Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-01-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
The time has come to get a video camera to mount on the tower. been interested in gopros for years now but never took the chance with no zoom on them. they would probably be good if i wanted to mount it on the board but im thinking tower. we ride at 65' so probably need zoom but don't know. recommendations please.

also i found a camera mount for the tower for $24.95: http://caddiebuddy.com/wakeboard-tower-roll-bar-1/
Old     (Jibbo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-06-2013, 8:47 PM Reply   
Here's a great camera mount for your GoPro to attach to your tower
It's called Wakeye WTG http://www.wakeye.com/collections/wa...cts/wakeye-wtg
It has some great features and so easy to install and remove

Last edited by Jibbo; 07-06-2013 at 8:49 PM.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-08-2013, 5:50 PM Reply   
im not spending 285 for a mount. i need a camera to video from the boat.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-08-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
I wouldn't waste time or money mounting a gopro to the tower. They are cool little camera but the wide angle makes it look like its a mile from the action when you shoot from the boat. They work much better close up. I'd get something different for the tower for sure.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-09-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
Kyle: The earlier GoPro models only shot in very wide angle views (170 degrees). With those models, you could mount them in a fixed position on a tower, and shoot a wakeboarder going from side to side without moving the camera. Problem is, the wakeboarder would look very small and distant in the frame, so the videos were not very good.

The newer GoPros have some settings that shoot in a narrower field of view. This makes the wakeboarder look bigger, but it also means that if you mount the camera in a fixed position, the wakeboarder is likely going to go out of the frame on one or both sides if you mount the camera in a fixed position on the tower. Still no zoom. Keep in mind that if you get anything with zoom, the more you zoom in, the more you will need to have the camera track the rider, rather than staying fixed.

The GoPro is a great camera when it is being carried as PART of the action. Shooting action from far away is not its specialty.

The other option is to get a more expensive tracking mount, and a less expensive camera. Decent waterproof pocket camcorders can be had for around $100, and most of the mounts (WakeJak, Wakeye, and Trakker are around $250).