Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
I have been searching the internet for the warmest heater shirt i can find and havent been able to narrow my list down very much. So I thought it might be a good idea to ask some people here at wakeworld. Which heater shirt is the warmest?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-04-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I wear the superfreak, I can't say much about the rest, but if you can get a good deal, pick one up. It kept me warm for 3 days straight of 55 degree air at the KCW cablepark at the end of last season.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
What was the water temp?
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
I was looking at the jetpilot f35, Oneill Gooru glide, Billabong platoon ls thermal, Billabong equator revolution ls thermal, quiksilver cell 1mm thermal, quiksilver cell 1mm ls jacket, and oneill gooru ls 1.5mm neo top. Anybody used any of these? Was it warm? Please list water temp, air temp, and if it kept you warm or not
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
IMO, they are all about the same. The difference that matters most is the thickness of the neo. The thicker it is, the warmer you will be.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I cant find the thickness for the f35. Does anybody know what the thickness is?
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-04-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
2 mill.......
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-04-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
its says on two different sites that the f35 is only 1mm
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-04-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
maybe im confused..........the f 22 32 or whatever must b 2 then..correct?
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
theres an f18 an f22 and this year they came out withe the f35.
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/x4ybm
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-04-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
anyone know if the CWB Faction is any good?
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
where do they have the cwb faction?
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-04-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
www.boardstop.com has the faction, it's 1.5mm thick
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-04-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
Ripcurl Hotskin is the best I have ever put on. It is made out of a different material than the others that is amazing. I've been in far thicker suits that didn't work half as well.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-05-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
where could i get a ripcurl hotskin?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-05-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
http://www.tactics.com/rip-curl/hotskin-long-sleeve-jacket

I also saw it available on wakeside but they only have size small, however, if that's your size it is about $20 cheaper.

Don't let the .5mm fool you, the titanium liner is no joke and will keep you amazingly warm. Make sure you get it tight though.

I promise you will not be disspointed!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-05-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
Hey, I've got the other CWB top which I think is the same construction with different graphics. I really like it. It's the only top I've every worn where I've peeled it and found it to be dry inside (not everywhere, but around my chest, arms and elbows I was still completely dry). I think a lot of depends on how well it fits, but I was really impressed. I wear mine when the water temp dips into the low 60's. That and trunks and I'm good as long as air is high 60's to 70's.

I've had the O'neil guru before and it was nic also, although it flushed a lot more water through than the CWB top.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-05-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
They have the CWB stuff at buywake.com, too...

I think the one I have is called the Delta top. Grey, white and black... Plus it's reversible (kinda cool, eh?)
Old    DRA            02-05-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
And if you go to Buywake and type in DRA in the promo code you get some more off the price.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-05-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
COUPON EXPIRED
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-05-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
I'll second the RipCurl Hotskin. Anything from RipCurl is pretty damn good IMO.
Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       02-05-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
i have the jetpilot f35. its pretty thick, although i havent gotten to use it yet. but i tried it out in the cold shower and it was great.
Old     (slowake)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-06-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
The warmest "heater shirt" would probably be the Body Glove Vapor shirt. It is using their new water resistant neoprene that non of these other companies mentioned have. The also have .5mm, 1mm reversible, 2/1mm with zip entry, and 2mm shirts. Don't forget Body Glove invented the neoprene wetsuit so no surprise they are leading with innovation and new technology.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-06-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
JP: i thought F22 was 2mil. F17 1 mil. F35? has to be 3/2?

Not sure. but I've got the F17. its pretty thin but works well in 65'ish water
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
Tim, the Ripcurl Hotskin made out of a different material form the others too. I'm not saying it is better than what Bodyglove has but it would be tought to beat. I'd love to do a test of a bunch of different heater shirts and see what works best. But here's my testimonial on my Hotskin:

I got mine as a Christmas present a few years ago. Despite being in Az we still have cold water temps in the winte, low 60s to high 50s. I use a drysuit in the winter. Right after I got my Hotskin we went out riding. I brought along a girl who'd never been before. She wasn't sure if she wanted to ride so we all took our sets. Byt the time she decided to go it was getting late and the sun was no longer shining. (Canyon Lake) We suited her up in the drysuit and threw her in. No matter what we told her or how hard she tried she could not get up.
In the summer time if someone can't get up I jump in and hold there body in the right position. But it was freezing and I really didn't want to. But she really wanted to get up. I pulled on the Hotskin expecting it would do next to nothing for me. (just like a wetsuit would at that temp.) I jumped in and immediately gasped for air. But I quickly noticed that although my legs were freezing my upper body was surprisingly warm. Not just "not as cold as my legs" but warm! I had on a .5mm "shirt" and it was doing a better job than any wetsuit I'd ever worn. Anyway, I finally get my friend up and jumped back in the boat. My legs were blue but my upper body felt great.

I lost my hotskin a while back so for fall riding I got a 1.5mm quiksilver top off of eBay. It didn't do half (literally half) as good a job keeping me warm despite being over twice as thick. I bought a new hotskin.

(end disertation)
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-11-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
where do they have the body glove vapor shirts??
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-12-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
whats the f35????????...looks sweet imo!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-12-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
Amazing how good wetsuits work, Josh. Spending the coin on decent wetsuits makes all the difference. We were riding in 48 degree water last weekend. My feet and hands were freezing, but my body was completely comfortable in my 3/2. I think my current suit is a quicksilver. Kinda of a strange material (not straight Neo), but it works killer.

