Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-12-2015, 2:43 PM Reply   
http://woosports.com/

It's made for kiteboarding specifically but they say they're working on that:

Quote:
July 23rd, 1:46pm
Will this device work for wakeboarding? Average jump height is maybe 6-7
ft, duration under 2 sec I think.

July 24th, 9:02am
Hi Alain,

Currently we are refining our algorithms to be able to cross over into
wakeboarding appropriately. Right now the WOO will discredit jumps under
1m. Stay tuned for future updates!

Best,
Tyler
Thoughts?

Personally, aside from device sensitivity concerns, I'm wondering if the device will end up measuring jump height from flat water or the top of the wake.

This is how it measures height: http://blog.woosports.com/tech/how-d...g-jump-height/

On this thread [1], another device was mentioned (http://www.xensr.com/), it claims support for wakeboarding, but they're currently still taking pre-orders.

The thread [1] quoted the following on how the Xensr works (no idea where the quote came from though):

Quote:
The XensrCase is looking at your motion 400 times every second. It's examining your G loading (acceleration) in all 3 axis, your angles (gyro), keeping track of where the Earth is (GPS + magnetometer) and watching the air pressure. All of this data is used to determine your precise 3D location, and also watch for jump events.

Many assume that Xensr's TruMotion technology uses the altimeter for jump heights. This is incorrect. Xensr computes your jumps based on movement data For water sports, the Xensr Case is sealed against water in an airtight case, thus preventing any reliable air pressure changes to be measured rendering the altimeter useless. The 3D measurement from TruMotion gives jump height data to less than one inch of precision.

Sometimes it's as precise at 3mm and averages around 1cm of precision. At worst, it's 1 inch of precision, so that's what we use for our precision claim.
[1] http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/K...eight-of-jump/
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-12-2015, 4:11 PM Reply   
My thought: Why do you need to measure how high you jump? Plus they use the metric system. Now im going to have to use a conversion website to decipher my actual height. Aint nobody got time for that.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-13-2015, 11:18 AM Reply   
Remember the shadowbox?
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-13-2015, 11:26 AM Reply   
I don't, but they mentioned it in the kiteboarding forum thread. How did/does the Shadowbox work?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-13-2015, 12:11 PM Reply   
Would be fun for five minutes.

I would just grab a friend and jump over them to assess height. The better question is, who cares?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-13-2015, 10:32 PM Reply   
They only place in wakeboarding I would think this would be cool to use would be during double ups! Other than that... Meh
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-13-2015, 11:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Would be fun for five minutes.

I would just grab a friend and jump over them to assess height. The better question is, who cares?
I could not agree more, who cares.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2015, 8:03 AM Reply   
For wakeboarding, who cares, but for something like kiteboarding or foiling (airchair) it's all about height.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-14-2015, 10:33 AM Reply   
Wakeboaring is getting complicated, so now I have to carry my waterproof hitcase so I can listen to iTunes while I ride. I have to put the woo or shadowbox on my board to see where I've been, need a go pro on the handle and a go pro on a selfie sitck.

Maybe I'm old school, but I dont even believe in perfect pass.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-14-2015, 11:00 AM Reply   
Perfect pass blows.

ZeroOff and my right hand do a better job

But yea. Just go out and have fun. Be creative. Stop worrying about ways to waste money
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-14-2015, 4:33 PM Reply   
haha.. what if we're creative, kick back, bad azz rider, don't worry about chit and have a lot of money to blow?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-14-2015, 7:46 PM Reply   
Do you also wear shorts over your full suit?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2015, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
I dont even believe in perfect pass.
Oh, it exists. I've seen it!
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-17-2015, 12:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Do you also wear shorts over your full suit?
And a t-shirt
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-18-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Oh, it exists. I've seen it!
Hahahaha True. "My line usually goes, I don't believe in perfect pass, I have perfect wrist." I have been wakeboarding for WAY to long. I just watch the rider and the wake to dial in the speed, no gauges or tech needed.