Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-07-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
Just wondering what other Delta riders do when you have open wounds and cuts(not just minor scratches), do you ride anyway or wait for it to heal completely?
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-07-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
How big of a cut? Maybe just slob neosporin on it.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
I have a buddy that skate! He hit is head on his skate, got some staples. Was out on the dirty d the next day!(not smart i know, but he had a comp in a few days) And he's ok, (well as good as he was before it happend) Oh and the sicks part was, the next day he stomp the new trick he workin on when he hit his head. But if it was me I would wait.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
They sell these new water tight bandages that work well.

Or, you could reduce your risk by soaking it with rubbing alcohol or peroxide after every set in the water.
Old     (jschwart73)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-07-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
I had week old stitches on my leg once and went out on the Delta - A few days later, the wound had gotten sore and puffy, I accidentially brushed it up against something and out ruptured all kinds of ick.

Ended up back at the hospital with an open wound getting re-stitched and on a very strong anti-biotic program.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-07-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
that's pretty disgusting..
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
yeah man, that kinda made me want to throw up...especially the part about it rupturing when you brushed up against something...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-07-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
LOL... I've never had any problems, but I've stayed out of the water for at least a few days after getting stitches. My thought is that if it's big enough for stitches I'd take it easy for 3-4 days. Anything smaller and I wouldn't worry about it. Use some neosporin and a band-aid when you get out of the water.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
If it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger. Case in point, Jeff probably doesn't get that disgusted by leaking puss wounds anymore. He has become stronger because of his taunting of the Delta's nastiness, my hats off to you Jeff.
Old     (jschwart73)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-07-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
Prepared me for when my appendix surgical wound got infected. You think a leg can hold all kinds of ick....
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-07-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
FWIW we've been having out water tested at misc spots around golden Isle (end of Victoria) for the last 18 months. According to the water testing people it's cleaner then most lakes! If you think about it theres a lot more water flowing the Delta then a lake.

On the other hand a kid in the ski club almost lost an eye when it got infected after a "mud fight" and a good friend of mine's knee got real infected and put him down good before they got enough antibiotics into him to get it under control. (I told him beer wouldn't be enough!)

I personally think you're more likely to pick up an infection in a hospital then in the Delta.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-07-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
I tend to agree that the Delta isnt as dirty as most believe. Normally I just pour on some peroxide after a set. But this thing sucks, I got a 2nd degree burn on my leg on Monday when I brushed up against the exhaust pipe of my husband's motorcycle, and lost a patch of skin about the size of a fist. Its healing up nicely and I was tempted to wrap it in saran wrap to ride today, but I think Ill wait a few more days to play it safe. Thanks for the input!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
duct-tape!