Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-23-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Wow. What a game. Easily one of the best games I have ever seen. We go from getting on a plane and going home to winning the group.
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-23-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       06-23-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Amazing, what a finish!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-23-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
feel for that goalie, he busted his behind and had a great game
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-23-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
Such a great game today. I had just finished telling my daughter, "No wonder people in the U.S. don't like soccer. We have to score three legit goals just to get one counted!" Then Donovan puts that one through! I was screaming my head off and freaked out my daughter. I looooooove watching soccer!! Can't wait for the next round.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-23-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
US v Ghana. Prob better than getting Germany. England coach behaving like they've won the tournament. To be expected I suppose after crushing the mighty Slovenia. Good on the US for winning the group. All Englands swaggering bravado before the WC and they cannot even top their group. Hope Germany blow them out on Sunday.US can make quarters at least.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-23-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
When is the next U.S. game? I can't seem to find the schedule on ESPN. Both Ghana and Germany looked pretty sharp today, but I'm definitely glad we got Ghana. How does it work from here on out? Do they do groups again?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-23-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
The US plays Ghana at 2pm Eastern (I'm pretty sure EST) on ABC.

Saturday
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-23-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
The US plays Ghana on Monday, June 28th at 10am EDT. The winner of that game plays the winner of the Uruguay vs South Korea game on Friday, July 2nd.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-23-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
us v. ghana on saturday at 2 pm est. can't wait for the rematch from 2006.
what a stressful game today! ugh. I practically gave myself an ulcer this morning. should have been 3 or 4 nothing. aside from altidore putting that one over the crossbar by about 500 feet, I thought he played really, really well today. I would love to see Buddle starting up top with him on saturday. I thought Buddle did a pretty good job in a limited amount of time. let gomez come off the bench in the 75th minute or so, and let his energy help the US later in the game. if necessary of course.
glad to see the loudmouthed slovenians going home, even though england going home would have been just as nice.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-23-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
Another site has the game starting at 230 pm est on Saturday, June 26th.

There is a bracket on foxsports (and I'm sure other sites) that shows the matchups and potential matchups.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
The game does start at 2:30 PM EST There is always a half hour of pre-game before they start the match. I hope we can get the revenge we deserve against Ghana for 2006. Going undefeated in the first round. We are well on our way boys.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
Does anyone know what happened to Gooch? He has been playing like crap but what the heck?

Can not wait for Saturday!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
didn't it seem like the pace of the game changed when buddle came into the game?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-23-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Dave - it's knockout from here. Tied after 90 minutes they play 30 minutes of extra time. If one team scores any time in that 30 min it is a "golden goal" and the game ends right there. If no score after the 30 it goes to penalties
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-23-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
"didn't it seem like the pace of the game changed when buddle came into the game? "

yes. I am a big fan of buddle playing more minutes. I think he brings to the table, what charlie davies brought.
I think gooch needed a break. he has played a lot of minutes while not being completely fit.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-23-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
Very excited about the result today, ABSOLUTELY deserved it.

The thing I was most impressed with was the play of the Forwards. I thought Altidore did well, although he needs to realize he isn't Robinho and start passing and laying off more balls in the mid field. Gomez was all over the place. Seriously, I saw him go from shooting on target to defending at the top of the box, also had some great shots, and showed amazing pace. I can't believe we were worried about replacing Davies. I still believe he was a step above, but wow the rest of the squad is really stepping up.

One thing I'm interested to see now is where a lot of these players end up after the tournament. Cherundolo, Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, Demerit, Bocanegra (at his age though, I dont see him leaving rennes), and Gomez have had very good matches, and are all deserving of moves to better clubs. This could be very good for US soccer if these players can lock down contracts with champions league level squads.

