Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-23-2014, 3:11 PM Reply   
We had a nylon fitting that connects a hose to the exhaust manifold jacket (below is a picture of the culprit) break off over the weekend as we were pulling out of one of our hangout spots. I noticed it when I couldnt get the boat to plane out when i was bringing it up to cruising speed. From the time i'd started the boat until when i shut it off was probably around 3-4 minutes (all but around 20-30 seconds of that was spent idling out of the cove). Replacing the fitting should be an easy fix as I've already removed the broken one and have the new one on its way. My main concern though is this might have damaged the engine. Is there anything else i should be concerned about? I'm assuming the boat wouldnt plane out for one of the following reasons:

1) The shear amount of weight from the water that was being pumped directly into the bilge from the broken fitting.
2) Steam created from the water hitting the engine was eating up all of the oxygen in the compartment & starving the engine.

I've done a fair amount of research on this and it sounds like it's a somewhat common issue. Also, the boat is a 2008 Malibu VLX with the 340 Monsoon. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-24-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
Is there any reason you can't upgrade it to a brass fitting instead of the nylon one? It looks to me like it's a fairly simple threaded 90 degree elbow in a common thread pattern and hose size. An ounce of prevention and all.

Also if the engine was being starved of oxygen, it would be running rich. Running rich at most will foul your plugs. More than likely it noticed the lack of air and went into limp mode for a while. I would not be concerned about damage to the engine, at most the plugs. Running lean with too much air, is what will cause detonation and cause engine damage.