Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-10-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
Anybody know why WA still does not have a cable park... and if there are plans for one? Half the manufacturers and in the area and somehow nothing...
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-10-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
cuz its too cold in the winters
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-10-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
it's cold and rains 9 mos out of the year.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-10-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
A cable park in WA would have to be indoor with some way to heat the air/water. I don't know if it is even possible to think that would work. It would also have to be within 20-30 miles of downtown Seattle and property isn't all that cheap anywhere within that area.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       12-10-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
I am not buying the too cold as the only reason, otherwise the midwest would not have any. I do agree with the lack of location though. Here was the perfect location, just a couple f minutes from downtown. Unfortunately this is in the process of becoming ball fields.

Upload

This was once two reservoirs that could have had a cable park ans a seistic park side by side.

I guess they are building a 50 million gallon tank below the new parks so there is your indoor waterpark.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/333919_reservoirs02.html
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-10-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
Yeah, I dont buy the cold thing either... but I guess the lack of space is fair enough...
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-10-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
I don't really agree with the cold thing either. I live just north of the boarder in Canada and I usually start riding in April and end in October once the weather really turns or I just run out of day light which is no different then a lot of the other locations across the US.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-10-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
Just because you guys ride in the cold doesn't mean the masses will. This wouldn't be for fun. It would be to try and make money. It just isn't going to make sense unless they could figure out a way to make money and only keep it open half the year. A good solution may be to use the Enchanted parks land as a cable park. They already have a lake although I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It is only open 4 months a year or something. Having a cable park and keeping it open for 6 months may make some sense. The other thing to think about is there is so much to do in the Seattle area. We have all kinds of sporting events, arts and performaces. No matter where you live between Everett and Tacoma there is a ski area within an hour or so in the winter. In the summer no matter where you live in western washington there is a lake within 15 minutes away. I think it would be very cool to have one, I just don't think it will work from a financial standpoint. That means it ain't going to happen.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-10-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
The enchanted parks idea actually is seems like very viable option... clean up the lake there a bit and they could run a cable park for 6 months of the year... plus it's right off of I-5 for easy access...
Old    supraguy            12-10-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
Look at it this way, yeah in Fl and Texas you can ride all year long but the masses ride 8 months out of the year. If Ski resorts can do it why not a cable park. 4 month out of the year would be huge. Every time I am ridding a cable in Fl there are new people that say something like, I have always wanted to wakeboard but can't afford a boat. The same would go on here so I think if there was one in the NW it would do quite well... Just my 2cents
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-10-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   

quote:

If Ski resorts can do it why not a cable park.

you're comparing a century old sport to one that is still in its infancy stage?
Old    supraguy            12-10-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
skiing and snowboarding was new at one time. Also there would be a lot of those people that would be intersted in trying and some would stick with is and just be cable rats...What a great way to promote are sport, you don't need a boat to do it.....
Old     (bradsharee)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-12-2009, 2:01 AM Reply   
I've been trying to work the math for a few weeks now with some people...it just doesn't seem to add up. It would be sweet to get something in WA.

Here are some things to consider: Eastern Washington has better weather, less rain, more sun during the year...but Western Washington has the population. Rain does effect wake park business...as you know, wakeboarding in the rain is not desirable.

Comparing a ski resort to a wake park is apples and oranges. A mountain can hold a thousand people...a wake park can't even come close. At the same time, a wake park cost much less to operate.

At the end of the day, I think you would need Seattle's population and Spokane's weather to make it work from scratch. Since you're not getting that...Seattle's population and piggy backing off an existing lake (the biggest cost)...you might be able to do it. You would just have to figure out some time of profit share/ownership with the lake owner. But I think it could work.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-12-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
It's not that hard to figure out. The reason WA doesn't have a cable park is because nobody has opened one yet. Glad I could help answer your question. Just joking, I had to do it. I am running on about 2 hours of sleep right now.
Old     (talon)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-13-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
I think its a great idea sense i live here in wa and some times get bored of just boat riding i think we should do something in the middle of seattle and moses lake and then people that live in seattle can head up there for the weekend any ways thats what i would do.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-13-2009, 9:41 PM Reply   
Why Doesn't California have one either ?!?!!?!?!
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-14-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
That's true but So Cal is supposed to have one in the works.
http://www.supporttheboardpark.com/
http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2380

Haven't heard of anything in the works in WA...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-14-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
There is actually a pretty cool spot they could do it in Spokane. I went to school at Eastern Washington University and close to Cheney and 15 minutes from Spokane is is group of small lakes right off the freeway. The little town is called 4 lakes although I am not sure I have seen all 4 of them. There is even a ski course on one of them. The problem is most of Eastern Washington goes from 90 degrees to freezing in like a week at the end of October, early November. It then doesn't really warm up till april. So i guess you would have 5 or 6 months of being open. Property is a lot cheaper in Eastern Washington as well. I am not sure Spokane has the population to support one though. I actually have no idea what the population would need to be to keep one open.