I've got Demps and Donovan going to the big four. Chelsea will have first pick, and whichever they get the other one will end up at a top 4 or Europa League side at the worst.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwsrider View Post
I thought Altidore did well, although he needs to realize he isn't Robinho and start passing and laying off more balls in the mid field.
wasn't it his aggressiveness that opened it up for everyone else?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-23-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
That certainly helped, but he lost it too much in the midfield.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
WOW Italy out of the world cup. Defending champs out of the tournament.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-24-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
Not surprised. They brought a squad of Dinosaurs. Cannavaro is like 36, for god sakes. Glad to see Di Natale, and I feel that a few good selections were made, but Balotelli should of not only been on the original 30, but the final 23.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-26-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Ricardo Clark = GARBAGE. Why is this guy starting?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-26-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
Gotta say 15 min in ,Ghana are looking good. Really good.Us are not in this yet.This slow goal conceding start continues?
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-26-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
There is a god, EDU is back.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-26-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
What is Bob Bradleys deal. Why won't he play Buddle. He would have put in that ball Finley couldn't finish.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-26-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
welp, some work to be done at half.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-26-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Again, we have moved away the 4-4-2 and we look so much better.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-26-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
Keep up the 2nd half intensity in the extra period. Why do they come out so flat game after game?
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-26-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
Finally in the second half the Midfielders were moving. The first half everyone was standing still waiting for the ball. Lets do this in overtime.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-26-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Start extra time like they start every game. Sloppy defending and concede an early goal.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-26-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
More flat playing. Finally costs them. The defense was horrible on the goal in the extra period. Terrible move by Bradley for starting Clark.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-26-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
still proud of team usa! brasil in 4 years...who's with me?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-26-2010, 5:09 PM Reply   
poorly played game. bradleys refusal to play buddle cost them this game. not sure what his issue is with buddle, but no reason you should leave your most confident striker on the bench in a do or die game. agreed with bizz about findleys not finishing that chance. that was the finishing skills of a person lacking confidence. buddle puts that one away.
proud and embarrased at the same time. this squad could easily be in the semi's this year.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-26-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
not to disrespect anyone here as i've stated earlier that i'm nowhere near a soccer expert, but you guys keep saying buddle this and buddle that, but fact is, it was the defense that gave up the goals to ghana. had their defense been better, it might have been a different outcome, right?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-26-2010, 11:11 PM Reply   
the point is to score more than the other team. the US team did not get one goal from a striker in this tourney. all of their goals came from midfielders. seeing the ball leave your foot, and hitting the back of the net builds confidence. knowing that, Buddle had the most confidence of any striker on the team, and should have been seeing more playing time. bradley was so worried about trying to remake the altidore/davies combo with findlay, that I think he forgot about how well buddle had been finishing.
the defense sucked, and EVERYONE knew that coming into the tournament.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-27-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
So,maybe now the overpaid,over hyped English players will finally realize that they are not world class. Unlucky with the disallowed goal but that should not detract from the fact that they were outplayed,out thought, and just completely outclassed. As Steve Macmanaman said,maybe the whole of English football needs to be overhauled. The massive influx of foreign players into the Premier League leads to a false perception of the quality of English football. Had Ballack been playing and controlling the midfield it would have been 6. Maybe more.

And if US football is to reach a level that it can, they need a new coach. Bradleys team selections were bizarre at times. Having to substitute a non injured player after barely 30 minutes,in a game that goes to extra time, is disastrous. A player that should never have started in the first place,gets dispossed in midfield,gives away the goal and then 5 minutes later gets booked. Then another halftime substitution leaving you with one more available sub in a game that ultimately has another 75 minutes to go???.Schoolboy stuff. And constantly conceding an early goal shows a lack of mental preparation. You cannot keep making the same mistake over and over and expect to be competitive at the highest level.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-27-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
^^^
agreed. I was watching the game with about 15 other people, and not a one of us could figure out why ricardo clark was starting. don't forget that the first touch on the ball for the US team was poor at best. ghana outclassed them by a long shot.
I think what you are saying about premier league having an influx of foreign talent, is similar to what MLB has now. while the US might be one of the best baseball nations, it is not clearly head and shoulders above the rest.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
Was proud of everything, outside of the fact it seemed NO ONE wanted to step and take initiative and attack towards the end, especially when it's minutes left in extra time.

Worst part is now all the negative editorials and public soccer bashing will begin from the US sports media. They jump on the train while it lasts, then jump off and shoot bullets at it every 4 years
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-27-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Was proud of everything, outside of the fact it seemed NO ONE wanted to step and take initiative and attack towards the end, especially when it's minutes left in extra time.
i think they were just exhausted.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
No excuse, there's plenty of players that would gladly run their tail off for triple that time for the opportunity.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
damn brasil is good.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-28-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Yup. Hate the lack of creative and beautiful play with Dunga as coach, but I must say, they are efficient. I wonder what Manchester City are thinking while watching the guy that struggled with them light up the world cup after such a successful loan to Santos. Robinho's finish was class, and Juan's was good too.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-29-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
GO PARAGUAY.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wor...y-triumph.html
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-02-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Fantastic game for the Dutch! They stuck it out and played a great second half! I'll be rooting for them from now on. Their keeper's save on Kaka was incredible!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-02-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
what an ending to the uruguay-ghana match!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2010, 11:58 PM Reply   
Big heavy - I LOVE watching the dutch play, fast and exciting, and both of their wingers can dribble it in and fire shots from long range, They have one of the best mid fields in the game.

I've been watching Everything from the MLS to Champions League and Euro since 2006, and have NEVER seen such drama in a match as I have today. Wow, what a great finish. It was like a Rollercoaster. Suarez is a hero in so many ways. But man, what class to miss the penalty, and then step up 3 minutes later and bury the next one like you couldn't miss. I've had PK's saved or missed in Pick up and high school matches and felt awful, what mental strength by Gyan, that's incredible.

