Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-11-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
Looking for a new hitch mounted bike rack. Right now looking at the Thule 917XTR and both the Sherpa and NV from Kuat. Any recommendations? Looking to spend less than $600.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-11-2013, 6:32 PM Reply   
I went with the 1up and it has been SO much better than all the others I've worked with (including the Thule 917 which I had prior). Super solid. http://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html The modular design is great if you have a smaller partner who might want to ride on her own and mount just one bike. I have the Quik Rack and Quik Rack add-on.

some pics:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794288
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-15-2013, 5:36 PM Reply   
I have the NV and love it. I remove it after every use and it is easy to take it off and on. I really like the integrated bike stand. The integrated cable locks are a little short to effectively lock up 2 bikes. Beyond that, works like a champ and is a breeze to load bikes.

2012-12-31 12.45.04

2012-12-31 12.45.48

Last edited by dcdman67; 03-15-2013 at 5:39 PM.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
Dan, nice looking setup. That is what; I was looking for. I first heard of Kuat when I was riding with a friend in Springfield, MO as they are based out of there, but even here in STL it is hard to find many people with experience or any local shops that stock the product to look at. Seems like everyone points to Thule, but I just think the Kuat setup looks much better and stronger. I'm not sure I am going Envy or Sherpa from Kuat.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
I know you want a tow mounted hitch and I don't want to mbsport you but have you considered a roof mounted rack, my bro has a sea sucker and it is the best rack I have ever seen
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2013, 12:31 PM Reply   
I've thought about the roof mount, but I am scared my wife will either drive into the garage with them on top or scratch the car up trying to get the bike on the roof. The wheel cradle hitch racks seem the easiest for loading and seem to keep the bikes a little cleaner. I'd probably save some cash and just get the hanging hitch mount, but my Specialized doesn't sit well on these and it's ackward with the cables.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-20-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
I know you want a tow mounted hitch and I don't want to mbsport you but have you considered a roof mounted rack, my bro has a sea sucker and it is the best rack I have ever seen
I have a SeaSucker miniBomber and really like it. I have been a victim of bike on car with a roof mounted rack before, I did not want a hitch mounted rack, I did want a rack I could travel with and use across many cars.

Last summer we did a 1500 mile road trip with two bikes on the SeaSucker, never needed to put any more vacuum into any of the cups. We had them on the roof of my wife's van.

Couple of pics, the car pic was a loaner I had and drove to a 70.3 race, being able to use the rack on any car paid off that weekend for sure.
Attached Images

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
I finally saw these at my LBS the other day. They do look very cool. I didn't look at price but I'm assuming they are much more price friendly.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-20-2013, 2:06 PM Reply   
+1 for the 1Up USA rack. AMAZING and worth every penny.
Attached Images

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-29-2013, 9:40 PM Reply   
Went with the Kuat Sherpa. Just finished putting it together. Now I guess I'll have to get around to bolting the hitch on the Explorer this weekend.