Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-15-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
Who here actually likes these things? Seems that all they do if they aren't used the right way every time (which is hard to do if the lake is choppy, it's windy, or for some reason I'm not the one loading the boat on the trailer) they just put a nice little grey scratch on the gel coat. I've bout had it with it. Has anyone taken their's off and regretted doing so?
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-15-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
I love mine but my boat sits in a lift all year so I only use it twice or so a year
Old    pdxWAKE.com            06-15-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
If you know how to use it, it is the best thing since sliced bread. If you don't know how to use it you will hate it.
The most important thing is do not back your trailer in too deep. Don't be scared to drive on the bunks and you will hit it perfectly each time.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
Loved it on my MC. And have considered installing one on my Malibu's Extreme trailer. If you are allowed to power load their great. If you have to winch load (like I do mostly now days) then they serve no purpose.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-15-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
I love mine and would regret getting rid of it. I put 3-4 coats of wax on the front of my boat to stop the gray marks.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-15-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
I would never have a boat trailer without one.

Use it every week.

Tow vehicle driver never has to get out of vehicle, makes quick work of getting the boat loaded and out of the way of others who are waiting.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-15-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
I always have loved mine and wondered what
everyone's problem was ... until the last 2 times
at the lake.

The lake is much more full now, and all I can figure is that this has dramatically changed the angle at which the boat hits the buddy - these
past 2 loads, it sucked.

Every time before that (probably 50 or more) - it
was a breeze, and I didnt' have to get wet
winching the boat.

Now I am not so sold on it - I would prefer the lake
at this level, so ...
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-15-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
I think the big issue with the boat buddy is that the trailer needs to be set up to lift and center your boat regardless of ramp angle. The MC's my family has had have always worked flawlessly with the boat buddy but again i attribute that to the trailer. All MC's have V blocks to lift and bow of the boat right into position. I have seen other boats that have the boat buddy but don't have the same v blocks and i can see where that might cause problems.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
I carpeted the Boat Buddy to prevent the gray marks. I can't take credit for the idea but it works great.

Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-15-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
They are nice, but not too durable. I have bent two of them, but they are still nice to have. I would never trust it without the winch strap to hold the boat when you pull out of the water. I barely trust the winch strap for that matter, so it's nice to have the redundancy.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
love the carpet idea. I'm still trying to figure mine out. I really like the idea, but I haven't had much luck using it yet. First couple of times out I couldn't get the pin to lock no matter how hard I drove the boat in. so I lubed it up and the last time I went out it fired too early. Great concept though. It sounds to me what Diggs said is true...once I learn how to use it right it should be invaluable.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
You shouldn't even trust the winch. I've had two of them implode over the years.

My Extreme trailer has a safety cable I hook to the bow ring before I go more than like 20 mph. I setup a bow chain on my old MC trailer for just he same reason.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-15-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
The key to using the BB is you must have your trailer at such an angle that the bow will not go under the BB. If your bow is going under the BB your trailer is backed in too deep.

A trick I learned from the good people here at Wake World is to first submerge all of the bunks on the trailer and then pull the trailer out to where I want it. Wet bunks make all the difference in your boat being able to power all the way up to engage the BB.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-15-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
Replace the stock eye bolt with a longer one, it will activate the pin easier so you don't have to worry too much about the ramp steepness.

(Message edited by kvoman on June 15, 2009)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-15-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
I love mine its so fast and easy we can be on the trailer and pulling up the ramp in no more than a minute. I have my trailer fully dipped to wet the bunks then pulled back out to where about half the wells are in water. When you are driving the boat on you still need to steer to direct the eyelet into the mechanism. I taught my wife to do it on her first try and a buddy too. Jeremy, make sure you are putting it in the set position because there is that and a locked open position.

The gray marks come off real easy with some light rubbing of a Magic Eraser.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-15-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
The pin on mine wants to fall out when I put it in locked open position.

Hate how do you tell that it is in set position is there a trick?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-15-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
If you look at the side there is a little diagram that shows it but if its forward toward the tow rig I believe that its SET. Also if you look at the housing for the pin the two open positions have a totally different notches in them the SET is the less aggressive of the two.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
yeah, I learned the locked position and set position on my first outting. still not working just right, but I bet the wet bunks will help. good idea.
Old     (aqualung)      Join Date: May 2009       06-16-2009, 5:56 AM Reply   
Wet bunks sound great (def gonna try that).

I have a 97' MC trailer but the BB pin is a little rusted and ALWAYS gets stuck. Can you replace the pins? If so, where?

Hey "right kind", I can't stand the grey marks either, any pointers on installing carpet??
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-16-2009, 6:11 AM Reply   
Yeah I think I wanna try the carpet idea before taking it off completely. I need to recarpet my bunks as well so it would be a good time to do it all.
Old     (gotsumgas)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-17-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
I armor all my grey plastic. never leaves a mark on the boat. boat buddy is the best thing that ever happend to boat trailers
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
WakeMikey, I looked today and set is pull in and towards the boat. I will tell you guys these are not super durable. I'm on my second one the first got the piss beat out of it pulling the boat on a lil tippsy (I just pulled it on the trailer and don't condone BUI'ing) and bent it. So check to make sure the pin is still lined up with the catch. I've used WD-40 to keep it lubed.

Thats smart John I'll try that but again getting the gray marks off is simple.