Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-26-2017, 12:56 PM Reply   
In my 20+ years of boating I've never fortunately had to deal with mold . I've always stored my boat indoors and on the occasion when they've gotten wet I dried them out really well and mold has never showed its ugly head. However I brought my pontoon boat in for some service and the dealer had no room indoors. The boat ended up staying longer than anticipated and we've been having huge amounts of rain here in California. And my boat had become saturated. ( even with the cover on and the poles up) the center toon mush have had 15 gallons of water in it as well as the Bildge. With all this water In the boat think a Greenhouse/ wet damp environment was in created and then when the sun came out now All of my interior has a slight haze of (black) mold as well as some large patches in spots. It wipes of or go's away with a good wipe light scrub. I did a "quick wipe down" of the entire interior ( that takes 2 hrs if you call that quick ) but it still needs more. I covered the boat back up, and put 2 large fans inside and set them to Hi to move some air throughout the interior. I was planning on attacking this weekend the sun is supposed to be out all week and I can expose the interior to the sun and get after it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as a product or technique that I should use to kill mold. I am a complete rookie in this department. I have heard rumors of a steamer that works for killing hidden mold spores.

Please don't recommend me bringing it back to the dealer and having them fix it because that is not an option, these guys are obviously knuckleheads and once again, A dealer has proven my point that when you bring your boat in for service to get one thing fixed you pick it up having to only fix more things that the dealer caused,
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-26-2017, 2:14 PM Reply   
The best mold product I have come across is Concrobium Mold Control
It kills and helps remove it, in addition to keeping it away in the future. To get rid of it you can spray this stuff on. Let it sit for 24 hours and spray it again. Wipe it while it is still wet the second time you spray the surface. I've also found that a couple companies make an electric brush, very much like an electric tooth brush, that can get at tight areas and seams.

The only real solutions are getting humidity down like you are trying with the fans. There are moisture absorbing packets that work okay and are available at many RV dealers. Of course, a tray of kitty litter will also absorb a lot of moisture from the air.

Good luck. Mold it a pain.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-26-2017, 2:30 PM Reply   
Here is the Concrobium link.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-26-2017, 2:35 PM Reply   
Dura Gloss Mildew Buster 541. I like to rinse the vinyl real well with water, once done.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-27-2017, 6:05 AM Reply   
I bought this stuff last year. I had an old cover that let way to much water through and I got a lot of water in my bilge to since my supra dips really low in the center of the hull and doesn't have a plug there.

I tried all the 303 stuff and LA totally awesome (or what ever it is that you get at dollar general). Nothing touched the mold.

Star brite worked so good that I sprayed three area's on my boat. Around the tower legs and the back sunpad.

By the time I walked back to the first spot around one of the tower legs. 90% of the mold was gone, with out me touching it. I have no mold anywhere now and it only took a few minutes to get the whole boat with just a brush.

This is after I spent hours trying to scrub my vinyl with other stuff

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...-22-oz&i=28218
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-27-2017, 6:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
I bought this stuff last year. I had an old cover that let way to much water through and I got a lot of water in my bilge to since my supra dips really low in the center of the hull and doesn't have a plug there.

I tried all the 303 stuff and LA totally awesome (or what ever it is that you get at dollar general). Nothing touched the mold.

Star brite worked so good that I sprayed three area's on my boat. Around the tower legs and the back sunpad.

By the time I walked back to the first spot around one of the tower legs. 90% of the mold was gone, with out me touching it. I have no mold anywhere now and it only took a few minutes to get the whole boat with just a brush.

This is after I spent hours trying to scrub my vinyl with other stuff

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...-22-oz&i=28218
+1 on this stuff
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-27-2017, 12:33 PM Reply   
This will sound harsh, but I have used it with great success on my previous boat for over 15 years without any problem so I know one time on yours should be OK. Wesley's Bleach White Tire Cleaner. Every spring my boat interior would be covered in mold and mildew. Wet the seat, spray on the Wesley's and brush vigorously. Rinse thoroughly. It always got my seats spotless. Of course you should spot test an area before blazing into it, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my current boat if the need arose.

