Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-02-2015, 10:03 PM Reply   
Well my WW friends it has been a long time since I've been in the forums as deployments, PCS'ing and kids have keep me very busy. The wife and I have come to a tough decision to make.....We are seriously contemplating selling our girl, 2005 Sanger V215. The wife's health has taken a serious downturn and I'm afraid her boating days are over. So we are stuck with either keeping our Sanger and getting really not getting used, not to mention we are PCS'ing again this time going from MIchigan to Washington and having to tow her, again......or do something that is very painful and sell her to somebody who will get to enjoy her for what she was made to do..........

So if we put her on the market .....
(1) is there even a market for used boats right now?
(2) is Nada a good starting point for pricing?

Thoughts?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2015, 1:58 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about the situation. The upside is there is very high demand for clean , well maintained , used boats. NADA is a good starting point , but a better judge is to look around and what's for sale out there in you're area and price it accordingly. Not knowing exactly what you boat has on it or its condition will not get you a very good ballpark. Details are key here. Again though. The used market for20-30k v drives where this boat falls is hotter than ever
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-03-2015, 5:31 AM Reply   
Swat,
There aer no used Sangers for sale in my area, and less than 5 wake boarding boats (used) for sale which I why I ask. I would think its either no demand or hugh and they are being sold rather rapidly. Our Sanger is very clean, interior has no cuts, very soft like the day we bought it. Always stored in-doors. People who see her can't believe she is a 2005. Nada has low of 16k avg of 19k and sug at 39k.....I was thinking 30k is a good deal especially since I have sooooo many extras to throw in like boards, ropes, tubes, etc. There is a 2005 Ski Natie for 32k in our area so I don't think my asking would be too high.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-03-2015, 5:42 AM Reply   
Put it on Onlyinboards and if its well maintained and clean people will drive to you to buy it. I drove 6 hours one way for both of my boats.

Sorry about your wife I couldn't imagine going through something like that. My prayers go out to your family!!!!!
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-03-2015, 6:54 AM Reply   
I would check and see what your local market is asking for similar boats. I have found that craigslist is your best source for testing the pricing for boats in your local market. I know here in MN boats demand a higher price than down south just due to supply. Plus, you can always throw it up on clist for free and see if you have any nibbles! Thats what i did with my MC X5 and it sold surprisingly fast.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-03-2015, 9:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider_2 View Post
this time going from MIchigan to Washington and having to tow her, again......
Washington State? If so, the market here is great. You could sell that over here pretty easily and get your top dollar. Our season has just started in full swing and I'm sure there's people itchin' to get into a good, used wakeboat. And Sangers are plenty well known over here on the West Coast.
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-03-2015, 9:47 AM Reply   
Ken-
I am sure there is a market by you for wake boats. With the number of lakes in the Detroit Metro area, there is a big market for these boats. Your problem will be the brand as it is not as well known in MI, but anyone that knows the industry should recognize it. Based on a quick CL search, I think your $30k price should be right on. If you were over on the west side of the state with me, I would agree it would be harder to sell.

Hope your wife gets better.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-03-2015, 1:35 PM Reply   
Hope your wife improves.

On the bright side, I don't think you'll have any problem selling.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-03-2015, 2:02 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear this.

The market for used, affordable v-drives is very strong right now. My friend sold his V215 in one day, for his asking price, with 1200 hours on it,
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-03-2015, 3:32 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your wife.

the Washington wake boat market is strong in price but I'm unsure of the seasonal volume. While searching for our last boat the prices were less in other areas of the country with warmer climates and I'm assuming a bigger wake boat market. if you could swing it I would enjoy some of what Washington has to offer, especially on the eastern side of the state. Roosevelt, Banks Lake , Moses Lake, Lake Chelan, and other sections of the Colombia River are epic. Lake Washington (if you like cops and being harassed), Lake Sammamish (where many of the wakeboarding companies and pro's started) , Lake Tapps (if it fills this year), Lake Cushman, etc on the west side are good too. I couldn't sell my boat and still live here. The winters are so gray, rainy, and long its about all I have to look forward to.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-03-2015, 10:15 PM Reply   
Thank you guys for the positive comments about the wife.

We are PCSing to the Spokane area late August, don't want to pull her cross country to possibly not be able to sell that late in the season.
Jarrod do you mind telling me how much your friend sold his for that quick?
Blair she is very clean as I am very OCD with my stuff.
Pics attached for you guys, and thank you for the good advice.
Attached Images

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-03-2015, 10:28 PM Reply   
I've now put an ad in the Classified section. Thank you again.
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-04-2015, 9:31 PM Reply   
Nice looking boat!

I live in Coeur d' Alene, ID, which is just across the border from Spokane. I understand that you don't want to trailer the boat across country, but if you did your boat would sell in this area for $30k.....even late in the season. There is a Sanger dealer in CDA and has really helped increase the popularity of Sangers in this area. I have a buddy that would probably buy that right now!

BTW: I would NOT sell all your gear with the boat. You will NOT get more money for the boat and you will pay big $$$ to replace it all once your wife's health recovers and you get back into boating....which I pray she does!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-04-2015, 11:06 PM Reply   
KDA,
The wife's condition will never get better, it's going to get worse as time goes by unfortunately. Otherwise we would just keep the Sanger until she recovered but there is no recovery for her. As for the gear, I PCS in August and she has another major surgery beginning of July. So I really don't have time to piece it out 1 thing at a time.