You saw Wesley Sjneider today for the Netherlands, their other winger Robben is better IMO; just stunning.

Last edited by dlwsrider; 07-03-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old     (erawxela)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-03-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
US performed well they made it far and had a good chance with Ghana...... good work usa
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-03-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
glad to see the dutch avenge the losses from world cups past finally. I have been rooting them on since the Gullit Van Bastien days. always fun to watch. the last remaining team for me family wise is spain, so I am rooting them on from here on out. although paraguay does put up a good argument. ^^^^^^
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Germany...... Wow
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-03-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
I can't believe both Brazil and Argentina eliminated in the quarters.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-03-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
i, too, can't believe brasil is out but not really surprised that argentina is out. germany's pretty damn strong.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-03-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
I said earlier,Germany always put up a good show at the WC.I never expected this though because they are such a young side. Fast,innovative,hard working and very well structured at the back. .Clever,meticulous coach who works out their opposition perfectly.Thrashed England and now destroyed Argentina. Hard to see anybody stopping them. Maybe Spain?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-03-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
the 2nd half of the spain-paraguay game was crazy! a penalty kick for each team - both stopped by the goalies! how sick was that?!?! then david villa's goal at the 83rd minute...that had to have broken paraguay's spirits. heck of a game! spain-germany is going to be insane!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-03-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
germany looks unstoppable. they have the skilled players to finish up top, and the defensive strength at the back. and to think their would be starting GK killed himself last summer. amazing run they are on right now.
netherlands v. germany for the final is my guess.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
Yeah probably. Three really good sides - Spain,Germany,Netherlands,all with world class players. The Germans just seem really organized at the back. They are patient as well. They suck you in and then break with bewildering speed (ask England). I know it sounds simplistic but it is imperative not to fall behind early to them. It means you are chasing the game,forced to commit players forward and then they hit you so fast on the break.

I would LOOOVE to see the Dutch win it. They have come so close before. They have the players to do it as well. Sneijder,Van Persie,Robben.... Sneijder is a real class act. Every wc winning team always has a midfield genius.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
the dutch leads 1-0 on a sick goal!

on another note, doesn't ian darke's announcing make the game more enjoyable? so awesome! haha!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-06-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
What beautiful goals. Van Bronckhorsts' was the best, but Seriously, all of them were pretty. Especially Robben's Header, I loved that aim. For those of you that don't play, having to reach back for the ball and still drilling it in off the post is astounding.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
yeah, all the goals were sick!!! the end was really exciting! i was sort of hoping uruguay would tie it up!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2010, 2:08 PM Reply   
They deserved to lose. Rules or not, and I know every Professional (maybe most U17) would have hand balled similarly, but that was just wrong.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
sure, they deserved to lose today...'cause they were outplayed by netherlands, not because of a hand-ball from a previous game.

re: that hand-ball, i agree with you that it's just wrong, but he was penalized for it (red card) and ghana was given a chance to win it outright...but blew it on the penalty kick.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
Glad Uruguay are out. If they had shown a bit of sheepish humility after the Ghana game I would have given them more respect. And so would a lot of other people. Instead their amazing run has been overshadowed by hailing Suarez as a national hero, him blabbering on about it being the "true hand of God" and their management reacting with absolute fury every time one of the press dared to mention it. Lucky for him he wasn't on the goaline trying to palm out Van Bronckhorsts thunderbolt. Would have probably torn his arms off.
My goal of the tournament so far.

And Forlan - probably Alex Fergusons worst purchase at Man U (along with Veron) and then he has a tournament like this. One of the MVP's of the tournament.

Joe - Ian Darke is a boxing commentator as well. A good one.

Tomorrows game is going to be one of the tournament highlights (hopefully)
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
Fifa need to (they won't) introduce penalty goals. If the goal is a dead cert,and the Ghana one was, they should award a penalty goal. They award penalty tries in rugby if they are certain a try is going to be scored and a player commits a foul in order to prevent it.

Ghana had got the job done right at the death and they were cheated out of certain victory. A penalty is not a sure thing. It should be but with all that pressure etc, etc, it isn't.
I understand exactly what the rules are but the rules need to be changed. Sepp Blatter at Fifa is the problem. Inflexible and intolerant. Will he ever leave??
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-06-2010, 9:22 PM Reply   
"My goal of the tournament so far."

easily. there is nothing prettier in soccer than seeing a goal like that. that goal was the definition of world class.

as far as suarez goes. he was penalized appropriately. the fact that anyone talks about it being a hand of god or whatever is just stupid though. it is cheating, and he was penalized for it. Ghana just did not step up and finish it. would anyone even be talking about it, if that happened in the first 10 minutes of the game?
I like that soccer does not go crazy with too many changes. I think the only thing they need to change, is put two extra ref's behind the goals for major tourneys. they have done that in some euro tourneys and it has proven to be successful. I like the fact that you can spend about 100 minutes, including halftime to watch a game. american football is too long, baseball (as much as I love it, is waaaay too long).
and Sepp Blatter does need to go. he is going on like his 4th 4 year term already.

