Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2015, 4:33 PM Reply   
hey guys
I need some stereo help

I bought a little '79 Stars and stripes, just to have some fun with. Bare footing, slalom, sky ski....etc.

It's a Kenwood setup
the head unit and amp provide for 4 speakers, but I have 6
I need help on how to wire

First off, I assume that I don't use any of the speaker leads coming out of the head unit, and only use those that come from the amp. right?

Should I put an inline fuse or a circuit breaker from the battery or the ignition lead?

How do I wire in the extra 2 speakers? I don't have a tower. The front 2 speakers are at the ends of the observation seat (1 on "front wall" facing rearward, 1 on port side "wall" facing in).
The 2 center speakers are on the engine box facing forwards. The final 2 are on each side of the rear set facing in.

thanks
Attached Images

Old     (CPanner)      Join Date: May 2015       06-23-2015, 4:46 PM Reply   
Can't help with the wiring, but very cool old setup.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2015, 5:02 PM Reply   
here's another pic

not much of a wake machine, but....
Attached Images

Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-23-2015, 5:18 PM Reply   
Cool pic with the old truck. Had a buddy with a Stars n Stripes, fun boats. Four 6x9's under the rear bench was plenty.

Specs on the amp?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2015, 7:10 PM Reply   
Kenwood KAC-M1804

400w
speaker 4 ohm
input 10 ohm
15 amp current consumption
Old     (SWEC)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-27-2015, 11:02 PM Reply   
To wire the speakers you'll have to verify their impedance (ohms). If the Amplifiers output impedance is rated at 4 ohms then you need to wire the speaker circuit in such a way that the total impedance of that circuit is 4 ohms.
There are 2 ways to wire speakers in a circuit; in series simply add the impedance of each speaker to get your total circuit impedance (2×8ohm speaker in series=16ohm circuit).
In parallel the math isn't so simple but since your speakers are most likely the same impedance if you wire 2 in parallel then the impedance will be half of the impedance of 1 of the speakers (2×8ohm speaker in parallel=4ohm circuit)
Or you could wire a circuit with series speakers paralleled with another set of series speakers (2×8ohm series (=16ohms) parallel with another 2x 8ohm series = 8ohms)
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2015, 2:41 PM Reply   
thanks for all of the replies. I bit the bullet and bought a second amp. Now I can listen to some tunes while I enjoy my new toy
Attached Images