Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Anyone done this at their house? I've got 3 72"x56" windows that are up high that I really don't want to put blinds in and am thinking about doing the tint. Seems like the price is not too bad to do it. Any pros or cons that you have seen? Thinking about having my Budget Blinds rep come out next week and do a quote.
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-17-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Just make sure you shrink it as much as possible before you cut!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-17-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
I've used the DIY stuff you get from Home Depot on a few of my windows. These particular windows were in direct view of the afternoon sun, so the areas inside my house near these windows got pretty hot in the afternoon. The tint did wonders for reducing the heat. I'll admit that they do not look that great from the outside because they are so reflective, but they're not very prominently located near the front of the house or anything, so I can live with it for the heat reducing benefits. They were very easy to install, even for odd shaped windows.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-17-2010, 5:23 PM Reply   
I wouldn't got the route of self tinting. That usually doesn't look as good, work as well, or last as long. Most local glass/window shops will have a list of reputable home and commercial tint companies in your area. We sell a decent amount of tinted windows to customers in your situation. However, if they aren't looking o replace the glass we refer them to a tinting shop.

Depending on how old your current windows are and how much you want to spend you have a few options. Tinting is the cheapest, next cheapest is buying new insulated units that are tinted, the third and most expensive (although there is a tax credit - 30% up to 1500 for qualifying windows) is all new windows (glass and frames).

One warning...the tint can raise the temperature of the air between the panes, which could cause them to prematurely fail and when the weather changes you will be left with condensation/fogging going on.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-17-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
I've done a few windows myself. If they are up high where you cant see through them anyway, I'd consider getting some of the "frosted glass" tint.