Reply   
Alex,

At 190lb you will want the big boy Flyboy, and or the 4'8" Carbon Sixer. Both boards are easy to spin and are design as high performance boards for advanced riding.
The sixer would generally have the edge on airs, where as the flyboy will rotate more smoothly.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-21-2014, 1:09 PM Reply   
Well, I owned a flyboy. If you land a shove-it on a flyboy, I want to see it. Not going to be easy, even for an advanced rider like yourself (definitely advanced if you manage to land any shove-it). Fins are big and long. I think you need to stick to a skim style board based on your type of riding. You are going to get very tried of the surf style board given what you do with a 4-skim. I personally think you need to be looking at the Phase 5 line, as I think they are a good mix of skim and surf style.

I've owned 3 different Inland Surfers. A flyboy, a Kenan Surf, and a 4-Skim (my wife's Caro, but I love the hell out of it). My wife also has an older Danielo Diamond that I have found to think is the best, and everytime I try a new Phase 5, I fall in love.
Old     (ottoak)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-21-2014, 3:41 PM Reply   
Thanks, but with my success rate and the fact that i forgot to mention the shove-its were still with the rope I think im far from advanced yet!

And also, I'm more into adding a new board to my quiver than replacing my current 4-skim, which i still plan on riding! I just love the look and style of both real surfing and wake surfing, and want a board that falls more into the surf category to expand the scope of my riding! The big airs and carves and whatnot are just much easier with the surf style boards (i've rode a couple grindwater boards as well as a ronix carbon thruster).
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Alex,

At 190lb you will want the big boy Flyboy, and or the 4'8" Carbon Sixer. Both boards are easy to spin and are design as high performance boards for advanced riding.
The sixer would generally have the edge on airs, where as the flyboy will rotate more smoothly.
I might be completely out of my head here disagreeing with you but, I'm 190 and I feel perfectly comfortable on a regular flyboy.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
Fence Sence, you might be and that is great, there are no absolutes here, but I have received many complaints from people at that size range riding the smaller flyboy. For good measure and since a 190 person often becomes a 200+ person, the big boy was recommended. Also, Alex is looking for more of a surfy feel as near as I can tell, and the larger flyboy will hold up better to some pumping at his weight.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-22-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
Like you I normally ride a skimboard. Everyonce in a while I like to mix it up with a surf style board. But when I ride a surf style board I want it to be as surfy as it gets. I want to be able to do the stuff I can't do on my skimboard. For that reason, I really like the Chaos and Mendonedia shapes preferably thrusters or quads.

I'm not a big fan of twinzers or twins, or boards with flat rockers. When I'm on a surfboard I want something powerful and aggressive

That's all my opinion, but I recommend you get something that's the opposite of a skimboard since you already have one.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-22-2014, 8:41 AM Reply   
Mitch what mendo shape do you prefer?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-22-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
Whatever Chris Wolter is riding. Ive been riding his boards a lot. I know last year it was called the Half Moon, but I dont know what his board is called this year. It's a fun shape. He usually rides it with TMF-1s in the back, but I would like to try it with bigger rears. It's pretty loose with the TMF-1 rears.

The surf style board I have is a handmedown Custom Shred Stixx/Chaos 4'7" Hazen from when Chris rode for Shred Stixx. It is so much fun.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-22-2014, 9:33 AM Reply   
I liked my old SS Piranha but I got smaller and the board just felt to big for me, I kinda miss riding a thruster from time to time...

Last edited by BenHolloway; 07-22-2014 at 9:40 AM.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Fence Sence, you might be and that is great, there are no absolutes here, but I have received many complaints from people at that size range riding the smaller flyboy. For good measure and since a 190 person often becomes a 200+ person, the big boy was recommended. Also, Alex is looking for more of a surfy feel as near as I can tell, and the larger flyboy will hold up better to some pumping at his weight.
Good point. Much respect.

As a skimmer by nature, I really like the feel of the Flyboy so perhaps a complete divergence is in order for the OP. I've always wanted to have a go on one of your crazy looking rides. I've just never had the opportunity. It's still a fairly small scene around here and I've never come across someone with one. I did meet you here last year at the Tige ASR unveiling in Reno but, it wasn't a situation where I was gonna get a ride. One of these days.