If I don't get a good deal I will keep her and bring her with me cross country, (the kids would be very happy) but that will suck, but I'm not going to give her away with how meticulously I detailed her all the time. Not to mention this is my last tour and I can retire at any time now, the plan was to be a lake bum but now it might just be a part time lake bum if she doesn't sell.

We are also looking at CDA to live so your buddy might get the opportunity.

Thank you for the prayers.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-04-2015, 11:07 PM Reply   
Here's the link to the Craigslist ad. The add has waaaaaaaaaaay more pictures that what WW allows.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/5057480409.html

I already got 5 emails in the first 4 hours, so that is a good sign.

Last edited by ghostrider_2; 06-04-2015 at 11:08 PM. Reason: add info
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-05-2015, 5:43 AM Reply   
keep us update with everything
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-05-2015, 2:34 PM Reply   
If you live around water, your boat will sell. That's a nice boat!

When you get to the Inland Northwest and your boat has sold, drop me a message and I would be glad to take your crew for rip on one of our awesome lakes!

Good luck on the sell of your boat.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-13-2015, 10:18 AM Reply   
Good luck with the sale. It's a beautiful boat. Always liked those Sangers.
Shows that you have your priorities straight and doing what's best for your family.
If you're ever on the wet side of WA Id be glad to take you and the fam out for a pull as well.
As mentioned above if you don't get what it's worth back east the market is pretty strong out here.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-13-2015, 9:51 PM Reply   
Update
Within 4 hours of posting on Craigslist I started getting emails. Most never heard of Sanger before but once they did a little research, the rest as they say, is history!

I actually got above asking price after a few looked at it and couldn't believe it's condition, swearing it looked like a new motor and new interior. 2 buyers actually got into a little bidding war right in front of me, as the dust settled she went for a cool 40.5k!!

All in all It was a painful day today as they came and picked her up, but it was something that needed to happen...

I will be taking some of those ride offers up! I have no problem helping with gas and final wipe down.

Thank you guys again.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-14-2015, 9:14 AM Reply   
Wait, so you listed it for 30k and got 40.5k? Ummmm if that is true then you got just the most money for a 2005 Sanger in the history of mankind… that's including V230's. Looks like I'm shipping my boat up to the Detroit area when I decide to sell. Never knew the wake market was so strong up there.

Good luck with everything else!
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-14-2015, 9:28 AM Reply   
You literally hit the honey pot by having 2 prepared buyers there in front of a well maintained boat at the same time. It's essentially like 2 5year olds at an auction not wanting to be beat by the other. It's rare but when it happens $$$.

Hope the best for you, glad this went so well sounds like Yall can use the money
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-14-2015, 9:59 AM Reply   
Beleza, I listed it for 35k not 30k. It was recommended here in this thread to list for 30k. Everybody was telling me of the boats are are beatin up badly, engine looked like ****, interior cracking,etc. Most store their boats here outside some the Michigan winter has it's way with them. Ours has always been garage stored, whether we we stationed in Cali, Washington or hear. I had one guy even ask me to match the motor serial numbers to prove it was not new. Also When looking at new boats that I believe are over inflated in price tremendously, it creates a strong demand on the used marked for a well taken care of boat. But yes I believei got lucky as I listed for 35k and and was thinking I will let them talk me down a little and still be very happy.

I have a very busy schedule so I had to set the viewing up on a Saturday Morning. Pulled her out, set everything up including the fake-a-lake. So as they showed up it was common for buyers to being looking at her at the same time. The guy with the highest bid also happen to have 3k on hand for a deposit which I told him 1k will be none refundable. He only needed til Monday morning to start his loan with his bank. It would have been done by Tues., but it rain all week so we agreed to finalize it yesterday when he could pick up the boat and take her home with no rain.

Joel, it was funny because the first guy said he wanted it and we started talking and the other guy stepped and and said "I will give you 35.5 for it, that when it started and I just stood there in disbelief. Before I knew it it was 40.5 with a cash deposit, the other guy shook my hand, handed me his nis number and said call if the deal falls through.

BTW, I didn't get 1 nimble form OnlyInBoards.com or WW. All activity came from Craigslist!
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-15-2015, 6:18 AM Reply   
Sold used last year in the 30's prices range. Got 2 good leads from onlyinboards, and many good ones from Craigslist, ultimately sold to craigslist buyer as they were local and faster to respond.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
congrats Ken
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2015, 12:12 PM Reply   
I sold mine last weekend, 0 leads from onlyinboards, lots from craigslist.

Congratulations on the price, that is incredible! I think that is pretty much what it cost new, right?
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-15-2015, 9:10 PM Reply   
Well again, not fun that you had to sell it, but nothing like walking away with an extra $5-10k in your pocket to take away the sting.......
You sold at the right time of the year and it didn't hurt having the sickest looking boat in town!
Congrats.
Never had a bidding war on any of the junk I've sold, lol, except an NV 4500 trans. That was nice, got $200 over asking and the loser helped the winner load it up!