Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-13-2016, 9:05 PM Reply   
Anyone have them, any feedback?
How well do they hold?
Do the straps look like they'll hold up?

I'm really interested in the KTVs, just looking for any user input.

I have been on R.A.D.s for the last 3 seasons.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-14-2016, 5:53 AM Reply   
Gummy straps are sick! No word on how well they'll hold up over time yet, but they are very strong and do the trick a lot better than the old velcro straps did. All the bindings also come with an extra set, so even if they did start to wear you've got extras!

As far as switching from the RAD's to KTV's, I think the main difference you'll notice is how much they flex. The RAD's are a happy medium as far as flexibility goes, but they KTV's are really loose, which some people love. I actually switched from 16 KTV's to 17 RAD's because I wanted some more ankle support, but I will admit it was a tough decision because the KTV's look so good this year. You definitely can't go wrong with either though. They're both some of the most comfortable boots out there right now.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       10-14-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
I really like the idea of the gummy strap. The typical laces on my Ronix always seem to loosen up and I'm always snugging them up.
Since the gummy strap is replaceable easily then I would hope it at least holds up as well as the standard laces that I've replaced over the years.

I already put the RADs on my holiday list.
Old     (2002SupraLaunch)      Join Date: Sep 2016       10-14-2016, 11:30 AM Reply   
Any known issues with using them on older boards?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-14-2016, 9:39 PM Reply   
I actually would prefer a softer boot. I thought the RADs were a bit stiff and rigid for my liking when they were new, but broke in real nice a couple months into the season. When I rode LF stuff I always preferred the Shane boot to the Watson as it was a bit softer flex boot.

The 17 RADs look awesome too, but I'm ready to give this gummy strap thing a shot. Velcro issues aside, on my old RADs I thought even the SS lacing system left something to be desired. The lace locks just wouldn't stay tight on those skinny little laces. I wound up replacing them with Kiwi black work boot laces from walmart and an old LF lace lock, since the new laces wouldn't fit in the SS lock. It worked way better than the SS laces did out of the box, but I was always adjusting the laces and velcro on those boots after about 2 falls.

Steve doesn't look like there would be any issues using the new SS boots on other brand boards. SS now has traditional M6 inserts like most all other brands have had for a while now. Although didn't someone else just introduce a track this year?
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-15-2016, 5:05 AM Reply   
Liquid Force went to a track this year on most of their high end boards.... the "flex track".
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       05-15-2017, 1:09 PM Reply   
Has anyone mounted these on a flextrack slingshot board yet? I'm wondering if they'll work on non insert boards, like if I have an older slingshot.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2017, 4:14 PM Reply   
Slingshot told me they would work, however I think the M5 screws that go into the fasttrack plugs are a little short. I didn't put one together so I don't know for sure.

I did order a 2017 Response and new 2017 KTVs, but then decided I didn't want the board because they took over 3" out of the stance width and I can't ride that skinny (I'm tall).

I considered keeping the 2017 KTVs, cause I really wanted the gummy strap boots, and putting them on a 2016 board. But I found a great deal on a full setup 2016 Response and RAD, so I went with that.

I think the KTV boots are heavy compared to last year's, Slingshot confirmed this for me also that the new base plates and hardware are a bit heavier, BUT, the boards are now lighter since they took out the fasttrack and all the reinforcement material. So the net effect is zero added weight (when you have a matching 2017 board/boot setup). Putting 17 boots on a 16 board would be a little heavier, probably not enough to affect your riding.

The adding weight comes in the new binding plates (or lack there of) and the binding hardware. It looks durable as hell. I bent the plates pretty bad on a pair of 2014 RADS, these new boots look like they are as indestructible as Slingshot boards are.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2017, 4:16 PM Reply   
Back to your question Rich... you might have to find some longer M5 stainless screws (IF the factory ones from 2016 boards are not long enough). Any hardware stores will have this, buy stainless if you can find it, might take a specialty hardware store to find that.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       05-17-2017, 9:29 AM Reply   
Thanks Dustin. That is super helpful!