Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-07-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
Mainly because I want to burn a week of vacation in March / April this year ... Anyone got any opinions on wakeboard camps?

I wanna layout my skill level so you can tell me if I could benefit from this:
I'll be honest, I can get w2w but that's about it. My grabs suck. I think my biggest problem is fear.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Go, it will help a ton, especially in confidence if you go to the right one. I went to Dean Lavelle's and ti certainly helped me a ton. Especially with overcoming my fear of doing certain things (ts w2w). He has this thing he does when driving that you never fall, so that helps gain confidence and to get the feel of landing the trick, so you can then do it without the help.

Very good prices also, check it out www.wakeboard-school.com
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-07-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Some reviews here

http://dcwake.com/content/view/60/5/
Old     (slowake)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-07-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Not all camps are in FL. Check out the delta pics link and then consider the
www.deltawakeboardcamp.com
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-07-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
Go to cali if you want to work on your steez.

Go to Florida for reliably nicer weather that time of year.

Before I get flamed here, remind me again what the spring was like last year in California. I seem to remember non stop rain and cold as weather.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
www.orlandowake.com

Sean O'brien head instructor.
Now offers a nice place to stay as well.
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-07-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
if your a relative beginner i would go to the wakeboard camp
their teaching style is very structured and a lot of drills to help you. i have been to both the projects and the wakeboard camp and went to the wbc first. i don't think i would have progressed nearly as much at the projects the first time.
the way the camp is structured is just more beneficial towards beginners and learning the fundamentals imo.
not saying you can't learn more than that there because they have some of the best riders in the world as their coaches. i just think that is the best place to go your first time around
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-07-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
where do you want to go for vacation?
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-07-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
The Boarding School with Travis Moye and Shaun Murray gets my vote. They limit the students to 5 only--which gives you unlimitted riding and attention(no timer for your sets). I have been several times and will be going back soon. They have improved my riding tremendously and helped me overcome fear of tryng new moves(by working on the basics and breaking things down step by step). Have fun!! Good luck!!
Old     (shoulin)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-07-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
My vote boarding school, Granted its the only one I went to but really liked it. Bring some Bucketmouth gear to fish in the evenings by the third night you get cabin fever pretty bad.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
My usual response to these threads www.otownwatersports.com I have never heard any bad feedback about any of the above mentioned camps so I think your pretty safe with all of them, should add Mike Schwenne's camp if your looking west coast.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-07-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
See -- 'Cabin Fever' is what I worry about ... I dont know if I could handle wakeboarding all day and then sitting at the house all night, esp on vacation :-)
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-07-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
Clayton
you think that until you get there and realize you are so tired and beat up from riding that you hope to be recovered by morning--just to do it again!!!!!!!
Old     (dmonte3283)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-07-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Sean O'Brien @ Orlando Wakeboard Academy
www.orlandowake.com
Old     (mikeymarsh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-07-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
Theboardingschool.com Shaun and travis are awsome guys!!! Check them out!
Old     (dekay)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-07-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
Your DEFINATELY going to want to go to Dean Lavelle's school, LTS. He is the BEST coach in the industry by far because he's been around wakeboarding for such a long time and seen it grow so much. www.wakeboard-school.com - 954520620. He's taught me everything I know. He gets extremely personal with you and can help you with problems that don't involve wakeboarding too. He doesn't keep 15 campers at a time so it's definetly more one-on-one training then most schools which is a big factor in progressing. Not only is Dean a great coach, he is also a great friend.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
^^^^ what he said
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-07-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
the wakeboard camp is by far the best its in clermont, FL and the way they teach makes the most sense they break down the tricks into basic parts and chad lowe and kyle schmidts are the best coaches and aaron reed, ben greenwood, keith lyman, and a couple others coach there
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-07-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
I'd have to give the nudge to the the boarding school...

They take all levels.. I am a novice learning the basics and they help me get a foundation to build on.

Plus it neat to see other riders at the camp at various different levels.

Everyone is very friendly and helpful. And know how to have a good time on the water!

www.theboardingschool.com
Old     (josh_r_skater)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-07-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
ncwc
Old     (cbphillips74)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-15-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
We're headed to WWC the first week of March, any opinions on the Hansen's camp?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
Good camp, Andy & Jonnie will treat you right. Great lake, good food, good coaching. Have fun