Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-25-2018, 2:35 PM Reply   
This SUV has been towing our 2005 23LSV with no problems on our flat Texas roads for the past several years. As we've been thinking about a boat upgrade, it has me concerned about the ability of this vehicle to tow these heavier new boats. We mostly tow less than 5 miles to the local ramp but will do a couple of 3-4 hour trips each year as well...mostly on flat-ish roads.

So what are your thoughts around towing a new 2018/2019 Malibu 23LSV with this vehicle? I believe the Expedition it is rated at a max of 6,000 pounds, and the new LSV dry is 5K. Then you add a full tank of gas and you're already up to 5,400 plus gear which seems to be pushing it's limits.

Time for a truck or think this SUV can get it done for what are mostly shorter trips?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-26-2018, 5:36 AM Reply   
I you wanted to go newer and gas I would look at a Cadillac Escalade or Yukon Denali. They both come standard with a 6.2 V8 with 403 hp from 2007 to 2014. I pull a 24V Supra an 1 hour each way with a 2008 Sierra Denali and it does great even with a golf cart in the bed. I believe the Escalade has air ride in the rear to help level out the load but I'm not sure about that. The 2012 Escalade is rated for 8,300 pounds.

And if you get a 2015 or newer you get even more power at 420 HP and 470 tq.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-26-2018, 6:32 AM Reply   
Don't forget to add your trailer weight as well. So say another 2k for the trailer and you are at 7,400 pounds.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-26-2018, 8:48 AM Reply   
A 2012 is rated for 9,200lbs. Is yours an Ecoboost or 5.0? Ecoboost gets a little thirsty when towing but it would perform really well. My 14 F150 EB pulls my boat around no problem and I live in BC where we have nothing but hills. The real issue becomes stopping power not really pulling power. If you were concerned enough you could look at upgrading the trailer to electric over hydraulic which I believe is also an option on some of the newer trailers.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-26-2018, 12:23 PM Reply   
current setup is pushing the envelope on those longer hauls IMO. a bigger boat would make things pretty sketchy. I pulled my 23' for a season behind a 6500 lb rated rig. It worked, but it wasn't the right rig for the job. and I definitely wasn't gonna hit up the interstate doing 80.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-30-2018, 10:57 AM Reply   
the 2015 to current Expedition come standard with the ecoboost as the only engine option. 15-17 with the max tow package are rated at 9200 lbs, 2018 is rated at 9300. If you can find one with the optional 3.73 rear end I imagine it would tow very well. We have a 2015 standard wheel base and tow our Moomba Mojo all over in it, went from Houston to Table Rock and back last year and just made a trip from Houston to Hot Springs, AR and back. Both of these trips are with 5 adults and a toddler. Boat loaded with normal gear is 6900 lbs, on our road trips however we had all of our luggage in it as well since there is no cargo space with the 3rd row seating up in the SWB expeditions so it had to be around 7100 i would guess.