Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-03-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
It's been a few years since JRod and I started the original P90X thread. I have completed that program 8 times since then. I even got caught up in the Insanity craze, the one on one stuff, and the P90X+ stuff.

My best results took me down to 172 pounds at 5% body fat. I had finally achieved the allusive 8 pack!

My friends and family, however, were not that excited for me. They said that my face looked sunken. My wife's biggest complaint was my over the top metabolism. I HAD to have food every 2 hours. If I didn't plan for every bite taken, my whole attention would be for the pursuit of a healthy calorie.

2010 was not a good year for fitness for me. I fell off the wagon somewhat. I probably worked out 3-4 months total for the entire year. I ate a ton of sweets, and re-established my relationships with Miller, Corona, and my favorite, Modelo.

By the end of summer, I weighed in at 185 and felt very sluggish. My staff, however (mostly non athletic, larger people) still complained that with my genetic make-up, I would lose the pounds at an unfairly rapid rate.

So.......I decided to pack on as much unhealthy weight as I could before the start of 2012. The plan was to show them that loosing a ton of weight is possible for anyone that has the drive and the discipline.

I ate everything. I ballooned to 202! I was miserable. Getting off the floor was a chore. I groaned at every physical thing that I did. Energy level, sex drive, self motivation for anything......gone.

My family started calling my gut, my friend. They think that the look is fun.......arg.
My staff can't believe how big I got. The processes has led to 2 of them, one man and one woman, betting me that they can lose more of a percentage of fat than I can. So, so far, the mission to motivate them has worked. We shall see.

and oh, I'm sure you guys know that this "mission" wasn't all formed out of trying to help others.
I just needed an excuse to stay lazy...

Santa brought me P90X2 for Christmas.
I started it yesterday. My official starting weight is 197.

More on the actual workouts later. I gotta run......
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-03-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
pics, or it didn't happen.

That's absolutely insane. Talk about an employee development plan from hell.

You should (if you haven't already done so) send that story to the P90x people.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-03-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
yea, I will post the embarrassing pics when I get back home
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-03-2012, 10:21 AM Reply   
I read an article about a trainer who did the same thing..he gained close to 70lbs so he knew what his clients felt like.

I found the videos online already...I've watched a couple of them. They look good.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-03-2012, 9:27 PM Reply   
the first pic was taken 2 years ago. It's the only one of me lean that I could find. I believe that I got a bit more ripped after one more round. I'm hoping to get back to at least that
the next one just taken yesterday. arg! Today was plyocide. I couldn't get every rep....
that's about a 25 pound difference. I can't image packing on 70 pounds. 25 was bad enough
Attached Images

Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       01-04-2012, 5:10 AM Reply   
www.fit2fat2fit.com

thats the blog of the guy who gained 70 lbs just to prove to people that it is possible to get back into shape.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-04-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
Cliff,

Keep us updated on th X2 and how you like it. I knew I couldn't jump into that. I have been pretty consitant on workouts but nutrition has lacked bigtime!!

I am up at 250 from my lowest of 210 post first round P90X. I jumped in to the Les Mills Pump with a big group, started 1/2/2012 so 3 days in. Starts slow but I think it's going to be good and gives me time to add in running. I am planning on doing Tough Mudder Norcal in September.

Bring It!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-04-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
So what is P90x 2 like? I can't do th4 original program anymore. The repetition drives me nuts. I need something fresh and new.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-04-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
I am jumping back on the train on monday. I have not done a full 90 days with diet since last I finished in april. I have still eaten well and do about 5 days a week of P90X. I pushed real hard the last six weeks with exercise but diet was tough with the holidays. Then we left for Maui on Christmas, and I eat and drank everything in site. When I got home last night I gained 5 pounds. Plus I feel like crap from all the rich food. I am gonna start 90 days on monday and I am ready. I would also like to hear about some of the workouts in the 2X.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-05-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
j -rod...the P90x2 is similar to the old in that they are tweaking a few of the old exercises...but add a bunch of new ones. It seems more focused on compound/balnce type exercises. It utilizes the swiss ball and medicine balls alot. they do alot of warm up/active warmup and foam roller stuff in each video. drop ur email and I can send you the "worksheets" that list all the exercise names. the new ab workout is really good.....

I'm not following the program, just building my own utilizing some of the exercises.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-05-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
Adam is right.
this program is also divided into 3 sections. The difference is that there is no scheduled recovery week. P90X2 is designed for the person that is pretty in tune with their own body/needs.

each round of both excercises and diet can be done anwhere from 3 weeks each to 6 weeks with no recovery week in between. When you feel like you need a break, pop in the recovery week DVD and push play.

Keep in mind that I am only on day 4........but I've noticed that another major difference is that the excercises are mostly all done using a medicine ball, a stability ball, or in a yoga position.

Lots of pushups on the med balls, curls and presses on stability ball....stc....

some excercises are the same but with a twist:

mary kates with a med ball, Dreya rolls with a med ball, plyo pushups using a stability ball.....

lots of foam roller stuff and burpies....

I will keep you posted as I encounter new stuff. I did day 5 this morning, but still have ab ripper2 to do this afternoon
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-06-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
Tired the chest/back/balance last ntie at the gym.....very difficult. My wrists are sore from all the balancing on medicine balls, and couldnt' figure out how to stop them from rolling around when jumping on/off them, lol.

