Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-28-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
I'm headed down to Orlando for spring break march 7th-13th. Bringing my Mastercraft down and was looking for the best spots to launch and ride near Orlando.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-28-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Me and Some of my buddies are going to be down there too. The resort we are staying at is right on a lake. The name of the resort is Westgate so i'd suggest looking into that.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-28-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Surprised you haven't gotten any replies yet I guess no one wants you riding on their spot . The Orlando Area has thousands of rideable lakes, With the larger lakes being outside of center Orlando.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-28-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
Lake Conway is a public lake just off Orange and up the road from OWC. Also the Butler chain of lakes on the other side of town.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-28-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
We rode on a lake in Sanford and it was pretty huge...almost got lost kinda huge...LOTS OF BUTTER outside of the main channel! Lake Monroe tapped into Lake Jessup and Mullet Lake and Lake Harney..long day of Riding and decently wide in most areas...full huge coves with nobody in them...so nice..
Old     (nautiquetrevo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-28-2009, 10:39 PM Reply   
I would recommend not going on to Lake Jessup. There is a reason why it's smooth and no one is on it.

The largest amount of alligators per acre in Florida.

Just my 2 cents.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-28-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
I will agree with Trevo about the gators on Jessup...we were on Jetskis then but on the other lakes we connected to I didn't really see anything...Granted we only went out there for 2 days...wish I was able to ride in Orlando waters when I was down there... this was about 5 years ago id say
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-01-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
Conway and butler chains are nice, also public lakes, ivanhoe, a bit windy and fairview a bit dirty, for a fee from the city you can access the winter park chain, and maitland chain but maybe Consider the St. john's river, wild and scenic.. on the weekdays miles of butter,put in at sanford,(lake monroe) or sr 44, head north from either put in. the river widens into lake george, it has "sliver glenn" a county or state park you can drive your boat in and achnor in crystal clear spring water, no drinking in the park, enforced. There is a guy on W.W., Tim Rurey, who has a "jungle house" compound with boat dock right on the river, his plan was to rent it out, not sure if it's ready. pm if u want his em
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-01-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
I'd have to say that the Winter park chain is the Cleanest of them ( I'm biased) But you do have to have a sticker to ride there. I would not ride in lake Jessup or lake George if it was the only place to ride... Clear lake has a public dock ,But it's right on the middle of the Hood. I was scurred just getting out to look at the dock!!Sand lake is the lake behind Westgate resort but I've never looked for a public ramp for it.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-01-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Not trying to thread hijack or anything. But since this is close enough to Orlando I'm hoping to get some help.
I'm taking my boat to Melbourne in April. Seems like the closest lake is 5 miles west of Melbourne which would be Lake Washington. Anyone ever ride it?
Old     (nautiquetrevo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-01-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
Nick, i only know of people using air boats out on Lake Washington, swamp land all around. Probably not the best choice for wakeboarding but if your going to be in Melbourne you might as well travel 45 minutes to Orlando, it will be well worth it.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-01-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
Really? Can anyone else confirm this? I could of sworn I saw pictures of it with decent sized boats out. I will be hitting up the St. Cloud area one day. Haven't decided which lake yet, but theres a ton to choose from so that won't be an issue.
Otherwise I'm going to be running the Indian river in Melbourne.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-01-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
I have friends that ride lake Washington all the time with a wake boat. TONS of bog gators but every lake has at least a few. Just leave your purse dog at home aka gator bait
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-01-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
Anyone ever have an encounter with a gator? I mean I hear people talk about them in Florida all the time. But I've never heard of anyone with an actual story to tell.
I think we will be fine, If I get bit, I can probably still ride with a wooden hand as long as I tape it to the handle..Right?
Old     (clearlakeirene)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-01-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
I think Scott meant BIG gators!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-01-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
Just replace you for the deer in the pic'.. Upload
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-01-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Haha, Nice
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-01-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
I googled looking for a attack on a skier or wakeboarder but nothing. Seems that our gators only like naked crack heads
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-02-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
jeff, im off most of the time you will be down here...i'll be glad to show you some good lakes...how many people are going to be with you? I live in the Windermere area and there is always at least one good spot to ride on... the Butler Chain is good because there are about 8 lakes that are all connected by canal so if one spot is ovverrun by other boats or wind we can always find some butter! just let me know
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-04-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'm defiantly trying to avoid being gator bait. Cant wait for some warm weather next week. Butler chain sounds like the place to be.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-04-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
I don't think you have much to worry about with the gators.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-04-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
Gators are worthless in the winter. They don't bother anyone....

with that said, I wouldn't go swimming in a big lake at night, but I have no problems riding during the day.

P.S. if you want to see gators Gatorland in orlando rules... its like 10 bucks of there are some monsters there.... and wild snakes everywhere, just a heads up.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-04-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
If anyone is in the area on Vacation or anything during mid April let me know. I'll have a crew of only 3 riders including myself with a whole SAN to fill.

(Message edited by lakemiltonwake08 on March 04, 2009)
Old     (reachjims)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
jeff, i would say pay the fee and hit up winter park chain its only like 10 or 12 bucks a day and well worth it.

Nick, come ride the river with us in edgewater, we are about an hour north of melbourne, if you want to make the trip email me. reachjims@yahoo.com
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-04-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
I'll double check and make sure my crew wants to head out, I can't promise anything since were going to be doing alot of driving as it is and I'm not positive they're going to want to. But if so we'll come up.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-05-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
Jeff you have the pro star? If so good, The X Star is to large for winter park as they have a 22' limit . It's funny the Rollins collage wakeboard club uses a X star & have been ticketed.