Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       12-06-2016, 9:24 AM Reply   
Anyone have any good way to take videos that are hands free? I like to record my sessions so I can save my good jumps and also look over my technique and improve on it.

1. I know recording with my phone or a real camera produces great footage. But I hate tieing a friend up my entire run.

2. A gopro does work because of its wide angle. However, that same wide angle makes the footage terrible. Also I still need to have a friend constantly turning it on and off because otherwise the battery would die quickly.

Something like this would be perrfect: http://wakeye.com

However, not only is it from overseas so getting it would be a little bit of a hassle, but its $300+ which is ridiculous.

Any ideas?
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       12-06-2016, 10:25 AM Reply   
If you want a cheaper mount, you can see if something from http://www.theskidoc.com/index-sd.htm would work. It says their orbit one won't fit wakeboard towers, but I'm guessing it would depend on how much height off the tower your tow point is. Alternatively, if you have a lower pylon, should fit on there, but obviously won't swivel with the rope, but that might actually be preferred for your use.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-06-2016, 2:33 PM Reply   
I know you don't want to tie a friend up, so instead get them all set up with the camera ready to go (zoomed in etc with instructions) and just ask them to record 5 minutes max once I give the nod. Usually if I mention I'm trying something new and explain why most people are happy to film for a bit, particularly if they know when to shoot, and that they don't have to point the camera the whole time. Totally understand not wanting to tie them up though.

Also, there was a DIY I saw once where they basically made it out of thick wire. I will see if I can find it somewhere.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-06-2016, 2:52 PM Reply   
Not quite what I was thinking but...

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewto...d8492589e71a07
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-07-2016, 12:19 PM Reply   
gopro remote w/ a tracking mount would do you good. set FOV to narrow. 600' range with the waterproof remote. Off/On, Rec/stop, change functions (vid, single, burst)
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       12-08-2016, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
gopro remote w/ a tracking mount would do you good. set FOV to narrow. 600' range with the waterproof remote. Off/On, Rec/stop, change functions (vid, single, burst)
Tracking mount?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-08-2016, 11:26 PM Reply   
basic camera mount right below tow point. run the rope through it and it will track your side to side movement, may not be necessary with a gopro set on the right FOV
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-09-2016, 7:10 AM Reply   
These will be available in the new year. They say that there will be a boat mount.
www.soloshot.com

Not cheap but seems like a good camera with a zoom.
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-20-2017, 5:30 AM Reply   
I use a GoPro, that I have mounted on my tower. While you said earlier that you dont like having to have a friend turn it on and off, and while either the app or the remote would fix that problem, I started using a Trace. http://www.traceup.com/ This thing is awesome. You can sync the newer GoPro and some other cameras and it will auto edit for you, if you put the videos in your dropbox. It also does an overlay for you with stats such as speed, height, airtime, etc. I would suggest checking it out, as the auto editing is perfect, and the stats are fun.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-20-2017, 9:10 AM Reply   
Ryan, how do you zoom in? Does the auto editor do that for you?
Old     (quakerroatmeal)      Join Date: May 2016       04-29-2017, 6:05 PM Reply   
Not the cheapest but we've zip tied a Gimbal/GoPro setup to the table pole. Doesn't need to zoom or film in wide angle as the gimbal follows the rider back and forth. Perfect for tracking form and seeing what you're doing.

Last edited by quakerroatmeal; 04-29-2017 at 6:09 PM. Reason: na
Old     (Zteven)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-02-2017, 3:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal View Post
Not the cheapest but we've zip tied a Gimbal/GoPro setup to the table pole. Doesn't need to zoom or film in wide angle as the gimbal follows the rider back and forth. Perfect for tracking form and seeing what you're doing.
The gimbal follows the rider? What brand / set-up are you using? I'm looking for something like this myself.
Old     (quakerroatmeal)      Join Date: May 2016       05-08-2017, 10:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zteven View Post
The gimbal follows the rider? What brand / set-up are you using? I'm looking for something like this myself.
Yes the gimbal follows the rider. It's a Feiyu Tech gimbal with a GoPro Hero3/4 that I'm using
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       05-09-2017, 10:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal View Post
Yes the gimbal follows the rider. It's a Feiyu Tech gimbal with a GoPro Hero3/4 that I'm using
What am I missing here..... How does the gimbal follow the rider? A gimble just stabilizes the camera. What makes it go left and right as the rider goes left and right?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-09-2017, 10:15 AM Reply   
its a wearable tag/chip, the gimbal follows it. very cool especially for a gopro where getting the right angle from a fixed mount is interesting at best
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       05-09-2017, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
its a wearable tag/chip, the gimbal follows it. very cool especially for a gopro where getting the right angle from a fixed mount is interesting at best
Where is this? Can you link to the gimbal and tag/chip combo. Or give the names/models to google?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-09-2017, 11:58 AM Reply   
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&sku=1170808
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       05-09-2017, 12:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Where does it say anything about following a tag/chip ? I haven't seen one mention of that anywhere. I see it mentions that you can have an external remote, but the operation of that is manual and not automatic.

Thanks for the info!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-09-2017, 12:17 PM Reply   
this one does, bit different price range
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ld_3_axis.html

there's another one I posted last year, can't remember the name of it tho....

I was talking with a guy at a crawfish boil on saturday, he something similar and seemed to think it would lock on a subject and follow them around. Could control it with his phone

another option, same price range
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&sku=1325910

Last edited by denverd1; 05-09-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old     (quakerroatmeal)      Join Date: May 2016       06-04-2017, 5:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
What am I missing here..... How does the gimbal follow the rider? A gimble just stabilizes the camera. What makes it go left and right as the rider goes left and right?

Oops my fault about that it does not follow the rider. It just stabilizes the GoPro like you stated. The GoPro seems to shoot wide enough for us to see what we're doing wrong. Here's a clip of the that setup.

https://www.facebook.com/kenneth.dan...8630590543644/

Let me know if ya can see the clip with the link posted
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-05-2017, 9:04 AM Reply   
Can't watch, gotta change the privacy settings I think.
Old     (quakerroatmeal)      Join Date: May 2016       06-05-2017, 11:53 AM Reply   
I uploaded it to vimeo instead. Let me know if this works instead. I think vimeo compressed my clip