Jman
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2017, 2:19 PM Reply   
I bought 2 bottles of starbright ( it was all they had at west marine) I will try it out tomarrow and let you know how it works
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-07-2017, 10:12 AM Reply   
Did you ever try it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-07-2017, 1:17 PM Reply   
Yes I used the Starbright. IMO it was a mixture of water and bleach for $14 a bottle. The wife is allergic to the smell of bleach. So I tryed it on a few cushions and it had about the same effect as Totally Awesome. So here is what I did. I used Totally Awesome to clean all the vinyl. Then once the vinyl was all clean and all the surface moldwas no longer viable I wiped everything down with the startbright. Then immediately I wiped it with a wet cloth as to neutralize it. Then once everything was clean and dry I can back and wiped everything with Boat Bling condition sauce. I left the boat uncovered for a week at the indoor storage and when I can back to cover it up the boat looked awesome nothing came back or looked bad. I could see a spot where I must have not neutralized it's starbright very well it Left a streak mark, whoops!!!! I'm so glad I went over everything with a wet rag! That starbright is caustic! Perhaps on straight white interior you would never notice streak marks but my interior is tan.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-07-2017, 1:30 PM Reply   
I thought I smelled like Bleach too. But it did the trick and I immediately conditioned my vinyl too.
Old     (2LakeWake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-22-2017, 7:41 PM Reply   
I always prevent and clean off the mold before it gets crazy. The only mold issue I have is where my cover rests on the edge of the back sun deck. I have mold there that seems to be wicking through from the back. Anyone found a solution for this?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-22-2017, 10:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LakeWake View Post
I always prevent and clean off the mold before it gets crazy. The only mold issue I have is where my cover rests on the edge of the back sun deck. I have mold there that seems to be wicking through from the back. Anyone found a solution for this?
I would first lay a towel down on your sun deck and then something plastic (like a tarp) over that and then put the cover on.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-23-2017, 5:37 AM Reply   
I had skiboatcovers.com add a fabric backing right where the cover hits the sun pad. This is the first winter with my new cover and it seems that it has worked. We have had a very wet winter and I don't have any mold.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       02-23-2017, 6:00 AM Reply   
I tried several mold removers from NAPA/Walmart. Nothing special. Had mixed results but always left the stain afterwards. Best solution I found to getting rid of the stain was to just leave it exposed to the sun.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-23-2017, 6:06 AM Reply   
I would try the stuff I posted. I had to do the same thing but that stuff really works.
Old     (minnmarker)      Join Date: Mar 2016       02-27-2017, 9:44 AM Reply   
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...fl-oz/47770103

Bleach works. You can pay a lot for a name brand fancy bottle of bleach but it's still bleach. Been battling mold on my toon for years. Bleach is the only thing that works. Just spray on and let sit for about 1 minute then wipe or scrub off and then rinse with plenty of water. Make sure you rinse or the bleach will damage the vinyl. When it dries put some 303 on it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2017, 9:56 AM Reply   
I have not tested or can speak to the truth about wasting money on expensive cleaners. In my opinion a $20 will do your whole boat, and it's not somthing that your going to or should not be having to use on the regular so if you have to break down and buy a $20 bottle in my opinion no big deal. I will agree 100% about neutralizing the bleach cleaner right after a min or so on the vinyl. I agree #1 bleach like cleaner, wait 1 min or so, #2 wet rag, #3 dry #4 condition.

My advice Keep a fan a good strong one in your boat. You might not be able to stop the water coming in but the moving air will slow down or even hault the growth of mold. I have a feeling a lot of Nor Cal people that keep their boats outside are going to have a Mold supprise come spring time. People go check out under the cover now you might be able to fend off a mold attack. It's supposed to get warm next week

Last edited by grant_west; 02-27-2017 at 9:58 AM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-27-2017, 9:26 PM Reply   
Hula Boat Care came out with this product very recently. John, owner of Hula, worked for 3M for years in their marine line before starting Hula Boat Care. I've religiously use their cleaner wax, sealant, and detailed spray the past 3 boats and I'm extremely happy with their products. They also released a spider deterant spray.
http://products.hulaboatcare.com/chi...-7e123ad4-8d11