Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-02-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Im considering getting rid of my commander... i've searched the forums and only found info on the 3.7L...

I used to tow my boat w/ a 3.0 V6 Escape, it did ok... but not great (class 2), i got the hemi jeep, it does wonderful, great job. but my payment is killing me and the 13mpg daily commute to work and travel is killing me.

now doing research and running numbers, i can get 2 year newer nitro then my jeep w/ lower miles for around $100 less/month payment and jump from 13-14mpg to more like 18-19mpg.

the 3.7 im uninterested in its 210hp and 235tq, where as the 4.0 jumps up to 265hp and 285tq (or somewhere around there) and has 3.73 gears.

i cant do the 2 car thing bad situation for that, i still have to test drive it to see if i even like it at all, i love my jeep, if it only got the same mpg i would keep it, im not asking for a 20mpg plus vehicle to tow with that just not real life.

i do most of my driving for trips, i do alot of bowling tournies where i travel and haul balls and stuff in the back, summer time i have a dock slip and i dont tow that far, probably less than 5miles per week.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-02-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
Buying a brand new vehicle to save money rarely works out in your favor. Also, the Nitro is only rated to 2000lbs unless you run a weight distribution hitch, at which they claim it will tow 5000lbs (good luck with that).
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-02-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
What's the difference in the length of the loan? How much does your boat weigh?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-02-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
I had a Nitro briefly. Hated it for more reasons that just the towing. Small door openings. Small windows. Too many blind spots. Cheap interior. They cut corners on EVERYTHING on it. No hood supports. Total rattle trap.

Towing sucked. The boat pushed it all over, even with trailer brakes. Only got about 14 or 15 mpg combined. And towing, the mileage was horrible.... like 8 or 9.

We also have a Pacifica. Completely different level of quality.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-02-2012, 4:21 PM Reply   
yeah im weighing my options. my boat weighs like 3400 dry i think.

like i said i've towed it with:

04 F150 5.4 V8 SuperCrew
94 Ranger 4.0L V6
06 F150 5.4 V8
08 Escape 3.0 V6
06 Jeep Commander Hemi 5.7

they all did fine, the escape sucked big balls on freeway speeds, but just getting it out of water and parking it did fine.

the only nitro i would be interested in getting is the R/T w/ the 4.0, all leather, bells & whistles etc.

i love my jeep, just sucks on trips around town for gas, i did the math on avg i should get from what i've heard 4-7mpg more w/ the nitro around town/freeway which will get me 400-500 miles more a month to save $60-$80/month in gas.

i've paid on my jeep for almost 2 years, i can get exactly what i owe on it and if i just role the whole new purchase price into a new loan i would be saving around $100/month.

so just in a car swap i should be saving myself $150-$200/month

doesnt sound like alot but thats a comcast/water bill, or what im paying now "free" gas every month.

i did the comparison on size diff, the nitro is right in between the escape (that i actually enjoyed, just under powered) 22.5mpg solid and was luxurious (had the limited).

but back to comparing size, the nitro's dimensions (wheel base, leg room, height) is not that much smaller than the commander.

and weight: Commader 5k lbs, Escape was like 3400lbs and the nitro is 4200lb ish....

i'm def gonna test one in person, im not sold on it by any means but on paper it looks good.
Old     (c5dagand)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-02-2012, 5:49 PM Reply   
My friend have a Nitro and he used to pull his Malibu Wake Setter 23 LSV. It has been doing well for short distance. Maybe not the best solution for longer drive. The car is very comfortable for longer drive. I currently own a Jeep and I think the Nitro is more comfortable I don't know all the statistic but it worked fine last year to pull his boat.