Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-07-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
Can anyone point me to a decent site where I can get tips for someone just starting out (or give some here )? I picked up a cheap skate when it was on boardersbestbuy a few weeks ago and got to try it for the first time on Saturday.

I was very pleasantly surprised to get up on my first try, but after that, the board just felt really squirrelly under my feet. I'm thinking maybe I had my feet positioned wrong, or didn't have my weight balanced right, or something really basic like that. And I couldn't for the life of me get the board to edge, I just didn't seem to have any leverage. Feels a lot more different from wakeboarding than I expected.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-08-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
Odds are you aren't edging properly. Are you riding the board finless? You likely are trying to turn with the fins like you have been doing on the board, but without fins and the technique that you're using to edge will make the board feel like you're riding a spoon.

Just keep at it, it's a lot easier to watch a few vids and see where people place their feet (usually 2-3 inches off the tail, and your front foot is 3/4 up the board) as opposed to everyone telling you what to do.

Just have fun with it, you'll get it.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
like sinko said you are probaly trying to steer the board with the fin which is a common beginner mistake. also you are probably riding the board with a wakeboard stance. ride it like you ride a skate board. get your back foot all the way on the tail maybe leave a 1-2" gap from the very edge if you want and get your front foot right before the nose starts coming up. make sure you are riding with your knees bent and with your weight center over the board.

just keep at it youll figure it out.

"Feels a lot more different from wakeboarding than I expected"
remember this is wakeskating, not wakeboarding
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-08-2008, 6:51 PM Reply   
thanks guys, looking forward to giving it another go this weekend.
Old     (devon591)      Join Date: May 2007       04-09-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeskating.com
you can get tons of info there
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-14-2008, 9:41 PM Reply   
Got to go out again on Sunday. What a difference a week makes! I already felt much more stable. I was able to do fs surface 180s regular and switch, get across the wakes in either direction, and even some decent air over the wake hs. Didn't clear the wake, but came closer than I expected. I just picked up the skate for something else to do if I wanted a change from wakeboarding, but I'm really liking this.

Thanks again for the tips.