Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-21-2009, 5:52 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any suggestions for taking an infant out on a boat? We have a 4 month old. She has been out once and did ok, but it was only for an hour or less. Any suggestions on how to pull of a half day or even full day trip? I can keep her in the shade but I am worried about the heat. we are only talking low 80s this weekend but I would imagine that can be hot for a baby.
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-21-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
I was opening this thinking it was going to be a knockoff of the song "I'm on a boat."
Silly me..
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-21-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
We had our kids out since they were a few weeks old. Something we did in very hot weather was bring a bucket and use it as a pool for cooling them off.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
We never had a problem with our youngest, we started taking her out when she was two weeks old, granted it was the end of December and we had her bundled up in a car seat and she would be asleep almost most the time especially when the engine was running. when it started getting warm out we would play with her in the water to keep her comfortable and she seemed to have a great time with it. I had her holding on to a handle while kneeling on a kneeboard by the time she was 7 mo. old I would run up and down the sandy shore and she would skim in very shallow water. Keep some sort of sunblock on him/her for infants and make sure sure he or she is hydrated.
Fun times ahead.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
We do the small pool and a handheld mister fan. We also had a 12v fan hooked up that could blow on her while we were sitting. This seemed to work well for the boat and other outdoors stuff. The mister fan was the big part of it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
Great idea Linda!
Old     (rcombs)      Join Date: May 2009       05-21-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Oh wow! This is all great info as my boy Caden Marek (where u think I got Marek from) is 1 week old today and I'm intchin to get him out there. I have a 21ft v drive with a bimini and as long as I don't hit double ups I think it should be fine. I have an infant neo but figured he'd be in a car seat for a month or two. My wife's OB thought otherwise though which I think is BS. Thanks again!
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-21-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
These are some solid ideas I like the bucket and fan things. We hace a nice neo life jacket we got from target. It wraps her up good almost like she is swaddled. I plan on keeping her out of the car seat, that thing would sink like a rock if she went overboard somehow.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
I have used the bouncy seats when having infants on the boat. You don't have to strap them in either.
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       05-21-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
Make sure to take it easy on the waves. I'm no doctor but I think their developing brains are still pretty mushy and can't handle all the bouncing very well.
Old     (rcombs)      Join Date: May 2009       05-21-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
Good call MidWestTex on the call seat. Someone once told me they're safest in the seat for the first weeks and that car seats float. I'v never experimented and certainly wouldn't want to throw nice car seat in a dirty lake just to see what happens. I'll just stick with the infant neo jacket!
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-21-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
We have had our boy out since he was five or six weeks old. at first we would keep him in the car seat and would only go out for a couple hours. As he got use to the boat he would sleep the whole time. About three months, we put a bunch of towels under the steering wheel by the kick-plate to support his head and keep him secure - he really liked that spot. When it was warm we would put him under there with some damp towels.

He is now one and loves the boat - although he is not crazy about the water.

(Message edited by elc on May 21, 2009)
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-21-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
How on earth are you guys fitting your child in a car seat with a life vest on? The vest we had was huge and never would have worked inside a car seat.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
You don't. Just keep the child out of sight from the law.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-21-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
As much as the life vest looks uncomfortable.. I can't imagine not having my son in one.

I also can't imagine not using a car seat or seat belts. I'm a rule follower, apparently.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-22-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
I am sort of in the same boat... My daughter is now 7 months old. I have been practicing with her wearing the life jacket since she was just a few weeks old and she has done just fine. But the jacket I had seemed to be too large around her face and cover her mouth. Then I went to Walmart and found this Stearns jacket that was only $20 and has a larger opening around her face and seems to be more comfortable for her
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

They come in pink, bbaby blue, and yellow

Keith, where did you get the 12V fan, I have been looking for one.

We have only been out on the boat 2 days as we have had family stuff that has kept us away, but she did good on both outings about 2 hours the 1st day and 3-4 hours the second. We are worried about the heat, and we have to find a 3rd adult to go now to assist with the baby when we are riding....
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
I think we found it at Bed Bath and Beyond or one of those type places. I can not remember if they have any at camping places or not. We also found some powered by 4 D batteries that worked great. The had flat recatangular bottoms so you could set them on the dash when just sitting still.

And that vest in Billy's photo is the bomb. We have a nice HO vest for my daughter, but this stearns vest fits way better and does not swallor her.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-22-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
here is my daughters barefoot suit. she's only 14 months old so it will be a bit till she fits in it. im not too sure about the barefooting anytime soon, but it seems like a nice suit too wear around the dock .

Upload
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-26-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
We put both of ours in car seats but did not belt them in. I thought belting them in would be a bad idea. It never occured to me that a car seat might float. Do they?

The boy is 18 months now so I don't think he is going to need the seat anymore. My girl is skiing now. I hope to get her on a board this season.

Upload

Upload
Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-28-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
I've had both of our kids on the boths since birth. What I can suggest is watch the temperature in the life vest. It can heat up something fierce.. Put your hand on his/her stomach every now and then to check his/her temp. Use a little water to cool down and be consistant on checking... Drink only Water. Remember that most childrens cordination doesnt start to develop until age 4..So take it slow..
My oldest, Jolie 3.8 years old loves boating and sits and watches each boarder ride. Then on the pick up she'll say "are you alright?" Its pretty cool..
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-29-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
on the 12v fan, I found one at Academy sports. It was in the car section near all the boating supplies. It has a clip (we put on the windshield support) and 12 v plug.