IMy muscles are not sore at all. I think b/c of the difficulty of most of the exercises it makes it hard to do more than 15-20 reps of anything. My wrists were giving out before my muscles fatigued. I've done medicine ball work in the past, but the jumping on/off really strained mine??

I would consider myself in very good shape (strength, endurance, cardio)....and there were some moves I could barely do with corect form, lol.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-06-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
I can't stand the complicated exercises where it feels like you're spending more energy trying to get the form right than you are in working your muscle. The original P90x has a few of these, but for the most part everything is pretty straightforward. P90x2 sounds like they've added quite a few more. K.I.S.S.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-09-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
It has been 2 years since I last did p90x. Started it back up this morning. I forgot how tough the first day/week is. I weighed in at 224.6 this morning. Hoping to be down to 205 when I finish the program.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-15-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
P90x 2 = amazing.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-16-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
Clif, hows the X2 going?

I switched it up and have been doing Les Mills Pump since New Years, great program! Down 13 lbs since New Years and going strong.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-19-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
hey Doug
it's going well. I am just now able to do all of the moves (for the most pat\rt). The quick feet stuff has been tough. I can tell that I am getting older....

I have lost 12 pounds since Jan 1st. This week, however, I've seemed to stagnate on the weight loss. Congrats on your Les Mills workout. I have heard good things about it!

This workout is difficult to "bring it" at first. I think that I will do this first round for 5 or maybe 6 weeks before moving on to round 2. I will probably need a recovery week soon. It's yoga 3x that week. ARG!, but yoga is only an hour.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-19-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
I am down 6lbs so far and I have lost 2 inches off my waist. I started this diet based on the book "The Belly Fat Cure" Best diet I have ever been on! Almost done with week 2 of p90x as well. The 2 together are awesome.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-09-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
Cliff,
Are you still pushing play? I am doing the orginal P90X with phatboy. I have just reached my first recovery week after having some set backs with health issues. Anyway last night I did a 160 pull ups on legs and back which has been a goal of mine for a long time. Felt so good to finally accomplish it.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-09-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
I've been doing P90X for 3 weeks now. I mainly need to lose 25 lbs and so far haven't really lost much at all. HOpefully i'm just gaining muscle which will burn more calories soon.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-09-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
Ian,
How is your diet? I did P90X many times but my diet sucked. THen last year I did it with proper diet and couldn't believe the strength gains I was able to make. Before I could do around 110 pull ups and then with changing my diet I am up to 160. My diet isn't perfect like it was last year but it is light years ahead of where it was before.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-11-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
So...old thread but,

The summer was pretty hard on my fitness. Despite wakeboarding and mountain biking quite a bit I also drank and ate BBQ quite a bit.

Last January I was in excellent shape due to training for a Mt Kilimanjero climb...fast forward to October and I am in danger of having to shelve a number of expensive suits due to them shrinking...

I've done P90X1 a couple of times a few years ago but I can't stand to go through the same routine again. I ordered P90X2 today, hoping to start this weekend. Hopefully by Christmas I won't look like Santa...I thought I would post on here in order to shame myself to stick with it.

I'm going to try and follow the diet as close as possible, any comments about the diet from the first version to this one?
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-12-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
^ The only way to properly shame yourself to sticking to the diet. Is a before and after.

Time to step up.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-13-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
I've been doing crossfit 4-5 days a week for the past two months after not working out for the past year. I just put in the P90x plyo workout never having done a p90x routine and after 45 minutes I am totally gased. Besides for wanting to throw up everywhere right now, I found the routine to get a little boring. Those 30 second water breaks sure go by quickly
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-13-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
" I probably worked out 3-4 months total for the entire year." Not Good Enough!
Clif, just like wakeboarding, working out is a life style, and to keep your heart in shape you Must work out 3-4 times a week minimum! Just 20 min of getting your heart rate above 150 bpm, anyone can do the minimum, you might not be able to eat everything, but you can stay in shape! I know guys that were in top physical shape and after only 2 weeks of doing nothing, they had dropped their physical conditioning dramatically, if they started conditioning right away they could quickly get back in shape, but I was surprised how fast they fell. You cannot cheat your heart, you are either in shape or you or not. Anyone who thinks they are in shape because of something they did a month ago is mistaken! You said yourself that when you were in shape, you could do anything! That is your life, put in the 20 minute workout every other day, you owe that to yourself. This reminds me of Tom Hanks packing on the weight to do the movie Cast Away, but he made millions of dollars doing it.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-15-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Vids come on friday...I might try and do the workouts in the morning which would mean getting up at 5am, but my evenings are somewhat shot by work and evening classes twice a week. I am NOT a morning person though.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-15-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
I wasn't a morning persons either, but I got into the habit of getting up at 4:30 and doing the workouts before driving my kids to school. Getting up is hard but it feels awesome to start the day that way!
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-15-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
Man, these threads get me fired up. I commend all you guys on your hard work. I struggle SO MUCH with this stuff.
I'm getting fatter and fatter these days... and with a 2 year old, and a new boy due in November, I have to be honest with myself and say I don't see things changing any time soon.

Getting up at 4:30AM... daaayyummmm. I just don't see how you do it.