Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2016, 1:27 PM Reply   
Saw one of their boats on the Alliance expo video with surfgate. Quick Google search shows this...

https://www.boats.com/on-the-water/c...te-technology/

The whale tale on the video looks to be pretty much the same as what Malibu uses. You think it will translate? Also no mention of reverse drive being used.

Also wonder if it comes with something to store the body parts in when someone falls into the meat grinder.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-05-2016, 2:18 PM Reply   
The fourth paragraph of the article you linked said they're using the Forward Drive system in conjunction with Surf Gate

Last edited by Jmaxymek; 10-05-2016 at 2:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-05-2016, 5:08 PM Reply   
Chapparal was in the booth behind us at Surf Expo. Saw the surfgate and had to do a double take while setting up, was worried I was in the wrong spot lol

Zack @ Boat Bling

Last edited by Fourspeednup; 10-05-2016 at 5:17 PM.
Old     (Tallredrider)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-05-2016, 6:21 PM Reply   
There was a long discussion about this on the Malibu Crew. Opinions are varied, but plenty of Malibu guys are worked up about the company subleasing a critical component to another company.

I personally think this will hurt the inboard market in a bad way. I bet with a little time to make tweaks to the hull and with more ballast and Chappy will be making a wave every bit as good and maybe even better than any inboard.

I have seen 25 foot cruisers with no ballast and no surf gates put out a pretty massive wave all by themselves. Just wait until they are made specifically for that purpose.
Old     (230Nick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       10-06-2016, 11:40 AM Reply   
Also from my understanding, malibu is starting to hurt a little financially. I don't have any facts to back this up besides hear say. But with them "subleasing" out a big innovation such as surfgate, demonstrates to me that they are hurting a little financially.
Old     (Tallredrider)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-06-2016, 11:53 AM Reply   
Good thought, Nick. But their financials are public and they seem to be doing just fine.

One thought is that with all of the homebrew surf systems like Go Surf Assist and many of the other knock offs (NSS, MC's system, Tige's TAPS 3), they may not get a chance to sell this idea to anyone at some point. So they maximized their profits by at least getting someone to buy into it right now. With everything that has been created in the last few years, they probably wouldn't get anything out of it in a couple of more years.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-06-2016, 11:54 AM Reply   
Revenue grew by 9.8% for this year over last year so I don't know where you heard that...

Malibu owns a technology and can license it to whomeve they like. They probably make more money licensing the tech than they would lose in market share to chaparral.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-06-2016, 1:55 PM Reply   
^I'd agree with the second part here. Why not get in on it rather than losing out. There are a few non-tournament brands getting in to the surf market lately anyway.

Personally, I think this is kind of a good idea. There are plenty of people in the ocean boat world that would love to be able to do a few more watersports or surf with their boat and not everyone wants a salt series tourny boat. As someone that lives by the ocean I wish I could take my boat out to Vancouver and cruise around rather than being stuck on a lake all the time. Where I live you need an ocean boat, lake boat, and a river boat to take advantage of all the various boating activities. I contemplate the crossover boat quite often.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-06-2016, 2:19 PM Reply   
yup. Bu gets paid on every boat using their licensed technology. Nothing wrong with pulling in another revenue source without straining production resources and capital. Good move.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-06-2016, 3:50 PM Reply   
There's nothing cheap about those chappys listed, all of the ones with towers trying to be a wakeboard boat are very expensive, the 25 footer I saw 3+ Years ago on a custom 3 axle trailer and large custom rims was well over 100000.00. If I lived on A real salty estuary with offshore access I would pick one over a flat bottomed wake boat, but no if I didn't have offshore access. Maybe on a very large buzy lake as well

Last edited by granddaddy53; 10-06-2016 at 3:53 PM.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-07-2016, 4:00 AM Reply   
Got to do something to justify the cost. Add a tower add some ballast and now put a ugly flap on the rear just like a real wakeboat.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-07-2016, 9:23 AM Reply   
I think this is great for the industry as a whole. Prior to the surfing craze a decent wakeboat could be had new for less that $50k In fact I had the chance in 2004 to buy a brand new Centurion Elite V for just a hair over $35k. One of the reasons is there were stern drives that could put out pretty decent wakes and compete with the wakeboats. When surfing hit all of a sudden the wakeboats had a niche that could be exploited as demand rose. As the forward drive becomes more popular and the companies use it design new surf-specific hulls the competition will increase and the demand for wakeboats will go down. Hopefully this will come with a drop in pricing because frankly things have gone a little crazy.

It will be interesting to see how the stern drive manufacturers handle redesigning their hulls to be more performance oriented. It will also be interesting to see which wake boat manufacturer crosses over and puts a Forward Drive in a wakeboat.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-07-2016, 9:43 AM Reply   
I disagree. Stern drives couldn't compete with wakeboats and they became more popular and prices increased. With the surfing craze it allows stern drives to get back in the game and will hopefully pull consumers back and drive the prices down(ha!). If I was solely into surfing and could get a 27ft Cobalt that put out the same wake as a 25 ft wakeboat(not saying it does), I would go with the Cobalt for overall practicality.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-07-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
I disagree. Stern drives couldn't compete with wakeboats and they became more popular and prices increased. With the surfing craze it allows stern drives to get back in the game and will hopefully pull consumers back and drive the prices down(ha!). If I was solely into surfing and could get a 27ft Cobalt that put out the same wake as a 25 ft wakeboat(not saying it does), I would go with the Cobalt for overall practicality.
Exactly why do you think stern drives (by this I mean the Forward Drive) can't compete? If you're thinking drive system then you're up in the night. The engines sit in the same spot and the prop is roughly in the same place. In fact a Forward Drive may offer some wave making advantages because of the way it can be trimmed. All of the rest of it can be duplicated from hull shapes to surf systems.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-07-2016, 11:52 AM Reply   
I was saying they couldn't compete with wakeboats for wakeboarding hence their popularity increased as wakeboarding became more popular. Now that it has shifted to surfing we are seeing the pendulum swing a bit with the advent of forward drives in I/Os.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-07-2016, 2:33 PM Reply   
Gotcha.

There are some stern drives that were very good wake boats. My families old Gulfstream Calypso put out a stunningly good wave and didn't require ballast to do it. Besides the hull it also sported twin trim tabs that are very reminiscent of today's surf tabs that could be used to even out the wake side to side as well as putting the bow up or down to taste.

While my most of my friends were buying Mastercraft, Malibu and Centurion wakeboats another friend bought a Hydroswift. We'd compare them all at Lake Powell when we'd do houseboat trips. That Hydroswift could make a great wakes.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-09-2016, 6:48 AM Reply   
Hydroswift? I never even heard of them so I tried to look them up . The only ones I found had outboards and were last made in 1972. Did they start making them again?
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-10-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
They were making them in Utah at least until the mid-2000's.

This video is earlier than that but still kind of fun. Wasn't taken at Olympus High School like it says but rather at the Cottonwood Heights Rec Center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tclVvhc6uY