Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-27-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
I launched from Elkhorn by the Sac airport on Sunday. We must have been 5 minutes from done for the day when I got popped by the sheriffs for throwing a wake too close to the docks on the river. Driving the same lines we always do in the spot we always ride (and same as many of you I'm sure). We were south of Elkhorn at that s-curve where the water is always flat on a windy day riding right in the middle. Sherrif said the only way to ride through there legally is to hug the far shore where all the logs and other debris are. They also pointed out that there was plenty of water in the wider sections just north and south of that spot (never mind that they were completely blown out). I thought I'd post this up as a warning to you guys to watch out, as I have ridden with many other people driving the same line I was, and have seen plenty others doing the same as well.

Of course my fearless spotter didn't tell me the sheriff boat was following us until she said, "Why do they have those blue lights on?" ...thanks sweetie.
Old    murrayair            10-27-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   

quote:

"Why do they have those blue lights on?" ...thanks sweetie.

LOL! I've been there, too. SO's don't always make the best spotters.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-28-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
Do they actually post these rules somewhere? Are there buoys? This isn't the first time I've heard of the unwritten rules like this on the river.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       10-28-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
It is a written rule. Just one that may not be enforced all of the time.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-28-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
Definitely not an unwritten rule, I think its even state law. You must be 200 feet from docks. The problem is that this particular spot is a bit narrow and there is a lot of debris near the opposite shore, so people generally stay to the middle. But the middle puts you inside the 200 feet.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-28-2009, 10:17 PM Reply   
Lou were you on the East to west straight away? I don't think the debris is too bad right there?
I think it gets bad right around the corner heading south?
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       10-28-2009, 10:19 PM Reply   
i got stopped by the sheriffs in that same spot too a couple months ago, he told me, "...cannot go more than 5mph within 200 feet of an occupied dock". he told me the same thing about riding along the opposite shore. luckily i got a verbal warning and a free "I wore my life vest" t-shirt for my son!
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-29-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
my buddy has a house boat out of verona and he said that there is alot people not following the 200ft rule and he has a good amount of damage from boat traffic

(Message edited by 2007_x-2 on October 29, 2009)
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-30-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I try and stay as far away from the docks as I can usually. The other day we were out and this big azz boat rolled by that area throwing monster wakes ! It made the launch ramp docks look like a slinky they were being thrown around so much. I had to position my boat just right and gun it to make it over his wake, I saw a centurion submarine through it!

I guess we just have to be more careful about staying away from the docks !