(Message edited by polarbill on December 14, 2009)
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-14-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
What if you owned a large piece of waterfront on the Columbia or some lake, could you put up a System 2.0? I know it's not as crazy as a OWC but it would be a start.
I always thought Green Lake in Seattle would be perfect for a cable park.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-14-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Isn't Medical Lake (or 4 Lakes) in Cheney some sort of sacred Native American grounds or something like that? I thought I had read that. Everytime I drive by there I think about the same thing. The lakes aren't big enough to get a pull on a boat but could be sweet for a park. I really don't think Spokane's population could support that though, it would be sweet if someone wanted to throw down the cash and get it done though. I'd be there as long it held its head above water :-)
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-14-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
I've always thought Ellensburg would be the ideal spot for a park in Washington... Less than 2 hours from Seattle, less than 2 hours from Spokane. Home to Central Washington University and its 12,000 students.

There is an old golf course for sale (Reecer Creek Golf Course) right along the highway, in the ballpark of 80 acres, and its been on the market for over two years. The lot is dead-flat and has naturally-flowing water already running right through the middle of the property. The golf course has closed down... now it's just a huge weed patch.

Across the highway from the old golf course, the city is building a taxpayer-subsidized waterpark with the hope of promoting tourism and recreation. Given the community support for that project and the close proximity of the Reecer Creek golf course, combined with resident's concerns over development of the property... I can't help but wonder if the property would be a viable opportunity to become a cable park...

Or an idea for Darren... a combination of a cable park and Central Washington Mastercraft Dealership! ;)
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2009, 10:35 PM Reply   
CWU's wake club would love a cable park in Ellensburg!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-14-2009, 11:09 PM Reply   
Seattle/WA has more boats per-capita than any other place in the US... practically everyone either has a boat or knows someone with one, making a cable park virtually redundant.
Old     (hoppsxc140)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-15-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
i agree cal on the eburg idea, eventually all those people that float the river would want to give it a try, and any hot day in the summer peoples pond right down the road from the GC is always pack with college kids. the only issue with eburg is the sometimes gale force winds that blow through
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-15-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
"eburg is the sometimes gale force winds that blow through"

Eburg has gale force winds all the time. It wouldn't be hard though to put some sort or wind block up.
Old    supraguy            12-15-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
What is like a water park such as wild waters in CDA or splash down added on. The have the space and would have the crowds. If the right people where involved with the set up and rails would work. I see rookies on OWC and the Tampa cable all the time so it can be done for all levels of ridding... Just an Idea...... Tricitys would be a great place to lots of water and great weather.
As far as those lake just outside Spokane off I90 the west lake (not sure the name) back in the day they pulled contests on it. Not sure why that stoped... But it's deep enough and ong enough for a decent pull... 6 weeks and I am in Orlando again can't wait but will be a short trip only 5.5 weeks ... lol
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-15-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
MC Seattle would love to start a cable park, but we need some investors. Cal?
That old golf course would be a great spot for one, great exposure and very central in the state.
What does a pull at a cable park cost? Or do you buy season passes?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-15-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Darren, I got 5 on it.

I don't know if it is big enough but you should see if we can get a cable park put in on the reservoir up on 65th in the view ridge area.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-15-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
Rates are usaully time based i think: hour, month, 6-month, year etc... Here is the link to OWC.

http://www.orlandowatersports.com/rates-prices/rates-and-prices-a23.html

MC Seattle should start one, that would be great!
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-15-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
I agree.... Darren get on that

(Message edited by jsx-star on December 15, 2009)

(Message edited by jsx-star on December 15, 2009)
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-15-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
Anyone know how much it costs to operate a cable park or how much for the cable system for that matter?
Old     (wakeskierbrad)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
Very cheap per day to operate, like 10-20 bucks I think for the cable it self, other cost is the operator.

A full cable system, I believe towers, motor, parts, etc. shipped from over seas, and installed is somewhere around $300,000.

Other cost to start up would be building(proshop/office), lake if dont have one, property if dont have, permits, and things like that.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-29-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
Darren, would MC Seattle want to invest in a park?
Old     (lmcnary1)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-29-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
what is MC Seattle?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-29-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
The Mastercraft dealer in Seattle that is actually located in Issaquah.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-30-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
Not sure how much room is left, but the Sumner Industrial park has some wonderfully flat land that I have always thought would be great for a combo cable park/moto complex. The White River flows right through so water shouldn't be an issue either.

I do agree with the golf course in EBurg, that seems like a pretty good spot to possibly put one. Usually the Eastern/Central side of the state starts to warm up in April and everyone here is used to using a wetsuit early in the year so cold water shouldn't be to huge of a factor.