Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-22-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
I'm new to the area and I'm looking for some people to ride with. I don't have a boat but I'm more than willing to contribute to the gas money fund :-)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-22-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Which Richmond? CA or VA?

Out here in Cali there are a ton of people to ride with. Winter is a bit slow, but it'll pick up in the spring. You shouldn't have any trouble getting pulls in the Delta.

If you're in VA, I don't have anything for ya. Good luck. I'm sure there are crews, there, too.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-22-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Yep. Try www.DCWake.com and www.EndofRopegang.com

I live on the upper James and ride on weeknights. There are lots of different crews that get together and ride.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-22-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
When i lived in Richmond, we would ride Lake Chesdin durning the week and the Chickahominy River on weekends. The Chick is still one of my favorite places to ride.

Anna was nice, but got really rough. Chesdin is crazy on weekend afternoons, and so is SML.

We could always find smooth stretches on the chick.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-22-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
my bad I meant Richmond, VA

thanks Alan I'll have to check those sites out
Old     (murphytj)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-23-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Check out the sites Alan listed- still a little cold for most folks- I usually get going in March/April with a couple trips to warm side of lake Anna- try to hit upper James once/twice during the week when it warms up a bit-Weekends can get crowded so we go early or stay late. Mattaponi if James is too high due to rain- PM me when it gets a little warmer if you want to jump in- lots of folks to ride with- you should not have any trouble catching a ride.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-23-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
Emily..........
1) Tom = good guy. Take him up on that offer.
2) Watch for the Lake Anna crew's season opener party. End of March/beginning of April time frame. Date to be announced here. Awesome opportunity to meet the locals.
Old    alanp            01-24-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
soon as it gets reasonably warm ill start riding, youre welcome out with us anytime. i ride at lake anna, on the warm side. it would be a bonus if you could ride during the week. shoot me an email sometime.

john-- where is the season opener party usually held?
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-24-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Alan.....my house & Sandy's house. Next door to each other at Both Waters Estates. Friday through Sunday. Seriously good times.

Emily.....add AlanS and AlanP to the good guy list.

(Message edited by skyski1 on January 24, 2010)
Old    alanp            01-24-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
oh ok i actually launched from your ramp with dan s., early last spring before heading overseas. looking forward to the party and being around all summer too. probably gonna try to build another slider by the duck blind, ill see if anyone else is interested during the party.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-24-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
I think Tsunami Tommy built the original slider. Is it gone? I'm sure we can borrow Tommy's engineered blueprints and get 'er done. Congrats on being around all summer.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-25-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Thanks you guys! I'll definitely be in touch when once it warms up some.

John, about how far is Lake Anna from downtown Richmond?
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       01-25-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
John & AlanP: Are you talking about the slider on the warm side near the duck blind on Elk Creek? My house & dock are right there (I am the old man who rides behind the blue MasterCraft X2). It was there last time I looked (haven't been up in a couple of months), but I have never seen anyone ride it. I'll look next time I'm up & will let you know. Would love to see some guys hit it from my front row seat. My son wanted to try it but I told him I wanted to see someone else survive it (& not break it) first.

Emily: Depending on where you start & finish, I'd estimate 40 minutes to and hour. I come up from Virginia Beach & it takes me 2.5 hours.
Old    alanp            01-25-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
steve-- yeah that is the slider we are talking about. i hit it all the time(well i was gone all summer but i hit it all fall and spring). tsunami tommy didnt built it; the guy that has the black malibu did (forget his name right now but i think he works in the cable business). he and i talked last spring about building another slider or two.

steve i have a teal and white supersport(san) with no stickers. my brother owns the log cabin home right behind the beach at the commons area. he has a black and white supra dd.

emily ive driven many times from down in the fan and it takes about an hour+/-.

the plus side to lake anna is that on the private side its heated so you can ride earlier and later in the year. it can get blown out.. you should definitely try to find a crew down at the chickahominy, thats about 40 minutes from you, not heated but you can usually find good water. i grew up on that river so im biased.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-25-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
Alan...........black Malibu = Tommy = Tsunami Tommy, but he also has a brother who uses his boat as much as he does. So, I dunno.

Steve.....I'm the other old man who rides behind the black/red Malibu. *shake* Btw, that is a gorgeous X2 you have. Your wake is the only one out there that worries me when I see it coming.
Old     (strizzo360)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-25-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
Emily,

I have been looking into the DC Virginia area as well. I started a thread in the discussion forum, under Washington DC.--That might help you as well.

If anyone knows of any job openings in boat sales around the area, I would love to get my application in there. Thanks
Old    alanp            01-26-2010, 6:07 AM Reply   
john- that makes sense, as i was writing that post i kept thinking to myself(i think the guy's name is tommy too haha). i, confused, thought you were referring to that guy(forgot his name too) that has that yellow and black boat(maybe an avalanche?).
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-26-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Yellow/black Centurion............that would be Wade. Head honcho at DCWake. If you told me Wade built that slider, that would be the laugh I need to see me all the way through the rest of this stinkin' winter! Just the thought of it started me snickering and soon erupted into a man size belly laugh! However, if computer skilz and good intentions could build a slider, Wade could build us one from here to Mars!
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       01-26-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
Alan & John: I have seen you guys out there. Alan - your brother's house is on the same street as mine (nice place - sweet set up with water & view presumably without waterfront price!). John: Thanks - love my X2 (although I think we all suffer from "wake envy" as I am often looking at your wake and others thinking they are steeper and narrower than mine).

We will have to catch up this spring/summer. I am late to this game (having converted about 3 years ago after 30 years of waterskiing), so I am always looking for pointers. Stop by for a beer when you guys are over my way.
Old    alanp            01-26-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
steve ill definitely stop by. my brother(ken plotz) sold alot of the land in that development and imo think got the best non-waterfront lot there.