Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-19-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
OK, moving to Denver has me going crazy to get back on the water.

Has anyone purchased a houseboat on Lake Powell? If so, what was your experience like? Did you have a company (or someone) manage your boat? Did you store the boat in the water or out? Did you share ownership?

I’d like to know about your experience or any tips.

Also, what boat manufacturers would you suggest? I’ve been looking at a few (new boats only) and I can’t tell any major differences. However, there are some with solar panels that are interesting.

Lastly, what is the cell phone service like on the lake? Anyone know?

**Some small items to cover so they don’t get repeated back to me: I’ve searched the archives here and went through nearly every post on Powell (awe inspiring pics!) I’m not really the “time share” type of person because I will actually use the houseboat more often so I am just looking to buy outright and decide to share or not later on. I’ve looked at a few new boats and I know the prices and the anchoring/buoy situation, and about the $1000 retrieval fee. My work is flexible so I may work from the boat off and on during the summer for a couple weeks at a time so the cell coverage is important (or Direct TV internet).
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-19-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
I have no information to share on Powell, but dang that sounds nice :-)
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-19-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Verizon is pretty decent in Padre Bay, Warm Creek Bay and Wahweap area. Other than that the more you go up the river you pretty much have no reception. I use my wireless card and have internet in tose places as well. Direct TV is good . The Timeshare we go on has it and it works great. But you have to be in satillite view for it to work.

As far as Buying a houseboat outright, there are probably not to many people on here that can afford to buy a $200K + houseboat.
I can tell you this , Housboats are not made real well. I Have been on all kinds of different houseboats and and have looked in the Logs and they are full of problems that have and need to be fixed. It is a Very Expensive venture to own a houseboat , But if you are willing to take that risk then more power to you.
Good Luck
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-19-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
Double U is right about houseboats not being built very well. You are better off buying one from someone who has rebuilt one, and can give you all of the resons why their modifications have made that particullar vessel better for Powell. You are asking the right questions,but take your time.Do a search at Yahoo groups for Powell Houseboats . There is community!
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-19-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
Yahoo groups look for: Lake Powell 2000. Not necessarilly houseboat related, but has 200 members and is the oldest lake powell site.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-19-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
GREAT INFORMATION!!

Thank you.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-20-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
My father bought a houseboat outright from the phoenix boat show back in 95. We were up at powell the whole summer. We bought a lakeview houseboat and was very happy with it. We had normal problems but nothing big. We sold it at the end of the summer for the same price that he bought it for. It was a lot of fun but at the same time it was a lot of work too. I believe we were in slip m33 at walweap. It is a teal and purple colors. Looked good back then. Any questions let me know.