Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-13-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
Im just wondering if more agressive boards with a 3 stage rocker are less forgiving and intensify the force of impact in edge catching crashes?

Does anyone know or experienced this?

Ever since switching from the Premier to the PS3 this summer, the 3 times I have caught my edge have seemed beyond brutal and left me injured instead of rattled.

(Message edited by parkgirl on September 13, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
I don't think that rocker amount or type can increase the edge catching, but I do believe that boards with more fin definitely intensify the crashes. I love loose boards for the way they release and the forgivness when you land less than perfect.

If anything, I would think that big-rocker boards would set the edge higher off the water thus decreasing your chances of an edge catch.

I remember when the Parks board first came out with the 1.1s on it. I was so scared of the board I wouldn't even do a w2w 180.

It's been a rough summer for me too. I've been worked countless times this year.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-13-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
Andrea, when you go big, as you do, you're bound to eat it. I guess its just catching up with you. But, it's probably all behind you now.

What did you do this time?
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-13-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
Derby, I blew my eardrum last night. Cased the wake on a crow. Oh well, atleast I can be the driver, photog/filmer and practice my drinking skills for awhile...:-)

J-Rod, I think you are probably right about rocker and 3 stage. I rode both without center fins and the PS3 is definitely not as loose as my old premier(era) and more sticky on the water so maybe thats it or maybe it was just time to pay my dues!

Thanks for the input!

(Message edited by parkgirl on September 13, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
i don't think so much as its aggressiveness that leads to harder crashes, but more of the fact that it's different from what you normally ride that could lead to harder crashes.

but then gain, what do i know?

stay healthy andrea! we need to get your riding on film.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-13-2006, 8:50 PM Reply   
Ouch...sorry for taking it litely. Do you know how long you'll be out? Didnt you say before that you almost blew it out yesterday too?

For what its worth I've taken more big diggers on my PS3 as well. I was thinking it was because you and Scott are encouraging me to progress more and more.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
Blew out the ear drum.....OUCH!Sorry to hear that.When you say a while,do you mean days or weeks?

I don't think it's the board tho....well at least I hope not b/c I just got a PS3.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-13-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
No worries~
I didnt think I blew it last night. I didnt have any symptoms. The pain was tolerable and went away last night, no bleeding or dizziness or anything. I decided to get it looked at today just incase because I cant hear much out of it, and he found a good size hole in it. Doc. said 6 weeks. BOO!

Nice Ed! I LOVE my PS3 and dont wanna give it up it just seemed that my edge catchers went from being slaps to 2X4's...lol!
Im definitely still down to come hang out on your boat when you come up here!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
6 WEEKS!!!

That sucks.I actually wanted to see you ride,you inspire me.

I guess you'll be the driver for the day.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-13-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
The better you get, the higher you fly, the harder you fall!

Last time I blew my ear drum I lost over 1/3 of my hearing in my left ear (Tantrum over rotated a half revolution, landed feet up on the side of my head). Now I wear a helmet to protect my ears. I am bummed I didn't do something sooner to protect my hearing. That was my fourth blown ear drum from wakeboarding and since wearing a helmet for the last say 6 years...my last.

You will blow that ear drum even easier the next time. Becareful and heal up!
Old    alanp            09-13-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
docs pro plus. vented ear plugs so you can still hear. for 10 bucks its great insurance. i blew out my eardrum once and i never have ridden without them since.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   
Blown ear drums suck. One of the worst pains I have experienced. Fortunately no hearing loss. Did it three yrs ago just learning to do plain ol' wake jumps. Last year I aggravated it with a crash. Soon after that bought a helmet with the ear guards, been a saver that's for sure. Good luck with the healing process.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-13-2006, 10:10 PM Reply   
http://www.proplugs.com/index.shtml

Thanks Alan. I've been trying to remember the name of these for a while. I got a hole in mine and it constantly fills with water when riding or falling. It drives me nuts.

Andrea you think if you get these you could come back sooner? Maybe a question for the Doc.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-13-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
6 weeks? That seems a little excessive, although I don't know the extent of your injury.

I perf'd mine several weeks back and was told to stay off the water for 10 days. I did a 7 day run of anti-biotics (ear drop) and felt 100% by day 5. Almost the identical situation for my wife - she did it about 6 weeks ago and healed in almost the exact fashion.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2006, 10:50 PM Reply   
not everyone heals the same way.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
Andrea,

Give it a week or two and you can ride with plugs. I've done it twice and never waited more than a week. I keep the wax plugs in the dash.

The summer is almost over. You don't have 6 weeks!
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-14-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Andrea,

So sorry to here the bad news =\

Keep your head up & stay smiling, your welcome to cruise the X2 next time we roll out. I would say give it a week or 2 and ride with earplugs & see how you feel, listen to your body, etc. Take care girl - we need ya back on the water sooner than later!
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-14-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help you guys!- Its really not too bad of an injury at all except for 6 weeks! Broken bones and messed up shoulders didnt put me out that long!Nobody I know has ever been out that long either. My doc was probably just the extra careful type, but he threatened me with surgery if the hole doesnt heal itself, so we'll see. He seemed to be worried about water getting in there and causing infection? But it sounds like you guys have holes in your ears and get water in it all the time.

