Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-28-2016, 9:48 AM Reply   
I recently put in a new dock and am trying to find the best way to provide audio to the dock / beach area of out house.

In the past I've used mini amps, receivers, and other products made for indoor use ... and even when covered or in an enclosure they don't hold up well.

My latest thought was to get a newer marine head unit (gauge fit), mount it in a post on my shore near where my outlets are .... from there run out to speakers mounted on the dock. I'm thinking this will hold up much better to the elements and provide the power I need to push 2-4 speakers.

Since its a head unit it wants 12v and as far as I can tell will need at least 5 amps to run reliably. Can I simply buy a 12v 5a power supply from Amazon, run the head units power wires to the positive, and ground to ground to get it to fire up? Powering up/down will be a manual thing now, but besides that, am I missing something?

Head unit like this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...tic-GMR-1.html
Powered by this: https://www.amazon.com/TNTE-12-Volt-...a+power+supply
Power standard outdoor speakers.

Will this work?

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 08-28-2016 at 9:53 AM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-28-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
Update - yes, it does work. Played with some old chargers I had laying around and we're good to go!

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-29-2016, 1:16 PM Reply   
Hey Nick:
For what your doing this head unit will work Awesome:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEX-XB10...ny+mex-xb100bt

Its got's lots of power (like a built in amp) and will push 4 6X9's or some outdoor speakers no problem.

You can use a Outdoor Light power supply for your 12v power source (most out door garden light's are 12v) you can use a Garden light power supply to power your head unit Or what you have shown. if your looking for some Outdoor speakers I can recommend Niles. Check Craig's list for them I them often
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-29-2016, 2:27 PM Reply   
grant do you trust the output #s on that Sony HU?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2016, 3:28 PM Reply   
Why not just keep it simple and use a Bose Mini Soundlink or such? The Bose units put out some pretty good sound at volume and t's portable so you can always use it for other things as well.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-29-2016, 3:54 PM Reply   
I installed one in my Pontoon boat, I was Impressed. And for $200 You cant go wrong. I don't know of another unit that makes this much power. And to be 100% Honest
this is just a head unit used to get me by. It was a quick and easy way of avoiding installing a amp or AKA doing it the right way.

check out this video. This guy says it produces more Power then they say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zkLwQVHxfI

And they Say you can configure it to power a sub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35aVhYoifzM
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-29-2016, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Why not just keep it simple and use a Bose Mini Soundlink or such?
That was my first though, but this I can install once and be done with it forever. I figure this way if I power 4x speakers I can cover the dock, beach area, and back towards the house / patio area.

Quote:
I was Impressed. And for $200 You cant go wrong.
That amount of power is pretty darn impressive. I plan on mounting everything in/on some old stainless PLC cabinets where I work is planning on purging.... given their size a full size head unit would totally fit. Also the 2x 2 ohm + sub setup is awesome it does it as an all in one. Thanks for the link(s)!

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 08-29-2016 at 5:30 PM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2016, 7:34 AM Reply   
They also make stand alone Head Unit boxes with a splash proof face plate so in Theroy you could have the unit in the open and still protected. The IPhone app that lets you control everything from volume to sound and Adjust the EQ to changing the color of the lights on the face plate is pretty cool. Accessing menus on a new head unit is always Not fun trying to figure out how to get to this setting or that setting sucks. But with your iPhone it's super easy.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-30-2016, 8:26 AM Reply   
Given the power of the Sony HU, there are plenty of good-sized, fully-enclosure w/ brackets, dvc/dual-tweeter, outdoor speakers available. Using all four channels, one pair would do it.

I would definitely use an AC to DC power supply with a rating that far exceeds the expected draw.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-30-2016, 9:06 AM Reply   
Glad to see Sony step it back up. they were making junk for at least a decade

Although seems like a well built soundbar would handle all your looking for. Course, you're stuck with bluetooth connectivity or a head unit to send it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2016, 10:28 AM Reply   
Nacho: I don't think SONY is or has Stepped up. They still make junk trust me. This unit just happens to work for the situation
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-30-2016, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Why not just keep it simple and use a Bose Mini Soundlink or such? The Bose units put out some pretty good sound at volume and t's portable so you can always use it for other things as well.
I have a buddy that had the bose mini and it was underwhelming. not loud enough for a group around a portable fire pit.

If you were going to go with a Bluetooth solution, I highly recommend the Ultimate Ears Boom2. It's at the $200 price point and it's waterproof and shockproof. lasts 15 hours on a charge. I've been pretty happy with mine.

That said, I'd likely go with a more "permanent" solution like they're talking about on this thread. But in the speaker world, I've never been impressed by anything Bose. all marketing and hype. I have a bose system in my Audi S6, and like the saying goes: If it doesn't have good highs or lows, it must be Bose.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-30-2016, 12:56 PM Reply   
So many of the factory automobile audio systems have a license to use the brand & logo to help market the vehicle but really do not contain any type of equipment by that brand. This extends to many brands beyond Bose.
Bose does some excellent things in small table top equipment, headphones, prosound, BT and remote speakers, tiny theater packages, etc. Much like Sonos makes very good whole-house compact speakers. When you want to move into something substantial then you must move past these brands. They know their market niche very well and there is some legit engineering.