Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
Everyone talks about the weight of these boards, but I have yet been able to find anything printed. Has anyone weighed their board that they bought or is it online in specs anywhere? It would seem to me if they have such a competitive advantage with their weight they would print this stuff. Last check and their web site was not up.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-16-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   
I have a new Covin and I dont know the spec but it is really light.
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
Matt, do you wave a scale? If so stick that puppy on there and let us know. What size also. Thanks.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-16-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
Jeff,

We took a good long look @ the Ronix equipment at the show.... They boards were pressed pretty solid from what I could see & seemed lighter, I am guessing 1/2 to 1 lb. The boots were even more noticeably lighter I would say easy 1 - 2 lbs maybe more...

Lzy
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-16-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I have an 04 Absolute 141 and that thing is a tank. I believe it weighs 7/8 lbs bare.
I went to the boat show and checked the Ronix boards and they are light. They had a 137 One board w/ the One boots and it felt lighter than my Absolute deck by itself!!
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
Maybe someone at a boardshop could chine in with some specs of the boards they have in stock. It would be nice to have actual numbers compared to another leading board company. You don't even need to mention names of the other company (don't want to step on toes of any reps out there)
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-16-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
has anyone ridden the covenant and hit rails with it i want to buy it as a rail board but havent heard anything about it
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-16-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
harf's complete one setup is 5 pounds lighter than his hyperlite complete setup if that gives you any idea how light the equipment is
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-16-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
I'd check that one for yourself. I don't think the boards are any lighter. I do think the bindings are lighter. I actually thought the boards were pretty heavy. They're super thick tip/tail like the hyperlite boards are.

Someone needs to get a scale so we can kill this debate since no specs are available.
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Agreed, as I mentioned everyone talks, but no specs yet. If they are that much lighter it should show pretty quickly in a comparison on a scale. If available could someone also weigh the bindings. Thanks.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-16-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
I've found it very difficult to get weights from the manufacturer. One major manufacturer told me it's because it's tough to get a consistent weight due to the inconsistencies in the foam that makes up the core. So they don't want to publish a particular weight and then have a customer come back and say they lied, even though that might be a correct number as far as average weight goes.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-16-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
I agree with what Dave says. I picked up the cutaway from the new Byerly board at the show. It was supposed to show the new technique to build the fins, but the part I found really interesting was how porous the foam. There were 1/4" bubbles in spots. I could see weights being very inconsistent on that basis.

I also think weights are deceiving. What could be perceived as a light board could have high swing weight if it had it's material evenly distributed. Whereas a heavier board with it material concentrated in the middle could actually feel lighter in the air.

Personally I don't get really wrapped up in boardweight. I've never felt like it caused a hinderance. I pick my boards on ride quality, not spec sheets.
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-16-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Mute point then? As a board whore I was looking and hoping to have a new baby to rave about. Local board shop has very limited supply of product due to the small riding scene around here. Can't blame them, only so much the market can support.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-16-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
I actually like a little heavier board. seems to be more stable in the air, and also a little easier to ride when the conditions aren't ideal.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-16-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
"harf's complete one setup is 5 pounds lighter than his hyperlite complete setup if that gives you any idea how light the equipment is "

I would have to see that to believe it.

Even if you shaved a pound off each boot, which is A LOT, that means they shaved 3 pounds off the board, which seems impossible. He's also running 4 bolt-on fins with are inherently heavier.
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-16-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
harfs setup actually might have been because he was probably using the prototype mounting system which doesn't use the standard base plate, it was more like a step in snowboard binding plate

so it may be possible that it was correct

i don't know exact weight, but my one and one bindings weighed less than my roam with shane bindings on it
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
well i picked them up at the boat show and the ronix One felt about the same as my current 2006 141 absolute platinum give or take a 1/2 pound..they felt about the same ..
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-16-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
I looked at a One at Performance last weekend, and it weighed about the same as my 05 Absolute Plat 141...
Old     (tsbs)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-16-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
I'm sure someone will get the scale out at some point, but I'll have to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

Anyone else hear that Thirty-Two is making the Ronix bindings, hence the snowboard style. I though they looked pretty cool.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-16-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
I was at OWC during Expo and talked to the team riders about the gear. They said that the liners were made by the same place that makes the heat moldable liners for 32. I guess that they could be making the entire boot I just remember the comment about the liners.
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-16-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
the ronix setups are really light but danny's is actually the heaviest board out of all of them.... but its still kinda light.
the boards look good and fun to ride though.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-16-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
It's the total package that is lighter, special nod to the bindings, which are vastly lighter. It's also not hype, and also why they were NOT discussed in detail in the "gear" issue of Alliance. Check them out for yourself. I don't own them, but to take some useless lbs. off the feet, doesn't sound like a bad thing....
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       01-18-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
I decided to try to weigh my ronix one 137 for everyone. I used a tanita digital scale. My board weighs exactly 8.0 pounds with fins. I also weighed a few other boards that I have laying around.

all other boards are without fins (I didnt feel like finding them)
OLD hyperlite BAFF - 9.0 pounds
Wake Tech Gator Pro 133 - 7.6
2001? Hyperlite Juvi 131 - 7.4
20001 Sound Harris Pro (140cm i think) - 8.4
2003 Hyperlite Premier 135 (Era) DNA 7.1
2004 Hyperlite Landlock surfboard 9.4
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-18-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
Drew, thanks for taking time to do that.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       01-18-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
Sure, although I have decided that it is tough to compare the other boards that I have to my new Ronix because the other boards are way narrower than the Ronix. If the other boards had the same surface area as the ronix they would definitely weigh the same or more. The DNA might be close.
Old     (hydeout22)      Join Date: May 2006       02-16-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
My 2006 Shane 140 weighs in at 8.2 lbs with fins, no boots ofcourse.