Forlan has been an absolute hero for Uruguay. one of my good friends is from Uruguay and was telling me prior to the tourney that Forlan was going to win the golden boot award. did not happen, but he scored some of the best goals of the tourney.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
do you guys think fifa should adopt the instant replay? i'm kind of 50/50 on it, but if they do adopt it, if you think other sports are long, soccer will then be right up there.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-06-2010, 10:38 PM Reply   
absolutely not.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2010, 12:00 AM Reply   
"And Forlan - probably Alex Fergusons worst purchase at Man U (along with Veron) and then he has a tournament like this. One of the MVP's of the tournament."

Come on, give the Berba another year and he will EASILY replace Forlan on that list

Definitely no on instant replay. Never. EVER. I'm okay with goal line technology, such as a chip in the ball to show instantly when it has passed the goal line, or an extra ref, but the beauty of soccer is that there is ALWAYS the danger of a counter attack, and that the clock doesn't stop unless it's an emergency (Only time coming to mind was the MLS final last year when the stadium lights went out for an hour and a half). Instant replay would stop play. Especially for offsides calls. It sucks, but ref's still get it wrong with replay in other sports. Just let it be, and go with something instant, such as the chip or goal line ref.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2010, 12:09 AM Reply   
good call on the chip, and yeah, i do agree they need more officials on the field. and points taken on instant replay.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-07-2010, 5:38 AM Reply   
The goals in this game are all just soooo pretty -- but the first one, WOW.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-07-2010, 5:46 AM Reply   
"if you think other sports are long, soccer will then be right up there. "

Soccer is pretty set on staying "original".... you really don't see a lot of change since the old days... I just don't think they would ever send the head ref off to check a call.... the pace of the game would be destroyed.

The only way I see it happening is if there is another ref who is watching in a booth, and basically seeing the TV version who has radio contact, any call that is questionable they can refer to him who would adjust the call on the field if need be..... but still unlikely to me
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
They need a guy on the goal line and that's it. His only job is to see if the whole ball has crossed the line. You don't want calls being referred and tv monitors being used. It ends up as an interminable stop start affair,losing continuity and pi$$ing off the fans. The offside calls by the linesman should be left as is. Always a huge outcry when they get it wrong but they probably get 95% of the calls right.
I don't want to see a goal scored then the ref being summoned by the linesman,a private conversation then it being overruled and everybody being called back.Unless the linesman had his flag up before the goal being scored and the ref never saw it. But they are in radio contact so that shouldn't happen anyway.I don't like the chip idea in the goalmouth either. The players want to see an official making the call. Guy on the line,like they do in the European cup.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Agreed with Chris there.

Kommt auf Deutschland! Schweini is going to wreck Spain's world.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
Man,can't believe how upset I am. Really wanted Germany in the final. Spain are a good side. Holland are going to have their hands full.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-07-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
That game was a lot more of a blowout than 1-0, Germany was on their heels every time I looked up
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-07-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
hard to believe the US beat that same Spain side last year.
glad to see spain go to the finals. they are definitely the best team in the world right now. the final should be a great, great game. I can't wait till sunday!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-07-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Spain looked unbelievable! The score definitely did not reflect the skill difference in that game. Spain had full control. Good to see them going forward and good to see that we'll have a brand new World Cup winner this year!!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-07-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
Espana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
Imagine this happening today. Wasn't even given as a foul.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGq7VcaHoqo
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
Damn!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
He damn near killed him. In fact Platini said afterward that he thought Battistan had died when he slipped into a coma (on the field) Three teeth knocked out,damaged vertebrae...... etc,etc,Battistan had come on as a second half sub and had only been on the field for about 10 minutes. Kinda puts the mistaken offside flag into perspective. If that had happened today Schumaker would almost certainly have been charged with assault. Probably banned for life as well.

If it wasn't so horrific the reaction of the commentators and the ref would have been quite funny. The enormity of it seemed to sail completely over the refs head,even after the incident when the man lay practically dying on the ground. And the commentator "it certainly seemed like a wild jump" Really?? So British,
Lol
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-07-2010, 9:45 PM Reply   
I remember that from some highlight tapes I had on VHS back in the late 80's. that was awful.
check out some of the Roy Keane tackles on youtube as well. that was one dirty bastard. watching him and vinnie jones play were entertaining to say the least.