Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (ctstarnes)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-09-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
I underwent ACL reconstruction yesterday after a running (I know) injury about a month ago. This was a patellar autograft. I am questioning the time to return to the wake board. 6 month is typical but i have some information showing 4 months a possibility. I ask to see if any of you have personal experience with this injury/surgery...
Thanks Chris Starnes
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-09-2007, 9:37 PM Reply   
6 months
Old    DRA            02-09-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
I had surgery on January 18th 2006 and rode again towards the end of June. I definately recomend making sure your strength is back prior to riding. I think I was a little early. It is just in the recent months that I am feeling almost normal in my knee.
Old    meyerb            02-09-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
DEpends on your rehab and strength. I waited 12 months until I got on the wakeboard and took it super easy because I was afraid to hurting it again(medial and lateral menisci). For me I would rather save my knees for the snow and stick to wakeskating.

Take it easy for sure and be conscious about doing wake to wake tricks. I wish I had people warn me about landing in the flats. After years of that, knees are toasted!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-10-2007, 4:53 AM Reply   
I wouldn't push anything in 4mos, since it take about 3-4mos for the vascularity to form in the graft.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2007, 5:27 AM Reply   
Christopher. This truly depends on how you ride when you start back. If you ride easy and nothing goes wrong 4 months is fine. The question is can you stay down on the water for another 2 whole months after you get back on the board.

(Message edited by saroberts70 on February 10, 2007)
Old    sealyon.net            02-10-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
I would'nt rush it...it's not worth another surgery, and more scare tissue added to your knee. Stretch and work out every chance you get.
Old     (christopher)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
When I was in high school I tore my ACL and MCL in february of 2001. I was scheduled for surgery on March 13. I had my Recon done and they used 1/3 of my hammstring. I was off it COMPLETLEY for 2 weeks. I then had an appointment with my Orthopedic Surgeon. He took my crutches from me and told me to go to the Physical Therapy Place. I went every day for 5 months. After about 2 months of therapy I was jogging on my knee and doing strength training. My goal was football not wakeboarding. I was playing football after 5 months to the day of my surgery. I have never had any trouble with my knee. I spent a lot of time in the physical therapy office though. I consider my reconstructed knee to be the better of the 2 that I have. I feels better than my other knee that I've never had any problems with. When I ride know it gives my no trouble what so ever. I would say if you want to ride this summer, do a ton of physical therapy.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-10-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Chris, there are a lot of other factors involved than just "the average time back". Age, activity and ROM before surgery, swelling after surgery, personal re-hab abilities, atrophy etc. There is no real Guaranteed date, or average date that can apply to everyone that works hard or doesnt. I had heard stories of people getting back at it as soon as 3 months with allographs and 4 with autographs. Having mine done in late december and being ABSOLUTELY dilligent in every aspect of re-hab it doesnt seem too far off. Just do everything your doctor and therapist tells you; and most of all get that ROM back asap!

One of the little tricks I did that helped me during rehab was to use a massager that vibrates to help fight the scar tissue build up. While watching tv or simply laying around I would hold it next to the two largest areas of scare tissue and just let it vibrate away. It would noticeably reduce the scare tissue as well as decrease that "tightness".
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-10-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
Great advice from everyone. I've blown both of mine while wakeboarding, so I have some experience as well. After my first surgery, it was about 8 months before I could ride again, and my strength had not come back yet. After my 2nd surgery, I was ready to go in about 4 months - it just depends on so many things.

Rehab and strength training, range of motion, etc. is so important - just DON'T PUSH IT!! It's not worth a re-injury.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-10-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
I rode starting riding the roam at 4 months, and started hitting the wake at 6 months, with a cti2. I had my surgery February 15th, 2006, and I'm just getting to the point where I don't notice it at all.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-10-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
All these guys are right on. I've helped rehab lots of people after ACL recon-a few made the return to sports in 4 mos., but they weren't too confident. There's more to it than just the physical side- the mental side of it-when you first start whatever sport-sometimes takes longer...
Old     (ctstarnes)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-10-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
thanks for all the posts, i will let you all know more as i go...i had just got into wakeboarding last summer. im 31, there was no swelling or other injury.... thanks!
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-10-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
I had ACL reconstruction August 10th and used my own pateller tendon. Today was exactly 6 months post surgery and I will ride for the first time again next Saturday. I have been working my legs out really hard in the gym and the strength is pretty equal in both. I dont think I wouldve tried to ride 4 months post surgery but everyones different.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-14-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
I got cleared in 4 months post acl/medial meniscus with the pattellar thendon autograph. I have no brace, and have been snoboarding since dec 5th. hard work in therapy is key, and going into surgery strong. don't let anyone tell you different, it can be done
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-14-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
Seven, thats great! I have heard of the allograph resulting in faster re-hab times but your autograph is impressive. When was your surgery date, and what do you think about going braceless immediately?
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-14-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
My doctor told me if I had an allograph, he would have put me in a brace becuase they are weaker in the long run. With the allograph you can rehab faster, but getting back to 100% actually takes longer. The problem with the autograph from the patella is that you have a harder time getting back range of motion and getting your quads to fire. Knowing my acl now is very strong, however I was fine with going braceless. It was an option with my doctor, due to how well I did in therapy. I went braceless becuase I was afraid that I would get dependent on it in the long run. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous at times when I ride. My surgery date Was July 27th, and I got cleared Dec. 2nd. I am convinced that it can be done by anyone though
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-14-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
My therapist told me that if you go back too soon, the graft won't be fully-developed into a ligament, that it would still be tendon-like. When it is tendon like it is more susceptible to injury, and the graft may stretch out if strained, and you may not even know. My therapist's job wasn't to push me, but to set limits and make sure I didn't go too hard too soon.

I went into surgery very strong since I tried to rehab it and not have surgery. I worked very hard in physical therapy, I felt like I could have rode at 3 months, but I didn't because of what my therapist told me. Not trying to scare anyone, just relaying what was told to me. I'm well aware of Dr's differing views on the human body.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-15-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
Which surgery did you have thane?