Like I said before.... the CWB delta and Faction tops work great. My old Gooru O'neil was good, too, but not quite as good as the Delta that I've got now. The Delta is a bit thicker though. I'd say it's at least a 2mil.
Old     (hydeout22)      Join Date: May 2006       02-18-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
Hey Josh, you sold me on that ripcurl heater shirt. One question. I found a website that carries the Rip Curl Core Standard Hotskin S/S Jacket which is $54 and .5mm thick, and then they have a Rip Curl Classic 1mm L/SL Jacket which is $59. They are made the same except the 1mm is twice as thick, or is there a secret technology in the hotskin that is not in the classic. The classic has long sleeves and the hotshirt is short sleeves. I want the warmer of the two. I am not
necessarly going to buy from that website, just using it as a reference.
http://www.pacwave.net/wetsuits/ripcurl-wetsuit-accessories.php
Thanks
Old     (hydeout22)      Join Date: May 2006       02-18-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
Hey Josh, you sold me on that ripcurl heater shirt. One question. I found a website that carries the Rip Curl Core Standard Hotskin S/S Jacket which is $54 and .5mm thick, and then they have a Rip Curl Classic 1mm L/SL Jacket which is $59. They are made the same except the 1mm is twice as thick, or is there a secret technology in the hotskin that is not in the classic. The classic has long sleeves and the hotshirt is short sleeves. I want the warmer of the two. I am not
necessarly going to buy from that website, just using it as a reference.
Thanks
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
The hotskin has a metalite coating that reflects heat back to your body.
http://www.perfski.com/index.cfm?cart_action=item_info&item_guid=7075be28-0cc1-4f88-a5aa-749449e84c85&category_guid=fdb5265b-65bf-d230-4f6f-078dcd5af88b

Looks better IMO.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
Mike, The one I have is on the far right of that website: the Rip Curl Core Standard Hotskin L/S Jacket. Like Colin said, the hotskin has the metallic coating that does the job so well. I'm sure that the short sleeve one would also work well if that's what you really want but the hotskin does such a good job protecting from windchill that I'd recommend long sleeves. Also make sure it is tight on you. (One of the best part about the hotskin is when you finish your set or accidently let go of the handle. When you are slowly sinking into the water the hot air trapped in the skin exits at your neck so you get this rush of warm air across your face as you go down.)

If you end up getting one, Mike, give us a review!

Evan, I've been in a few wetsuits (Quicksilver, Jetpilot, and I forget the others) and it may have been the case that they didn't fit me like they should have. I would imagine that some wetsuits would have to do a better job than the Hotskin otherwise it seems that everyone would only be using them. I also was not trying to knock on Quicksilver for a deficient product. My 1.5mm Quicksilver top works, it's just that the Hotskin worked way better. The other wetsuits I've tried on worked, it's just I found the Hotskin worked way better. Oh, and the Hotskin is designed to go under a wetsuit and that combination is really killer!

(Message edited by joshugan on February 18, 2007)
Old     (hydeout22)      Join Date: May 2006       02-18-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
Yeah, think I am going with the longsleve hotskin on the site that colin pointed out. Here, they don't list the longsleeve as a hotskin, only the short sleve.

I am planning on putting it under my 3/2 wetsuit in May, and then just use the top all summer when it warms up. Just have to find out how to seal my zipper on my wetsuit. I found out that is where the water is coming in.

I am going to get that shirt for my birthday. Just have to find out what size I am, a store in Toronto, Canada that carries them.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-18-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
JOsh your telling me that the raptor hotskin at .5mm is gonn a keep me warmer then the rip curl 2mm elasto heater top??

im not saying your wrong but that seems like a stretch to me and the 2mm is more money..

that would be cool to wear less and stay just as warm but id hate to buy it and be wrong..
Old     (hydeout22)      Join Date: May 2006       02-18-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
http://www.perfski.com/index.cfm?cart_action=category_detail&category_gui d=fdb5265b-65bf-d230-4f6f-078dcd5af88b&manufacturer_guid=17a10466-ab9a-47a3-90b2-bae6b753ad39

What about the elasto 2/2 top? Would that be warmer? Or stick with the longsleve hotskin.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2007, 10:17 PM Reply   
Bill, I myself would not believe it if it hadn't worked so well for me. A number of my friends were so blown away by it that they have bought their own. I had a guy looking for a pull one spring break from N.J. and he ended up buying one because he was so impressed when he tried mine. I think a full 2/2 suit will work better than a hotskin top (in keeping you warm all over) but unless a 2/2 top has the same inner material as the Hotskin I'd bet on the Hotskin.

Mike, I really believe in the warmth of the Hotskin. Plus you will not lose much mobility with one, whereas if you combine a 2/2 with your 3/2 you'll lose quite a bit more.

(Message edited by joshugan on February 18, 2007)
Old    malibu73            02-19-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
What temp. is the heater shirt used for(ballpark) All i have right now is a Short sleeve spring suit, would it be beneficial to get a l/s heater shirt and wear it over the spring suit?
Old     (hydeout22)      Join Date: May 2006       02-19-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
Hey josh, what size did you get and how big are you? I think I am either a medium or large. Found this sizing chart but don't think its the right one.

http://www.kiteworld.net/rc_wetsuit_size_details.shtml

I am about 5'11" and 180 lbs during the summer. Want to order one for my B-day.

Thanks

P.S. Does anyone know where I can order a waterproof zipper for drysuits? Hard to find them. I found out my wetsuit problem, leaks through the zipper bad so going to glue a waterproof one over it. that should make it warmer as it doesn't leak at the ankles and wrists or anywhere else.

Thanks again
Old     (crs)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-19-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
I recommend the Jet Pilot F22. I bought one last year and it has served me well. I wear under my dry suit and it keeps me warm on the coldest days. I have used it a lot this winter and it is holding up. No signs of wear.