So I just got this Liquid Tunes mp3 player, do you think the headphones would substitute earplugs? I have a helmet w/ flaps as well, but I hate wearing it.

Back to the board thing. Nobody here really seems to think there is a relationship between faster responding boards and whether they are less forgiving? That seems strange to me....With snowboards, I know for sure that a more responsive, faster edging board will put you on your butt so fast if your not on your landing, but a slower more forgiving board will let you slide around if your not on it. I thought maybe the same would apply here.

Im NOT blaming my injury on the board at all, I was doing a stock trick on a wider wake than Im used to, and got lazy and didnt adjust my cut, thus coming up short. Im just wondering if the board is too aggressive for me, and I'd be better on a more forgiving looser board that wont punish me so hard if mess up.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
faster responding/edgier boards...yes

bigger rocker boards... no

just my opinion.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-14-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Thanks J-Rod, you actually helped me answer my own question, I originally worded it wrong! :-)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
I think the difference in SB and WB is that WB you are traveling the speed of the boat and as for SB it is all momentum so a faster more aggressive board will put you on you ass harder and faster.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Sucks chick.... I doubt it has anything to do with the board. I've noticed that as I've gotten more agressive and ride a longer line at higher speeds that the crashes are that much worse. The thing is, when you go big you crash big.

I hear you on the injuries. I was pretty money all year, but lately I've been hammering myself. Might be time to cash in and rest up for snowboard season. I'm pretty sure I've got some broken ribs right now, so I'm thinking my season is done. Looks like if we go out next week Scott'll be getting plenty of ride time. LOL
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-14-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Yep Big you go harder you fall. I was having a great year I think I was going bigger then I ever have but I hammered my knee twice this year so I think my season is done. Andera, I don't think that 6 weeks isn't realistic just get some plugs and wait a week. I would still be down to go out and have a beer or six though
Al
Did you get your boat back yet? Or did you guys deside to do somthin else
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-14-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
Yeah Evan, I was sorry hear about your ribs, those are not very fun to injure, Scott did his once while having bronchitis. Sucks!

But Im not too worried about time off, I could use it. I havent had a long stretch of time off a board in years! I know, poor me.

I am still so down to come out and watch everyone ride though so if any of you are short a 3rd, lemme know. Ed I will drive your X2 anytime!
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-14-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Al- I agree it is probably not the board and just dumb luck I havent gotten hurt worse before.

Our boat is fixed but we decided with the amount of hours on it, its time for a new one, so we will probably be getting one this week. It'd be cool if all you guys wanna come hang out when we take it on its maiden voyage and all those not injured can enjoy the wake...lol :-)
Old     (dragginby)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-14-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Andrea...I have caught harder edges on my PS3 then my old Substance. I think it is the rolled edges. Not sure though... Hope your ear heals up. It sucks blowing them. I have blown 1 ear twice and my other once.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-14-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
I am sorry to hear about your ear... I may only get 3 feet of air but after seeing a friend crash and burn his ear out I decided to wear a helmet with ear guards. It looks kind of stupid (especially when you do not go that big) but my health is more important.

Andrea, does that mean you can't hear the snakes as they slither up to your boat? Be careful, I heard that they like to get closer to the boat where it is warmer later in the season!
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-14-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
oh you are so mean Tom! JK.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-14-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
Al- did you hurt your knee again in the past week since I saw you? That sucks, knees are the worst.
Thanks for all the info. you gave us about the boat. It really helped to have your input.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-14-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Andrea, the snowboard season will soon be upon us and as far as I know...no Snakes at Tahoe in winter. Although I still think that they hang around the Delta (mostly at lost isle or was that just the white trash).
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
OK so if that is the case....I need a driver on this monday and tuesday.Will be riding on sunday as well,you guys are more then welcome to come ride and chill.Maybe have a beer drinking contest after the riding sesh.?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
ohh and same thing next week...24th-26th.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-14-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Andrea- Yep I hurt it last thusday night, trying new stuff so I can keep up with you and Scott. I did it good this time So I think I'm done untill next spring. Scott H said you guys liked the 215 wake is that what your gonna get?
Al
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
Coughing + Damaged ribs = ouch!!
Old     (scott313)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
Evan - sucks you hurt your ribs,I was looking forward to riding with you.

Allen - sorry to hear about your knee, Did you blow it? It looks like we are going to get a 215. As long as all the numbers work out, we'll be ordering it this weekend.

J-Rod - If your looking for people to ride with let me know.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-19-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Alan/Derby-

Thanks so much for the link to the pro plugs...Im definitely not gonna make it for 6 weeks!