Last edited by fence_sence; 07-22-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old     (ottoak)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-22-2014, 5:17 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! I personally think im going to go with the carbon sixxer! it sounds like the type of board id like to ride, fast with good pop and a little looser, and also looks sick!
Old     (ottoak)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-22-2014, 7:47 PM Reply   
Actually- I now have the option of getting a 4'8" soulcraft fangtail (someone custom ordered it but backed out). Anyone have any thought on what the big differences would be?
Old    Steer_Mike            08-06-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
I have gotten a board from www.ampdhd.com they carry both shredstixx and inland surfer and I ride both. Just depends your riding style. I recommend inland surfer. Been riding that board more.
Old     (AZShreds)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-06-2014, 3:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoak View Post
Actually- I now have the option of getting a 4'8" soulcraft fangtail (someone custom ordered it but backed out). Anyone have any thought on what the big differences would be?
I personally ride the 4'8 Fang Tail, its a very fun pump-driven board. This board generates speed as you work it. The Fang tail shape has a nice release off the top of the wave making airs very fun!
Da Honu has been a board that a lot of people have liked, a little more forgiving than the Fang Tail when you compare work/speed. The wide-round tail of Da Honu makes great for pocket surfing, especially for those people learning and those who like to spin. This board has plenty of speed with little effort. Da Honu comes as a twin-fin which makes for more a loose feel, without losing speed! I currently have a 4'8 Honu ready to ship..
Old     (SurfNerd)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-06-2014, 11:19 PM Reply   
I own several boards similar to what you are considering: ShredStixx Pro, Inland Surfer Sweet Spot Pro, Danielo Carbon ... and my newest and fave board yet, the Mendonesia Full Moon (the new Chris Wolter model 2014).

After riding a hand-made foam-core, thin-glass board (the 4'8" Wolter), all the others are just wall art now. It's not even close. I love having the drive of a quad (big airs) with the flexibility to drop the back fins to twinz it out for a loose feel (read: spins and shuvs).

I tried two other Mendo boards (a 4'6" quad and a 4'6" thruster), but the Wolter was the best of them all. I am 5'11" and weigh a buck-80.

If you're considering the ShredStixx board, the biggest difference I can point to is the weight of the board. My SS Pro has a thicker layer of glass and weighs a ton more than my Wolter.

Going forward, to make any personal progress, I will only consider hand-made boards. I plan to order a custom Soulcraft board this winter. My wife and daughter have them (the Emily and Angie models) and they are awesome ... and even lighter than the Mendo board.

Nothing wrong with Inland, Phase 5 or SS boards, but my personal opinion is that you can't beat a hand-made (thin glass) board.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-07-2014, 7:29 AM Reply   
Erik,

Basically all boards, that is all foam core boards are hand made. Some compression molded boards use foam plugs with minimal hand shaping, but that is far from what we are talking about here.

The difference you are talking about is a custom or factory model board made in the US versus one made overseas, and the difference between a board laminated to last a season or two versus one that will need to be retired in a few months. Again, there is nothing different about the build process, just materials. Most factory models are laminated heavier and stronger because the majority of buyers, especially dealers expect the board the last longer than a year. Your average pro style board has a shelf life of a few months.

The factory made Chaos Carbon Sixer weighs in at about 5lbs, lighter than boards you are referring to, and it is still built to withstand abuse. Your average custom board from me will weigh between 3.5 and 5.5 depending on size. Small boards weigh less. The higher the volume, the greater the weight.

A board can be made very light, but light weight is not necessarily what you always want. Light weight boards have a number or rotational problems, get caught in the wind and have a tendency to land very 'hard' when coming down from airs, typically throwing the rider off. This can be very evident in skim boards. Your average skim board can be made to be 3lbs or less, but it will not spin/rotate properly, amongst the other problems discuss above.
Old     (SurfNerd)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-12-2014, 12:21 PM Reply   
I agree with your take, Nick. I was like Alex when I started looking for more of a surf-style board. I guess what I am saying is that the typical off-the-shelf boards are good to start with ... but if you want to progress towards more pro-style tricks, I felt it necessary to go with a custom board. It sounds like he can already shred pretty good - so he might tap the limits of an off-the-shelf board sooner than most riders.

Update on my experience: I removed the two rear fins on the Wolter board and WOW ... way bigger airs! I am a fan of a "locked" board down the channel (which is why I rarely ride skim boards anymore) ... but the Mendonesia Full Moon doesn't get overly slippery when you remove the two smaller (rear) fins. It's like I got a whole new board! Super stoked on that board!

Happy shredding, people.